English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 December 2017, 15:27   #1
mr.micro

73G Fujitsu w/a2000

Hi all,

So I'm positive this has been asked (and covered) a few times before, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

I'm trying to get a 73g HDD 80pin SCSI (external) formatted for storage on my A2000 and/or A1200 ( I have a Blizzard 060 w/SCSI & GVP030/28 Combo for A2000)) and I cannot get HDinstTOols to recognize it on the A2000 after updating to 3.9 and the A1200 has 3.5 on it, can see the drive, but won't let me partition it to format. I have moved SFS into the 'L' drive, but it doesn't do anything when selecting it.

Any help please?

Best,
J
Old 12 December 2017, 23:36   #2
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.micro View Post
Hi all,

So I'm positive this has been asked (and covered) a few times before, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

I'm trying to get a 73g HDD 80pin SCSI (external) formatted for storage on my A2000 and/or A1200 ( I have a Blizzard 060 w/SCSI & GVP030/28 Combo for A2000)) and I cannot get HDinstTOols to recognize it on the A2000 after updating to 3.9 and the A1200 has 3.5 on it, can see the drive, but won't let me partition it to format. I have moved SFS into the 'L' drive, but it doesn't do anything when selecting it.

Any help please?

Best,
J
Don't use HDinsttools. Just use 3.9 HDToolbox.
Open HDToolbox select the drive and hit install drive. See that it has the correct size there.
If you can then create partitions it's just a matter of getting SFS or PFS installed correctly. Reboot and you should have whatever drive names you configured on the workbench as xHO: ???

Quick format them at that point.

If you can't read the drive with the correct size at the "Install Drive" part chances are you've got incorrect termination or maybe you need to change a jumper on the drive like Force SE mode.
Old 13 December 2017, 05:12   #3
mr.micro

OH MY! A jumper on the drive! totally forgot about that.

Yea, 3.9 HDToolBox DOES recognize it, but gives me an error that it can't handle this drive type. BUT SCSITools does recognize it AND lets me try to partition it, but it never actually partitions it or lets me mount it.

Off I go to check the jumper settings. Man, I totally forgot that was a 'thing' lol

Thanks much! i'll update findings.
Old 13 December 2017, 05:13   #4
mr.micro

While we're at it, can you tell me the difference between HDtoolBox and HDinstTools?
Old 13 December 2017, 05:39   #5
mr.micro

No jumpers to set and SCSI is wide auto terminates. I partitioned a 4gig Fujitsu drive in same SUN controller into 4, 1gig partitions without issue.
Old 15 December 2017, 10:28   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I will be heading into these murky waters soon! Got one of these combo cards and an scsi drive or two. SCSI stuff is something I have never really messed with other than a cd drive and a flatbed scanner.
Old 16 December 2017, 04:50   #7
grelbfarlk

Quote:
While we're at it, can you tell me the difference between HDtoolBox and HDinstTools?
HDinstTools seems to just use random numbers to make up the Heads/Cylinders/Blocks to reach the capacity. Not that HDToolbox is better for newer drives like SATA or large CF drives but after it's set up and then I don't have to worry about it later.

Some people swear by HDInsttools, I guess whatever works for you.

When I see the type of issues you are seeing it ends up being a termination problem, attaching a combined LVD/SE terminator usually does the trick or the other end of the SCSI chain is not terminated (the internal connector).

This is some required reading if you're not really sure about large HDD support:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256
Old 16 December 2017, 16:56   #8
patrik

It is hard to tell if it is a hardware or software issue, but it sounds more like a software issue given that you cannot get it working on either of the machines.

The only hardware issue I have had on similar setup with a GVP controller was that it did not supply termination power, so the separate terminator didn’t work. Had to jumper a drive to supply it instead.

The filesystem has to be added to the RDB of the drive. This can be done with the Add/Update... button while partitioning in HDToolBox. Also be aware that it has to be added with the correct dostype, which in hex would be 0x53465300 for SFS. This file system then has to be selected for each partition.

I would though recommend the AIO version of PFS3 instead of SFS as it is compatible with all ways of breaching the 4GB barrier (DirectSCSI, TD64 and NSD). It also works on all versions of AmigaOS, even down to 1.1 I think. So a good choice for a drive which is intended to be moved between systems. Dostype in hex is 0x50465303 and PFS AIO can be found on aminet.

Please try to describe more in detail what led up to your problem and what exactly you did when it occurred. It is for example very hard to understand what you mean by “I have moved SFS into the 'L' drive, but it doesn't do anything when selecting it.”. I understand that you placed the file system handler in L:, but where and how is it selected?

