English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 December 2018, 18:38   #21
hth313

After having tried to use a RPi in couple of ways, I can only say that they are mostly hampered due to memory limitations. It cannot take modern fat software, like web browsers well. It just keeps running of memory, though it also suffers to some degree because of a tad weak CPU. Or rather, due to all the abstraction levels used today. For more old school or less bloated things they are great.

This could perhaps improve in coming generations of RPi, or maybe further abstractions will just prevent it from happening.

I think AROS on RPi is a super good idea. It provides a common platform so that anyone can pick something up that just works, without having to try and hunt down various specific parts that may be old as well. Just order a cheap RPi and you are ready to go. This is something I think has been missing in the past, an easy and inexpensive way to get into it that just works out of the box.

I hope for AROS on my A3000 some day, but I can see that the RPi could be what I mostly end up using instead as a fun Amiga style hobby computer. The RPi is new, provides much improved graphics, way more memory and a significantly more powerful CPU. And all that for something that can be compared to filling up the car, and I can put it in my pocket! For me, the operating system and software was and is the most interesting part of it, not the actual chip set.

In addition to AROS RPi there is activity on the 68k side too. (Perhaps x86 as well, I do not follow that so closely.)

I am a low level developer (but I know my way around high up in the sky as well). The problem is that I have no time for matters like this at the moment, but I keep my eyes on AROS and I hope to find some small amount of time here and there, at some point.
Old 10 December 2018, 04:08   #22
wawa

@martinw:
you can rejoin us on slack.
Old 11 December 2018, 13:40   #23
terminills

Here's an update on the native raspeberry pi port of AROS.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/digging-through-23261667
Old 11 December 2018, 14:00   #24
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
@martinw:
you can rejoin us on slack.
For anyone interested, you can join our slack here:
https://join.slack.com/t/amigaports/...DA1OWQwNGY4MWQ

Direct link to the aros channel when you have signed up:
https://amigaports.slack.com/messages/CCY3RF5T9
Old 11 December 2018, 15:18   #25
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminills View Post

Excellent news!
Old 11 December 2018, 21:52   #26
rare_j
Zone Friend

I know it's a long way off, but this, with a JIT interpreter for system friendly 68k binaries, and UAE for hardware banging software, would be amaze. A next-gen amiga for all.
Old 11 December 2018, 23:04   #27
grhmhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminills View Post

That is good news. One step closer to having a next gen Amiga OS on Arm hardware.
Old 12 December 2018, 02:17   #28
MartinW

Regardless of my opinion of PI's, this could be really good for Aros and drive a lot of interest. Is there any chance that ABI v1 could be finalised and see an official release at any point in the near future?
Old 12 December 2018, 08:44   #29
grhmhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Regardless of my opinion of PI's, this could be really good for Aros and drive a lot of interest. Is there any chance that ABI v1 could be finalised and see an official release at any point in the near future?
The Raspberry PI might not be the fastest computer out there, but this would definitely drive up interest, and could lead to ports on more powerful arm hardware.
Old 12 December 2018, 10:24   #30
Dunny

If the claims that AROS is extremely lightweight and comparable to classic AmigaOS then the Pi will be more than enough to run it and run it well - boot times should be almost instant if that is the case, and overall CPU usage being lower would mitigate many of the Pi's shortcomings in the speed department.

I have to admit, if they got all the hardware issues sorted on the Pi then I might actually go back to writing software for AROS again.
Old 12 December 2018, 10:47   #31
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
If the claims that AROS is extremely lightweight and comparable to classic AmigaOS then the Pi will be more than enough to run it and run it well - boot times should be almost instant if that is the case, and overall CPU usage being lower would mitigate many of the Pi's shortcomings in the speed department.

I have to admit, if they got all the hardware issues sorted on the Pi then I might actually go back to writing software for AROS again.
It's getting there, slowly, but it's going forward.
Old 08 January 2019, 01:09   #32
wawa

heads up. aros booting on a600/vampire2. note the lcd is hooked to the rgb output so it is ecs amiga chipset in action.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuvzEgbTrkxPgb42jYyrZOyke4KUGA
sorry for video quality but it isnt a proper presentation, rather a proof of concept that it actually works.
Old 08 January 2019, 11:28   #33
amiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
heads up. aros booting on a600/vampire2. note the lcd is hooked to the rgb output so it is ecs amiga chipset in action.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuvzEgbTrkxPgb42jYyrZOyke4KUGA
sorry for video quality but it isnt a proper presentation, rather a proof of concept that it actually works.
Thanks for your work on this, wawa. An OS independent of Amiga Inc./Hyperion/Cloanto that can also be freely tuned for the '080 is an important goal.