English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 June 2016, 02:00   #21
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And I noticed you always play the "caped crusader" at times, too, another unnecessary attitude. ... ...
How is it unnecessary exactly? I've called you out on being intolerant and bullying of others a few times in the past, which is the only reason you're posting here now. You feel entitled to say whatever you want to other people it seems, so of course you feel it's unnecessary that someone stands up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Me a bully? I would politely suggest you dont know the meaning of the word.
Let's not argue semantics, you know exactly what I mean.

Quote:
Did the OP ask for opinions on their thread content? Yes. Did i offer an opinion? Yes. I did it in a humourous way, I fail to see how posting a fairly pedestrian meme construes "bullying".
Stop acting dumb. He was asking for constructive criticism, not for someone to shit on his video, and the way you've responded to him in the past shows it's anything but joking.

Quote:
If i had said "why do you incessantly post your bullshit threads, they are childish and stupid, no-one wants to see them".....THAT is bullying.
The gist of some of your responses are exactly that, you don't have to write it out in full.

Quote:
Im also happy for you to post examples of my "bullying" on this forum, anytime ive gotten antsy with someone is generally in a reaction to something someone else has said.
It's basically stuff like this: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=945515&postcount=4 which coincidentally boils down to exactly what you stated above that you would never say, "why do you incessantly post your bullshit threads" etc. I recall more responses like those, but I'm not going to trawl the whole forum history for it.

You also said that I should educate myself, but I think it is you who need to educate yourself by doing your moral and intellectual homework. At 42 years old it's certainly long over due, and by now you should have realized that down-putting comments just tell people to be quiet, stop participating, and get out.

I wasn't expecting you to de-shirt and derail the thread like this after I poked you a bit, so you can have the last word.
Old 15 June 2016, 02:14   #22
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
It's basically stuff like this: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=945515&postcount=4 which coincidentally boils down to exactly what you stated above that you would never say, "why do you incessantly post your bullshit threads" etc.
I'm with the bully here.
Old 15 June 2016, 02:50   #23
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Me a bully? I would politely suggest you dont know the meaning of the word.
Leffman said "a bit" of a bully. You are quick to remove this important qualifier.

Quote:
Did the OP ask for opinions on their thread content? Yes.
Did i offer an opinion? Yes.

I did it in a humourous way, I fail to see how posting a fairly pedestrian meme construes "bullying".
Well, you certainly know that I have a lot of respect for you but there you can't exactly walk away from the fact that your answer was, yes, an opinion, yes, funny, but more importantly extremely mean to the poster.

And I do not recall him asking "please be mean to me".

If you think being mean is fine, then ok, we will have to disagree on that point but if you do not then I hope you can find it in your heart to accept that fondpondforever deserves a respectful answer.

Quote:
And I noticed you always play the "caped crusader" at times, too, another unnecessary attitude.
What? Trying to have people speak respectfully to one another is an unnecessary attitude? Please, Akira, please...

We are a community, being social and respectful and asking of others that they note when they aren't is what every adult out here should strive to do.

I don't think asking others to not be unnecessary mean is anything outrageous.
And I'm saying that with respect both to Galahad and Akira with whom I have (at least I hope) good relations. Sometimes the truth stings but that what love also means: who loves well, sanctions well, as we say in kitten land.

With unclawed paws and friendly purrs,
Old 15 June 2016, 04:53   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
What? Trying to have people speak respectfully to one another is an unnecessary attitude?
Agreed. And how is this respectful?
Quote:
Funny. That picture reminds me of your half-assed rip-off of Zoop that you announced in this thread
Clearly Leffmann operates with a double standard that makes his "crusade" even more ridiculous. He did not ever even ask for Galahad not to be rude to the OP, he insulted Galahad, and then after Galahad retorted, only then, he made his alleged intentions clear.

