English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 29 April 2011, 23:05   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Retrogaming multiplatform machine in C64 case

Hi:
While I'm still inside an A1200 BPPC project I've started another project: a retrogaming multiplatform machine using a Mini ITX and a broken C64.

It was around two weeks ago that I saw a project here of a similar one inside an A1200. By now I've got enough parts to show it, but still will have to wait for more parts. I'm nervous waiting to have all the parts to show it working, but I thought that I don't have to be the only one desperately waiting, and that if I show it here you can be too...

Well, first I bought a broken C64, that was worse than expected: very dirty color, broken plastic at the rear part, broken mobo, broken plastic tabs to close it, rusty Commodore logos...

Afortunately I've retrobrighted it, fixed the broken tabs and I had some nice logos.

I know the C64x from the CUSA people isn't something we like here. This is not the thread to talk about it, but of course I think we can compare them as they are over the same idea. I just will comment that my idea is that as I only represent myself, can make it for my own, with a broken C64, just like if I were using a keyrah, that I will be using, but instead of leaving the PC outside, I will put it inside it.

I've got to say that I don't think the CUSA one is well designed. I've seen how they are letting the CD in the upper part of the case, and the only way they will be opening the case will be that the Cd is inside the case (well, the original plate of the power switch and the joysticks is inside the case), but I don't like it that way. I've put it from the middle.

The second thing I don't like is that they aren't using that original plate, but they have put there a multicard reader.

The third thing: " A Keyboard Better Than the Original " Jojojo... That's just they can't use the original one. If you want a keyboard better than the original you'll be buying another thing, jejeje.

I've been searching, and by now there isn't any project like this already working (I can be wrong, but I didn't find it), of course neither the CUSA one.

I've done several things in the inside, but as still I'm waiting for part for it, I think I will only show the outside by now.

Well, this is my project:

I'm planning to use Windows 7 Ultimate, but will use Aros too. Any comment about it will be appreciated.

EDIT: I'm planning to change the dvd bezel. I've ordered one with white logos.

Last edited by Retrofan; 24 July 2012 at 00:26.
Old 30 April 2011, 00:13   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Congratulations, mate, your handiwork looks very impressive from the outside.

Can't wait for you to open the case and let us see if it looks as good on the inside.

What platforms are you hoping to support?
Old 30 April 2011, 00:13   #3
Kitty

great stuff Retrofan, looks really good so far, can't wait to see the inside too
Old 30 April 2011, 00:19   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Great work there Retrofan Since you told me about it, I was eager to see what it would be like and I'm not disappointed at all Showing those CUSA guys how to do it is certainly good stuff
Old 30 April 2011, 00:20   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

What hardware? Hopefully fast enough to emulate WinVice with proper reSID settings. Looks indeed very nice.
Old 30 April 2011, 00:20   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks mates, I'm thinking now how in two weeks I can have (IMHO) a better design than the multimillionar CUSA people (if they wish to pay me...).

I'm waiting for the Keyrah still, and that will be a difficult part, as I don't have room where it has to go, but all is fitting in my mind.

The hardest part by now has been to change the height of the original keyboard, as I'm using a similar to the Cusa guys mini ITX one (well it has the same Dual Core 525 Atom processor and nVidia ION2 graphics chipset), and they are using a "modern" IBM keyboard. I had to cut the keyboard plastic supports and glue them in it's sides. I've won around 1,5 cms in height. As you can see, it's closing perfect now.

EDIT: You've almost convinced me: two posts more and I will show a photo of the inside.
I'm planning to install... ALL the retro emulators. Of course the main one will be Amiga Forever, but C64 Forever too (I've already ordered a CD), Spectrum and of course MAME. I've installed a 500Gb HD.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 May 2011 at 04:02.
Old 30 April 2011, 00:31   #7
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've been searching, and by now there isn't any project like this already working (I can be wrong, but I didn't find it), neither of course the CUSA one.
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

I always find these projects very interesting and I think your's is shaping very nice. As soon you have your inside properly filled up would be nice some photos.

Keep it up!
Old 30 April 2011, 00:38   #8
thgill

Better be careful, CUSA is liable to come and sue ya!

Great work on the mod.
Old 30 April 2011, 00:43   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

I always find these projects very interesting and I think your's is shaping very nice. As soon you have your inside properly filled up would be nice some photos.

