English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 May 2012, 21:34   #21
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
but why emulate when there's a perfectly good 68k chip? and lets be fair, there is no PPC card out there that doesn't have a faster 68k cpu than the mainboard one.
I think it's to do with OS4.x not being able to access the Bus the 68k uses or something to that effect which is also why BPPC SCSI does not work with OS4.x
Old 11 May 2012, 22:41   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
...and I see you've had a reply already!
Thanks, yes, but I've been out till now. They comment that when you first install OS4.1 there's an option telling about problems with the floppy drive, but I always leave that option marked as in fact it self-marks it telling I need it. As I've commented there is later, exactly after Update 4 that I lose the floppy. Perhaps they disable somehow that option with the update.
Old 11 May 2012, 22:48   #23
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
They comment that when you first install OS4.1 there's an option telling about problems with the floppy drive, but I always leave that option marked as in fact it self-marks it telling I need it. As I've commented there is later, exactly after Update 4 that I lose the floppy. Perhaps they disable somehow that option with the update.
That's an interesting theory. Perhaps you should mention it in the Hyperion forum if you have not already done so. It may save them some time debugging it.
Old 11 May 2012, 23:26   #24
cha05e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
but why emulate when there's a perfectly good 68k chip? and lets be fair, there is no PPC card out there that doesn't have a faster 68k cpu than the mainboard one.
I'm not that deep into that topic, but I suppose it's a matter of "economy" and trade-offs you have to deal with when doing massive context switches. Whatever you do in that regards, you'll need an *own kernel* for the 68k CPU alone - something like "WarpDown" or "PowerDown" (the opposite of WarpUp/PowerUp concept). AFAIK nobody did that - be it AmigaOS or MorphOS. Most of the usual applications should be fast enough with Petunia (or Trance). Conclusion: It's far easier and more economic to emulate the 68k CPU than to make a big deal with handling and streamlining context switches incl. a special "68k kernel" setup just for some time critical 68k applications or games. If you really need that for some old software: just boot into OS3.x... ;-)

Old 12 May 2012, 19:32   #25
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey, I've fixed it!
It was with some help in the Hyperion forum (thanks fitzsteve):
http://forum.hyperion-entertainment....p=13073#p13073

So, for everybody who wants to recover the Floppy and the Cd drive after Update 4:

Open a shell and type: ed System:Kickstart/Kicklayout-A1200

For the floppy:
Reading down you will find this message:

Some A1200 from Amiga Technologies have a hardware problem. Or in fact some floppy drives designed for Pcs have it. When disk.resource checks for the internal floppy drive it doesn't claim to be present. When you have such a model and you miss the DF0: device uncomment the following line by removing the leading semicolon. Then disk.resource will always report that DF0: exists and is a 3.5" drive when it could not be found.

So uncomment the line commented.

For the Cd using Idefix:

You will find another place where it talks about the Ide scsi.device. It tells that the scsi.device can not autodetect Idefix.../ Ideport doubler hardware.
So uncomment that too. Edit: Or leave it as it is and use the Idefix software. What do you get with this? That then you can boot the Amiga with the OS4.1 Cd inserted.

Apart of this I commented another line (;C:Ata3.driver), as I'm not using a Fast Ata.

I hope Hyperion will fix this in the next update.

Last edited by Retrofan; 12 May 2012 at 22:38.
Old 12 May 2012, 21:15   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Well done, mate, and thanks for posting details of the the workaround here!
Old 12 May 2012, 21:40   #27
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Good news :-)
Old 12 May 2012, 21:44   #28
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Simply you have to comment and uncomment everything just as you select what you want in the first install. After Update 4 it loses all the info you selected there.