English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 02 September 2015, 22:27   #1
Wayne123

Hello everybody, new Amiga user

Hello my name is Wayne and I just got my first Amiga computer.

I remember when the Amiga first came out in the mid 80's and I really wanted to buy one, the price was a bit out of my range at the time so I settled for an Atari ST. I have more free time now and I was feeling Nostaigic for the old days, I first tried getting an old PPC Mac and tried MorphOS, I also bought Amiga Forever to play with but nothing beats actually using real authentic Hardware.

I found an old A500 at a good price and I am starting to work on fixing it up, I plan to replace all the old caps in the computer and in the power supply, I already removed the leaking battery from an A501 card and fixed the minor damage on it. I wired up a GBS 8200 and get a good picture on a VGA monitor.

I am amazed at the large amount of work still going into making new hardware to upgrade these old computers, I joined this forum to try and catch up on what is possible and it seems there is plenty of good info here to figure things out.
Thanks for such a great forum,
Wayne an old fart in California
Old 02 September 2015, 22:28   #2
jmmijo

Welcome from another old fart up north of you in PDX
Old 02 September 2015, 22:50   #3
Wayne123

Thanks for. the welcome.
Just realized there is an area for new members introductions, sorry for putting this in the wrong area.

Last edited by Wayne123; 02 September 2015 at 23:02.
Old 02 September 2015, 23:20   #4
DisposableHero

You're forgiven Wayne. The Amiga actually lasted a lot better in Europe than the US - even after Commodore died in mid-1994 there were still big games being released, and a serious scene continued many years after - the leading UK Amiga magazine Amiga Format didn't cease publication until 2000. Somehow today's PCs just aren't as special to me as that old 1.2 A500.
Old 02 September 2015, 23:58   #5
Wayne123

The computer scene where I lived was mostly PCs and in Southern California it was crazy how many computers stores and businesses were around me, I lived not too far from Kingston Technology. We had these giant computer fairs here where you could find almost everything ever made computer related, The L.A. computer fair was always packed with people. We had Commodore stores and Atari stores but they didn't last long once Commodor and Atari went under, I used to read all the English magazines, they were sold here in the computer stores and the bigger bookstores.

I got interested in getting back into the old computers again after watching a show we have Here called Halt And Catch Fire, reminded me of how much more fun computers used to be.
Old 03 September 2015, 22:35   #6
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Hey Wayne, there are meetings of the SCCAN held by Robert Bernardo in Northridge if you want to meet other amigans 64ers and retrofans in general, let me find some links
Old 04 September 2015, 21:32   #7
Wayne123

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Hey Wayne, there are meetings of the SCCAN held by Robert Bernardo in Northridge if you want to meet other amigans 64ers and retrofans in general, let me find some links
Thanks, don't really like driving much anymore, I damaged my neck in a motorcycle accident and that combined with being blind in one eye makes driving in heavy traffic a real chore.

I see your group is also into the 8bit stuff, a few years back I gave my brother a good working SX64 and a 128D along with a ton of old discs and a spare floppy drive. I was trying to get rid of some of the clutter but I am adding more storage space in my house so I can have more toys now. I wouldn't mind adding a big box Amiga to my collection along with a few other computers I always wanted but could not afford when they were new, like a NeXT cube and even an Atari TT030.