English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2011, 03:56   #1
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Repairman/skilled user on the east coast U.S.A.

Hey, my appologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm looking for someone who is either a repairman or a skilled amiga user that can do some hardware fixes and lives preferably on the east coast u.s. Things like capacitor replacement and stuff that isn't EXTREMELY hard but also not something an intermediate user with only some soldering experience can do.

Normally if I would need some repairs that are beyond my capabilities I would send it to amigakit, but I would much prefer not to have to pay postage both ways to the U.K. The other day I found soft hut or whatever it was called online (they used to sell amiga stuff) and was ecstatic to see they were only a half an hours drive from my house. Unfortunately after not getting a reply to my emails or calls and then noticing that the site was last updated in 2005 or 2006, I decided to look elsewhere.

If anybody on here knows somebody or is maybe skilled enough themselve please let me know! Thank you.
Old 25 August 2011, 05:39   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Do whatever you like, but NEVER send it to Doom Master (aka Hans Campbell, aka Goodwill guy, aka Doomy, aka Retrogreek, among many other nicks) in Oregon.
Old 25 August 2011, 10:30   #3
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Do whatever you like, but NEVER send it to Doom Master (aka Hans Campbell, aka Goodwill guy, aka Doomy, aka Retrogreek, among many other nicks) in Oregon.
Thanks for the tip, I take it you had a bad experience? What happened? If you don't mind my asking..
Old 25 August 2011, 10:42   #4
Jope
-

He's a well known person in these circles. The forums (eab, amiga.org, etc) are full of documentation, if you search with "doomy". :-)
Old 26 August 2011, 04:58   #5
rkauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesize Me View Post
Thanks for the tip, I take it you had a bad experience? What happened? If you don't mind my asking..
I never had any trading experience with him, thanks God.

But his bad fame precedes him on any Amiga forum of the planet (if Amigas were sold in other planets, then he will be banned there, too).

As you live in Germany I can't vouch anyone near you. Cosmos or Jean Jacques (both in France) are the nearest to your original country. In USA I know nobody.

In Brazil I know three people (me included), in Argentina one more (Hernan/ElPiloto), in UK there are several skilled guys, in Polland I can vouch for Stanislaw (Stachu100) and one of the best Amiga repair guy is Castellen in Christchurch, New Zealand (but he is now in an Antarctica base and will be back only after November this year).

Last edited by rkauer; 26 August 2011 at 05:11.
Old 26 August 2011, 05:47   #6
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:

But his bad fame precedes him on any Amiga forum of the planet (if Amigas were sold in other planets, then he will be banned there, too).

As you live in Germany I can't vouch anyone near you. Cosmos or Jean Jacques (both in France) are the nearest to your original country. In USA I know nobody.

In Brazil I know three people (me included), in Argentina one more (Hernan/ElPiloto), in UK there are several skilled guys, in Polland I can vouch for Stanislaw (Stachu100) and one of the best Amiga repair guy is Castellen in Christchurch, New Zealand (but he is now in an Antarctica base and will be back only after November this year).
Thanks for the info! I was hoping somebody would know someone here in the states where I currently am.. Oh well, I do most repairs myself and I guess if there is anything major it would be worth it to send oversees.

Wow, I started doing some "research" on this Doomy guy and I totally understand what you guys were warning me about! That's some crazy stuff! I appreciate the advice, I never would have known because this is the first forum I have ever joined and haven't been around that long yet..

Anyway, thanks for the help. Hopefully somebody can recommend someone closer to me at some point.
Old 26 August 2011, 10:27   #7
LTAC

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53964

Jean-Jacques BOULET (AMIGACENTER France)

Last edited by LTAC; 26 August 2011 at 10:36.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:07   #8
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:

I know I live in Australia but don't forget me Rkauer
Old 26 August 2011, 23:02   #9
SpeedGeek

Here is a link to the Amiga.org repairer's network thread:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...Amiga+repairer
Old 27 August 2011, 22:12   #10
rkauer

@Loedown: I forgot you, my friend! Sorry! Put this awesome Aussie guy on the repairsmen list above.
Old 28 August 2011, 02:59   #11
Loedown

Quote:
@Loedown: I forgot you, my friend! Sorry! Put this awesome Aussie guy on the repairsmen list above.
Loedown = Amisynth

So I am already there.
Old 28 August 2011, 04:52   #12
Mr B

Quote:
one of the best Amiga repair guy is Castellen in Christchurch, New Zealand (but he is now in an Antarctica base and will be back only after November this year).
Shipping would suck, but i bet the job would be cheap, the guy simply would love to get his hands dirty on a Amiga... Well, at least it would impress everyone in the area... ;- )
B!
Old 29 August 2011, 22:22   #13
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Well, at least it would impress everyone in the area... ;- )
B!
Yeah, all 20 people within a 500km radius!

Thanks for the links everyone! I will have to look into what place has the easiest/cheapest shipping options. I have heard good things about that guy in France, especially when it comes to repairing accelerator cards.
@Loedown I would definitely ship my miggys to you because I trust anybody that knows synths well ;-) . But Australia is just a tiny bit too far from the east coast U.S. ...

Bassicly I just need capacitor replacements (some for the typical RMB problem and another for possibly a timing fix) and while I would get that done I might as well just replace them all in order to prevent future problems that plague Amigas. The problem is although I am pretty good at soldering, I have no desoldering experience/knowledge. The thought of possibly breaking one of my beloved miggys scares me more than death!
Old 29 August 2011, 23:49   #14
altcomputing
MC68060@85MHz

Nothing to fear about desoldering, same as just soldering, put some fresh solder on solder point then melt and gently pry... Nothing hard when talking about capacitors...
Old 30 August 2011, 01:49   #15
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcomputing View Post
Nothing to fear about desoldering, same as just soldering, put some fresh solder on solder point then melt and gently pry... Nothing hard when talking about capacitors...
Except when corrosion is involved

http://www.techdose.com/tutorials/Re...302/page3.html

A random article on resoldering, surface mount is even worse because the pads do not have the adhesion to the board that through hole parts do with their barrels. If you start desoldering the caps the only way the component can come off is upwards and that's exactly the worst direction for the pad.