English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 December 2016, 05:19   #121
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Very cool. Just installed, however my mouse pointer is visible on the Switcher screen and functional. Nice to play a bit before I install to my real system (which has a Toaser4000 and Flyer card installed).

A quickie switcher effect....in WinUAE.
https://goo.gl/photos/1eRDTJjSnLtiqBASA

My WinUAE setup is an identical configuration as my A4000T, at least as close as I could get.

WinUAE setup...
A4000T, OS 3.9, 2MB chip / 16 MB fast
CF-Card boot (ide)
DVD-RW (ide)
Storage drive on WarpEngine SCSI
WarpEngine4040/128 MB
PicassoII RTG (P96)
X-Surf 100

Last edited by SnkBitten; 23 December 2016 at 05:47.
Old 23 December 2016, 10:31   #122
emufan

thanks for testing - it is a PAL/NTSC issue. switching chipset to NTSC
and the mouse pointer is now visible

#1) here are some more interesting variables in switcher.a.
especially the debug stuff will be usefull:
Code:
;;SERDEBUG      SET     1
;;CLIDEBUG      SET 1

;;SINGLESTEPSWITCHER SET        1       ;requires SERDEBUG, see below

;;$$
;;      INCLUDE 'extras/serialdebug_lib.i'
;;SERIALDEBUGFLAG       SET     1
;;$$

;;DBDIC SET     1               ;When defined, debug DummyICrouton
;;DBCRD SET     1       ;Debug CreateDisplay

;;MASTERCLOCKTEST       set     1

;;TOASTERLESS   SET     1               ; This flag allows running the
                                        ; Toaster code, even if there isn't
                                        ; a Toaster present.

;;NOBUFFERFILL  SET     1               ; Set for no picture load or bars
;;NOAUTOCAL     SET     1               ; Set to avoid PedGain & AutoMatte
;;NOSYNCWRITE   SET     1               ; Set to avoid SyncWrite

;;NO_CALIREADSCANLINE   equ 1           ; Addendum 6/19/91: define if you
*                                       ; want to avoid the CaliReadScanLine
*                                       ; calls.  Allows execution of buggy
*                                       ; patches that fail on read/writing.

* 6-16-93 We'll define this value externally in the MakeFile
;;MASTER_VERSION        SET     1       ; Addendum 10/19/90:
*                                       ; define to make a special version
*                                       ; of the Switcher for in-house
*                                       ; Toaster testing

* 6-16-93 We'll define this value externally in the MakeFile
;;SLAVE_VERSION SET     1               ; Addendum 12/07/90: define if you
*                                       ; want to create a SLAVE version.
*                                       ; Used for Testing Toasters
*                                       ; NOTE: Only switcher.a is special.

;;SPECIAL_DEBUG SET     1               ; Addendum 11/28/90: define if you
*                                       ; want the HOT KEY inputhandler to
*                                       ; not check what screen and window
*                                       ; your currently at

;;KILLKEYREPEATS SET 1                  ; Reenabled key repeats 9/2/94
#2) i made a little guide to compile the toasterless binaries (OpenVideoToaster ISO with source and tools):
Quote:
you should already have installed sas/c 6.58 - otherwise try the sc folder from path below.

makefile and all other files in RBAT - use cvs to checkout the srcs from repository - cvs from aminet:
OVT.iso/Toaster Source (Original)/toastersrc/switcher/RBAT/
move the files to BAT folder, if not done by cvs already.

copy the content of "OVT.iso/Toaster Source (Original)/" to your HDD.

cd "Toaster Source (Original)/toastersrc/switcher"

to ensure you get a fresh build, remove files in OBJ folder

assigns:
folder include.h + include.i + sc --> OVT.iso/Prowave Source/Bills HD/BigBack/TOOLS.LZH
crlib assign --> OVT.iso/Toaster Source (Original)/toastersrc/CroutonLib/