Leffmann, if you are going to pretend you are the EAB's moral police, even though you have absolutely no right to do so as nobody appointed you as such, at least try to do a good job of it.
And if you really had wanted to know why I think this was unnecessary, you only would have had to read the paragraph below to the one you quoted, which you conveniently ignored. Obviously you did not care to read it and I don't care if you don't, because anyone as intelligent as I am sure you are would understand my point, but you are consciously unwilling to acknowledge it. This is the last second I will waste in this doomed from start thread anyway.
Old 15 June 2016, 06:14   #25
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Agreed. And how is this respectful?

Clearly Leffmann operates with a double standard that makes his "crusade" even more ridiculous. He did not ever even ask for Galahad not to be rude to the OP, he insulted Galahad, and then after Galahad retorted, only then, he made his alleged intentions clear.
Galahad made a mistake, Leffman made another. Does that dismiss the core point he was making? No and you know it.

I am sure that Galahad can admit he was unnecessarily mean and certain that Leffman can see and admit that his angle of approach was unnecessarily provocative and counterproductive. This tirade about moral crusade and Leffman absence of right to act as he did ignore the core point.

It is possible to both reproach Leffman his approach and to support his point: Instead of attacking the messenger's attitude tell me what you think of the message.
=> Is it ok to be mean to people on the EAB or should we find better ways to communicate?

We can talk about this as responsible adults.

(And sorry for the off topic, fondpondforever)

Last edited by ReadOnlyCat; 15 June 2016 at 06:26. Reason: Reworked wording to be more productive.
Old 15 June 2016, 07:10   #26
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Cheers dreamkatcha; knew it was from a movie

...I meant who is Galahad and who is Leffmann
Oops. It's clearly not as obscure as I imagined... and I really thought I was going to win the goldfish in a bag for getting to the answer first.

Anyway re: the original topic. I like the opening pixelated transition effect. That's really effective and appropriate for a retro related video. The spinning screen thing is uncomfortable to watch and doesn't really add anything. If you're going to do that, I'd flip it quickly and then get back to normal so you can enjoy the game footage without having to tilt your head.
Old 15 June 2016, 08:26   #27
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I'm with the bully here.
Yes, I know you are.

Quote:
You're wrong, don't try to make me out as someone who posts like you and him, basically telling people to shut up and stop participating. Sometimes the only way to make people wake up is to show them what it's like to be on the receiving end.
Old 15 June 2016, 09:35   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Let's not argue semantics, you know exactly what I mean.
We could go the dictionary definition if you like, however the distinction I made dismisses your 'semantics' approach, a harmless meme is not akin to bullying.

Quote:
Stop acting dumb. He was asking for constructive criticism, not for someone to shit on his video, and the way you've responded to him in the past shows it's anything but joking.
Really? His exact words were asking what people think, and as we are all adults here, an adult can take the criticism. Anyone having an expectation that everyone should agree with them on a subjective matter is frankly not looking for opinions, but validation.

Thicker skins are required, but I suspect not from the OP, but from you.

Quote:
The gist of some of your responses are exactly that, you don't have to write it out in full.
But emphatically, i've not used language like that in this case have I?

Quote:
It's basically stuff like this: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=945515&postcount=4 which coincidentally boils down to exactly what you stated above that you would never say, "why do you incessantly post your bullshit threads" etc. I recall more responses like those, but I'm not going to trawl the whole forum history for it.
Of course you won't trawl, because you know theres very little to find, but in any case, thats a fairly innocuous comment I made, but has relevance, because its also something that a couple of moderators on this very forum agree with.

By all means examine the guys earlier post history, it is interesting reading that picqued moderators interest as well as others.

Quote:
You also said that I should educate myself, but I think it is you who need to educate yourself by doing your moral and intellectual homework.
Other than my questionable regard to copyrights and piracy, my morality is just fine thanks

Quote:
At 42 years old it's certainly long over due, and by now you should have realized that down-putting comments just tell people to be quiet, stop participating, and get out.
And yet you didn't want to trawl EAB to find this put down comments, you found ONE..... hardly indicative of me as a person is it?