Keep it up!
Do you think I didn't see it? But read:
"so a few things have been added on the to-do list:
- Getting the keyboard to function. I tried squeezing the standard PS2 foil in the keyboard but with limited success and destroying the original wiring"

¿¿¿???

Ok, I'll show the inside, but it will be tomorrow, with light... And remember: I ordered the parts two weeks ago, but I'm working on it only since I received them; three days ago.

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 April 2011 at 01:01.
Old 30 April 2011, 01:08   #10
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Do you think I didn't see it? But read:
"so a few things have been added on the to-do list:
- Getting the keyboard to function. I tried squeezing the standard PS2 foil in the keyboard but with limited success and destroying the original wiring"
Ah! I've read it many eons ago I really didn't recalled that part.

Well the guy didn't had Keyrah back then.
Old 30 April 2011, 01:45   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a doubt about Aros: will it be better to make a partition for it or can I use it from a pendrive? What do you suggest?

I like too when I start the PC with the Amiga Forever Cd inside, I've got it as a bootable OS, but I can't (or I don't know how to) get access to the PC files.
Is there a way to have access to them? And if I did a bootable partition could I add there other files so I could have games and others?

Sorry for the newbie's questions.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 August 2015 at 04:43.
Old 30 April 2011, 11:32   #12
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Awesome work Retrofan mate! It looks really slick
Everything put together seems really nice. I'd love to see some inside photos as well.
Old 30 April 2011, 13:16   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, here you are (by now):

I've spent: mini ITX (105,23€), 150 watts Pico PSU (48,37€), 500GB Hard drive (29,99€), internal card reader (0,99€), internal usb-wifi with antenna (0,99€), cd/dvd drive (16,41€), a sata cable (1,35€), and 2Gb Ram (23,90€). Well, all this for 227,23€.

The mobo is an Asus AT5IONT-I with 1,8Ghz

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 April 2011 at 13:39.
Old 30 April 2011, 14:01   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I've spent: mini ITX (105,23€), 150 watts Pico PSU (48,37€), 500GB Hard drive (29,99€), internal card reader (0,99€), internal usb-wifi with antenna (0,99€), cd/dvd drive (16,41€), a sata cable (1,35€), and 2Gb Ram (23,90€). Well, all this for 227,23€.
Thanks for the info
Old 30 April 2011, 14:15   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
looks absolutely great

where did you get the internal usb-wifi with antenna from plz ??
Old 30 April 2011, 15:18   #16
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
looks absolutely great

where did you get the internal usb-wifi with antenna from plz ??

Thanks mate. The usb wifi here http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...STRK:MEBDIX:IT (Oh, sorry, it was 1,11€, 0,99GBP, and isn't exactly "internal"), and the USB card reader to the same guy http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...STRK:MEBDIX:IT

I'm planning to make a vintage Commodore/Amiga tank mouse with freewheel and wireless (donnor ordered from China for 7,68€, free sending and nano usb dongle adapter), although surely I will leave the cable just to have it like the original.

As you can see I've searched the cheapest parts. The mini ITX is worth around 150-200€. I got it "as new" from a 0 votes seller, but I hadn't doubt about him, as he has 3 shops more in Ebay (nobody likes to buy to a new seller, so I was happy to see that and win the auction).

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 May 2011 at 00:35.
Old 30 April 2011, 16:24   #17
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thanks for that
Old 30 April 2011, 16:38   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I like too when I start the PC with the Amiga Forever Cd inside, I've got it as a bootable OS, but I can't (or I don't know how to) get access to the PC files. Is there a way to have access to them?
The Amiga Forever CD boots to Amiga OS (Amithlon) running on KX Lite, which is a variant of Knoppix (Linux).

It is possible to install these files to your hard drive in a Windows 98, i.e. FAT32, partition, IIRC, to get it to boot in the same way from your hard drive.

Because it is then booting from a FAT32 partition, it is relatively simple to "see" other FAT32 partitions which may contain PC files.

There is a thread here which outlines the procedure for getting Amiga Forever to boot from your hard drive. I'll see if I can find it and post a link here for you.

Edit: Here it is:
Mouse problem Amiga Forever Knoppix

PS. Some or all of the links are now dead. Let me know if you would like access to the files mentioned and I'll upload them for you.

Last edited by prowler; 30 April 2011 at 16:53.
Old 30 April 2011, 18:05   #19
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You could use WinUae as your main shell in Windows - can be a bit fiddly
and tidy mod -your hardware mods are always tidy.
Old 30 April 2011, 18:24   #20
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

A thing of beauty!