C: folder stuff (some are dupes - some files in sub folders - put them all together in switcher/c )
OVT.iso/Toaster Source (Original)/hdd0/C/
OVT.iso/Toaster Source (Original)/hd0/cone/

setenv USERNAME EAB
assign VT: ""
assign sw: ""
assign include.i: include.i
assign include.h: include.h
assign scinc: sc/include
assign crlib: /CroutonLib
assign c: c ADD
makedir EXE/toaster
makedir EXE/toaster/Switcher_Support

makefile:
-> strip -> missing command, replaced with stripCR (somewhere on the iso, just rename stripCR to strip)
-> copy -> command lines had only $ , instead of $@ - so fix it if you see copy errors while compiling

switcher/src/switcher.a:
-> uncomment TOASTERLESS: ;;TOASTERLESS SET 1 ==> TOASTERLESS SET 1

smake -f makefile
Quote:
- if you want build the slave & master binaries:
smake -f makefile TestStation

- you do not have to set MASTER_VERSION in swicther.a.
it is done using the makefile.

- there are some files for each version: BAT/WithFile.*
WithFile.master & WithFile.slave misses some object files, you have to add to the list manualy.
u'll see which are missing when you see the linker errors
compare with WithFile.aa - you can disable building debug version of the binaries here (NODEBUG)
Quote:
Compile Edit binary - the Editor:
just add these assigns to the one already done for the switcher:
assign Edit: .... /toastersrc/Edit
assign tinc: .... /toastersrc/switcher/SINC
assign proof: .... /toastersrc/proof

Last edited by emufan; 04 February 2017 at 19:16.
Old 29 December 2016, 23:44   #123
nohmercy

I'm a completely lost about installing this. What files do I need before hand to get toasterless running? I got "OpenVideoToaster-Toasterless-BINs.lha" and the open video toaster iso.

Old 30 December 2016, 00:31   #124
emufan

install the Videotoaster software - ISO and install floppy. ( good cd filesystem is AsimCDFS 3.10 )
This is the latest official VideoToaster Software by Newtek - bound to the VideoToaster Hardware.

start the 4.2 installer on the floppy, remaining files the installer will find on the mounted ISO.
it should install the software in SYS:Newtek

once installed, copy all the files in OpenVideoToaster-Toasterless-BINs.lha/EXE/toaster/*
into the Newtek/Programs/ folder, including subfolders.
next you'll be able to start Newtek -> Programs -> StartToaster (Icon)

once started push [help] key two times - this will restore the screen.
you can go back to Workbench using [Amiga]-N/M key(s) - same key(s) to go back to Switcher screen.
A ShutDown option you will find in [Views] menu.

on the Switcher Screen hit [BackSpace] key, select [Effects] --> Space and double click one of the 3 icons
you can drag&drop those effect icons in the upper part of the Screen and [save] them as a Project.

The OVT iso you dont need atm, it just gave the possibility to compile a new version of the Switcher software.
switcher is the core software of the videotoaster system.

Last edited by emufan; 30 December 2016 at 02:08.
Old 30 December 2016, 01:59   #125
nohmercy

thank you very much!

Old 30 December 2016, 02:05   #126
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmercy View Post
thank you very much!
np. just report back, if you find some non-working things.

if you are running this in winuae and you get some black-only wipes, enable
Winuae (f12) -> Chipset -> Genlock (noise or testpattern or a movie) - set Transparency to 10-20%

the binaries do also work if you have Full ECS chipset, this makes the wipes more visible.
(some effects do not work at all in ecs mode - program will tell you)
Old 02 January 2017, 05:37   #127
nohmercy

my cursor is invisible in winuae after launching video toaster even after I selected ntsc in the chipset options

Old 02 January 2017, 08:42   #128
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Note that now that Toaster become a software hack (that does not exist in official version = anything is possible), it also become totally non-interesting and unsupported for me. Ask again when hardware documentation exist.
Old 02 January 2017, 11:14   #129
Tomislav

Quote:
my cursor is invisible in winuae after launching video toaster even after I selected ntsc in the chipset options
Check if your mouse is enabled in "Input". Up-right checkbox "Device enabled" need to be checked. Also try to enable mouse that is not "Windows mouse".