Quote:
I wasn't expecting you to de-shirt and derail the thread like this after I poked you a bit, so you can have the last word.
You were not expecting someone to disagree with you?

Isn't that a bit like starting a thread saying "what do you think?" and then being dissapointed that the responses were contrary to how you feel they should have been?

Sounds familiar

But anyway Leffmann, we are not having a fight here, I have respect for your clear understanding of the Amiga, but on this issue, we are in disagreement. the world will still rotate regardless.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 15 June 2016 at 09:42.
Old 15 June 2016, 09:41   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Leffman said "a bit" of a bully. You are quick to remove this important qualifier.
I'm not sure it makes any difference..... "I'm a bit of a thief"...... still suggests something unsavoury whether its a "bit of" or not

Quote:
Well, you certainly know that I have a lot of respect for you but there you can't exactly walk away from the fact that your answer was, yes, an opinion, yes, funny, but more importantly extremely mean to the poster.
Extremely mean? If you found it funny, doesn't that make you "mean" in return?

If someone asks for an opinion, they need to expect ALL opinions.

If you think thats being "extremely mean", you need to surf 4chan for about ten minutes to put that comment into perspective

Quote:
And I do not recall him asking "please be mean to me".
He asked for opinions, whether they are mean or not was not requested.

Quote:
If you think being mean is fine, then ok, we will have to disagree on that point but if you do not then I hope you can find it in your heart to accept that fondpondforever deserves a respectful answer.
Well I disagree I was mean in the first place so that kind of renders that point moot.

Remember, if it was so mean, YOU wouldn't have found it funny, because of course, mean very seldom is
Old 15 June 2016, 09:56   #30
Leffmann

Quote:
But anyway Leffmann, we are not having a fight here, I have respect for your clear understanding of the Amiga, but on this issue, we are in disagreement. the world will still rotate regardless.
I was going to respond to you in full, but OK we'll leave the thread as it is.
Old 15 June 2016, 10:36   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
and I really thought I was going to win the goldfish in a bag for getting to the answer first.
It's been sent first class, tracked / signed and is on it way over
Old 15 June 2016, 10:38   #32
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It's not the one with it's tail missing is it?
Old 15 June 2016, 11:02   #33
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Wow, and I thought our emulation argument was something
Old 18 June 2016, 22:54   #34
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Oki, I do not want to prolong the argument since it is mostly settled but I just want to make myself a bit clearer before allowing the thread to go back on topic.

Quote:
I'm not sure it makes any difference..... "I'm a bit of a thief"...... still suggests something unsavoury whether its a "bit of" or not
[...]
Extremely mean? If you found it funny, doesn't that make you "mean" in return?
[...]
If someone asks for an opinion, they need to expect ALL opinions.
[...]
If you think thats being "extremely mean", you need to surf 4chan for about ten minutes to put that comment into perspective
You are right that my characterization as "extremely mean" is completely excessive.
But isn't saying "I am not impressed" to someone asking for an opinion also a bit potentially unsavoury?

Note that if you had made the same remark to me I would obviously have taken it as a friendly elbow jab.
But given that fondpondforever posts unconventional and sometime hard to follow topics I prefer to assume he is good willed and naive and might not have the thick skin that you mentioned. Maybe I am wrong but I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

As you said, we can disagree on my interpretation and we will both survive it.

And to the passerby-s who think we are close to strangling one another:

Please breathe people, breathe (). Disagreeing with someone and arguing is not fighting.
Leffman, Galahad and myself are mature kittens, it should be clear from our common posting history that we agree on way more things than we disagree overall. A bit of hissing does not make an argument into a fight.

Fondpondforever, please accept my apologies for derailing his thread even further,
I am certainly not pretending to talk on your behalf and you are obviously entitled me to tell me to mind my own business if you deem it appropriate.