Last edited by patrik; 17 December 2017 at 01:14.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:41   #9
Jope
-

With some controllers, it is sometimes preferable to use PFS3DS. I seem to remember running into problems with PFS3AIO and large disks on a GVP controller, but PFS3DS worked.
Old 18 December 2017, 16:23   #10
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
With some controllers, it is sometimes preferable to use PFS3DS. I seem to remember running into problems with PFS3AIO and large disks on a GVP controller, but PFS3DS worked.
Could this perhaps be a bug in PFS3AIO, as it is supposed to auto detect and support Direct SCSI? Do you have a specific setup where this can be reproduced?

If so, is the result the same with PFS3AIO set to prioritize Direct SCSI mode over regular trackdisk mode by setting the DosType to PDS3?
Old 18 December 2017, 16:25   #11
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Could this perhaps be a bug in PFS3AIO as it is supposed to auto detect and support Direct SCSI? Do you have a specific setup where this can be reproduced?

If so, is the result the same with PFS3AIO set to prioritize Direct SCSI mode over regular trackdisk mode by setting the DosType to PDS3?
Yep. I couldn't get it to work even with the PDS\3 dostype. Perhaps I could try to reproduce it again, I did chat about it with Toni when I noticed the issue, but we didn't pursue it further.
Old 26 December 2017, 15:33   #12
mr.micro

OK, So I've been working on this drive for the last week. I bought an 80pin terminator and with the terminator in place the A2000 doesn't boot up. I keep getting block read errors on the internal 50pin SCSI, (Workbench drive). When I boot up from 3.1 floppy, I try to use GVP FasssstPrep in manual mode and it recognizes the drive but only 504mb's, yet when I do a low level format of that partition, nothing happens. Rebooting doesn't recognize new drive.

HDToolBox recognizes the drive but gives me an error that it can't handle this type of device.

I have installed the NSDpatch and have gotten 100gig drives and 8gig CF cards to format and work np (via WINUAE), but this SCSI I cannot connect to my PC, but I'm following the same steps on the real hardware, so not sure what the deal is.

I haven't tried again on my A1200 via the Blizzard, I'm thinking the 2000 should be able to handle this.

BTW, am I supposed to change SCSI.device to GVPscsi.device or something like that?

Best,
J
Old 27 December 2017, 03:09   #13
mech

Quote:
OK, So I've been working on this drive for the last week. I bought an 80pin terminator and with the terminator in place the A2000 doesn't boot up. I keep getting block read errors on the internal 50pin SCSI, (Workbench drive). When I boot up from 3.1 floppy, I try to use GVP FasssstPrep in manual mode and it recognizes the drive but only 504mb's, yet when I do a low level format of that partition, nothing happens. Rebooting doesn't recognize new drive.

HDToolBox recognizes the drive but gives me an error that it can't handle this type of device.

I have installed the NSDpatch and have gotten 100gig drives and 8gig CF cards to format and work np (via WINUAE), but this SCSI I cannot connect to my PC, but I'm following the same steps on the real hardware, so not sure what the deal is.

I haven't tried again on my A1200 via the Blizzard, I'm thinking the 2000 should be able to handle this.

BTW, am I supposed to change SCSI.device to GVPscsi.device or something like that?

Best,
J
I have run into fujitsu server drives with custom firmwares that will not work reliably no matter what you do. i have one here that gave me fits. Not saying this is the exact problem you are having,but it smacks of termination. you should be using a 50pin to 80 pin adapter with high byte termination.
Old 27 December 2017, 05:26   #14
grelbfarlk

Don't use the GVP Faaaaaassssstprepppppp. Use HDToolbox.

Once you get HDToolbox working and able to recognize the drive with the full size, you'll need to use either SFS or PFS in Direct SCSI mode since the GVP controller is not NSD-compliant. The one situation where you will want to use the GVP FFFFFFFFFFastPrrrrrrrrep is when you have a Zorro-II GVP controller and want to enable Z-II DMA when all you have is a 68000 in the machine.

Quote:

Best,
J
Old 27 December 2017, 16:55   #15
mr.micro

Hi all, Thanks for the replies. I got the drive formatted (finally) yesterday.

I had to change the scsi.device to gvpscsi.device and HDtoolbox finally recognized it.

I still couldn't format it on the A2000, but the A1200 did the job no problem.

I started a new thread because even though it's formatted and partitioned, there's still some weird stuff going on with it between the A1200 and A2000.

Here's the link: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89945

Best,
J