To me all mouses were disabled when I did something once with genlock and video. It worked in normal way after I enabled "HID-compliant mouse" in my case.
Old 02 January 2017, 18:57   #130
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Note that now that Toaster become a software hack (that does not exist in official version = anything is possible), it also become totally non-interesting and unsupported for me. Ask again when hardware documentation exist.
now we have something to investigate the innards of the amiga part of the system and you complain about that.
it is by far more usefull then watching the stalled amiga with grey screen, after toaster-boot like we did the last 20 years :/
and it is far from a hack - it is just something you did not saw before.
these inhouse options were implemented by newtek - not some hackers.
Old 02 January 2017, 19:01   #131
emufan

Quote:
this i could solve with ntsc chipset enabled. i'm using quickstart a1200 and a4000 setups - both work this way.
you can try to enable Full ECS chipset instead of aga - with some restrictions - it does work too.
Old 02 January 2017, 20:18   #132
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I complain about it because this is my thread about add on hardware emulation. Not about software workarounds.

I have no interest whatsoever in USING Toaster, I only want to emulate it and now the chance for getting the hardware (and information about it) is even more closer to zero because software workaround is most likely enough for most users.
Old 03 January 2017, 02:03   #133
Ami_GFX

I gave the Toasterless bins a quick test. I imaged the CF card from my A4000T Toaster Flyer system and used that as my HD file. The main switcher and programs did work. Toaster Paint and Lightwave are the most useful programs. The rest don't do much without a Toaster. Their functions are done over a video feed or still frame and there are none without a Toaster. This is interesting but it isn't the same as an emulated Toaster. At the very least, that would involve emulating the frame buffers. A lot of the advanced wipes depend on them and Toaster Paint is pretty limited without them. There would have to be some way to switch from the Amiga monitor output to emulated Toaster video out. A Toaster Flyer system is a hugely complicated beast but the Toaster card itself is maybe not so complicated. It has 3 digital buffers and a lot of analog circuitry. I'm hardly an expert in the inner working of the Toaster but I get the impression from running the software hack that most of the work is done by the Toaster software and not the hardware. Apart from the digital frame buffers, the Toaster is just doing I/O.
Old 03 January 2017, 16:49   #134
emufan

thanks for your test. i also toyed arround with some 3rd party software - control tower - here it seems one can convert an image sequence into those flyer clips. for now it throws an arexx error - i have to test that later again - but it recognizes the toaster.
the whole thing justs crash's when i play such CG "closing credits effects" - dunno what causes this.
otherwise the software is working in a stable manner.
one thing what still refuse to work/start is AlphaPaint - no way to convince it to start

#1) i've attached a Kiki wipe ( i guess it's her ) - Effects -> People -> Ms.Peel-L
can you make a screen shot of your toaster in action with this effect?
or just explain how it does look for real - does she appear in light blue color too?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms.Peel.png
Views:	58
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	51542  

Last edited by emufan; 03 January 2017 at 18:48.
Old 03 January 2017, 19:23   #135
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post

#1) i've attached a Kiki wipe ( i guess it's her ) - Effects -> People -> Ms.Peel-L
can you make a screen shot of your toaster in action with this effect?
or just explain how it does look for real - does she appear in light blue color too?
I briefly went through some of the effects on my Toaster and I believe it's a Black silhouette of her, not blue, though that may be changeable based on the set color of the BKGD ??

It's been a long time since my original Amiga 4000D with Toaster4000 and I was only running VT 3.x. I've been playing with VT 4.2 on my A4000T but it's a lot different than the previous version. VT 3.x was geared more for Live switching and it seems VT 4.2 is more for editing, especially with a Flyer (which I need to install drives on so I can play with that as well).
Old 03 January 2017, 19:25   #136
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovale View Post
The General Purpose Interface (GPI) is an event triggering option that is available on
most edit controllers. NewTek took advantage of this in the design of the original
Toaster software so that traditional controllers could trigger the Toaster Switcher
effects without having any direct software connection to the Toaster.
one tool ( RXTools ->FlyFrame ) does use the GPI event - the tool is waiting for a GPI Trigger - pushing firebutton
on joystick port #2 does trigger it.

