English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 December 2002, 12:01   #1

access SCSI HD using ASPI ?

Gents,

Suppose I can't change to win XP for some reason(s) and I would like to access my Amiga-SCSI-hd anyway. Would it be possible to change WinUAE so that it will use the ASPI-layer (like for CDrom) to do SCSI-direct ?

My PC has a SCSI2 host-adapter which will nicely allow me to use my amiga CDrom as an addition but how can I get UAE under win98se to use ASPI instead of the 'native 2000' or 'native XP' library ?

Ideas anyone ?

Old 20 December 2002, 13:37   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not possible. uaescsi.device filters all hard disk devices out (safety feature. I don't want users to accidentally destroy contents of their PC partitions..)

Even without filtering (I'll add command-line parameter that disables filtering in next release) there is no easy way to mount harddrives because uaescsi.device only accepts direct scsi commands and some io-commands that are required for working CDROM support.

btw: there is no reason to not dump Windows9x
Old 20 December 2002, 13:55   #3

Hooooo

So, the HD devices are expressly filtered out. I agree with your reasoning (saftely first !).

But what do you mean by:
'there is no easy way to mount harddrives because uaescsi.device only accepts direct scsi commands and some io-commands that are required for working CDROM support.'

If I attach my scsi HD to the pc-scsi-card and switch on uaescsi.device, will kickstart2 see the HD ? (as it has a
RDB from the A590, where it comes from).
Your suggestion is 'no', but what does that have to do with 'only direct scsi commands', isn't that what the fastfilesystem is doing?
Anyway: readonly would be quite OK (i.m.h.o.)
please forgive any lameness that shows up here ! ;-)

I still got 1 reason to not dump Win98: quite some of my pc-hw is not supported due to driver-stuff.

Old 20 December 2002, 15:28   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
If I attach my scsi HD to the pc-scsi-card and switch on uaescsi.device, will kickstart2 see the HD ? (as it has a
No. uaescsi.device does not support automount/autoboot. Manual mounting (mountlist) might work..
Old 20 December 2002, 22:56   #5

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Right!

I'll be waiting for the uae release which has the cmdline option to leave other SCSI material in the unit-list!

Note that such an 'not_cd_only' option might allow use of my tape drive (BIG tapes :-)) (?)

Thx :-)

Old 21 December 2002, 15:06   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Note that such an 'not_cd_only' option might allow use of my tape drive
Only harddrives are filtered, all other devices should be available to Amiga side. (CDROMs, scanners, tape drives etc..)

Check winuaelog.txt