#1) IFF2CLIP does what i mentioned above about ControlTower - but it fails too,
says "could not open flyer.library" - it actually does find it in libs (snoopdos says so) - but i guess it fails to ignite it in the way it does with the flyer hardware.

#2) unfortunately, there is no FLYERLESS option in the flyer.library source code - but will look for something else :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I briefly went through some of the effects on my Toaster and I believe it's a Black silhouette of her, not blue, though that may be changeable based on the set color of the BKGD ??

It's been a long time since my original Amiga 4000D with Toaster4000 and I was only running VT 3.x. I've been playing with VT 4.2 on my A4000T but it's a lot different than the previous version. VT 3.x was geared more for Live switching and it seems VT 4.2 is more for editing, especially with a Flyer (which I need to install drives on so I can play with that as well).
oh, ok, thanks. in the [Controls] of the effects i can choose an [Effect Color] - but result doesnt change.
good to know it's ment to be black
i've been looking already, but the only sources we have is of 4.2 release. at least what i found so far.
the earlier 3.x version would be a nice addition too. i guess Newtek shiped 3.x on the latest 4.2 toaster iso for a reason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPI-Trigger.png
Views:	85
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	51544  

Last edited by emufan; 03 January 2017 at 19:44.
Old 04 January 2017, 02:50   #137
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovale View Post
#2) unfortunately, there is no FLYERLESS option in the flyer.library source code - but will look for something else :/
there is something in toastersrc/AmiFlyer/src/flyerlib.asm:
Quote:
* This function does software emulation of the Flyer's hardware which
* converts VTASC-compressed data into D2 data, including FIR filtering.
sounds promising, but not just a variable, it's a function, dunno yet.
Old 04 January 2017, 05:27   #138
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I just ran the effect on my Toaster system and it displays exactly like it displays under WinUAE on the system monitor...in blue. The Program output from the Toaster though has Kiki as a black silhouette. Changing the effect color changes it on the Program out from the Toaster to the selected color, but the system monitor remains blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post

oh, ok, thanks. in the [Controls] of the effects i can choose an [Effect Color] - but result doesnt change.
good to know it's ment to be black
i've been looking already, but the only sources we have is of 4.2 release. at least what i found so far.
the earlier 3.x version would be a nice addition too. i guess Newtek shiped 3.x on the latest 4.2 toaster iso for a reason

Last edited by SnkBitten; 04 January 2017 at 05:35.
Old 04 January 2017, 06:07   #139
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I complain about it because this is my thread about add on hardware emulation. Not about software workarounds.

I have no interest whatsoever in USING Toaster, I only want to emulate it and now the chance for getting the hardware (and information about it) is even more closer to zero because software workaround is most likely enough for most users.
... right... so you support and slave and work on an emulator so people can use Amiga software on non-Amigas...

... then complain about a lack of Amiga hardware information... because of "software workarounds"... er...

Anyway, on a more positive note, I'll ask a guy in Cali if he can help... no wait, that sounds SO wrong, I'll ask my friend in CaliFORNIA if he can help.
Old 04 January 2017, 17:38   #140
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
I just ran the effect on my Toaster system and it displays exactly like it displays under WinUAE on the system monitor...in blue. The Program output from the Toaster though has Kiki as a black silhouette. Changing the effect color changes it on the Program out from the Toaster to the selected color, but the system monitor remains blue.
thanks again.
if you use the toasterless bins, is there any interaction with the toaster hardware still possible in some way?
can you feed in some clips or live video?
i think a good approach is to check what got disabled using the TOASTERLESS variable.
IIRC it got used only in the switcher.a source file. so it's not that much to investigate.

i compiled another version with MASTER_VERSION and CLIDEBUG enabled next to TOASTERLESS.
but not much changed, well binary size has been increased.
do you know of any commandline options for the binaries?
i cannot see any cli debug output, even start the software from a shell.
the initial screen corruption is gone - no need to push help twice after starting the toaster software

Last edited by emufan; 04 January 2017 at 17:44.