English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CARE

Old 29 September 2015, 17:01   #61
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
However, you should be aware that up to 512 sprites (16 x 16 pixels) are being displayed on the screen simultaneously.
It looked just too easy. I knew there would be something bad somewhere...
Old 29 September 2015, 17:16   #62
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
It looked just too easy. I knew there would be something bad somewhere...
Yeah that really hurts. That's the reason why I had to add a frame skip routine.
Old 29 September 2015, 19:13   #63
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Where most games written in C rather than Asm for the x68000? Is there anyway you can do a all cpu no blitter version that would run on both Atari and Amiga?

What was the point of games being rewriten back in the day for 68k machines from scratch like the Atari ST and Amiga when they had already be written for 68k the x68000
Old 29 September 2015, 19:31   #64
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Boo Boo

I have the feeling is a mix of factor between resources (use a 030 like in falcon to run a game that runs on a 68000 in the original), rights (companies would not like other to reverse engineer their code), pride (japanese in the 90 still convinced to be the best plus the rights as above) and ignorance (i not even knew x68000 existed if was not for a computer mag - technopolis - that the father of a friend of mine brought back from Japan) - ah add greed (probably companies thought reverse engineering was more complex and less result-prone than rewrite the whole thing and they did want fast dough so no risk taken)
Old 29 September 2015, 19:45   #65
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The basic machine was 68000, if they were buying the license why not ask for the C source this was the development machine as I understand?
I guess the machince graphics is above the blitter. It seems some Euro games made there way to the x68000 xenon2.
The x68000 adeverts have pictures of tutankhamun witch is one of the big Dpaint things.
Also it would be cool to see Aros on the x68000 - I realy like this computer but I would miss all the independent games and I dont think it has many intresting apps.
Old 29 September 2015, 20:11   #66
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@Boo Boo
i throw hints at Falcon and x68k communities once in a while to port AROS but guess they are not interested
Old 30 September 2015, 18:24   #67
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Where most games written in C rather than Asm for the x68000? Is there anyway you can do a all cpu no blitter version that would run on both Atari and Amiga?
No, Cho Ren Sha 68k is an exception. Most games have been written in assembler for the X68000.

I think that it would be easy to have a first version which would run on the Amiga as well (without graphics). The problem here is that I have no experience on the Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What was the point of games being rewriten back in the day for 68k machines from scratch like the Atari ST and Amiga when they had already be written for 68k the x68000
The graphics and sound capabilities of the systems are too different. Most games of that era have been developed very tightly on the system specific features so that an easy port is almost impossible. Also the different memory configurations are limiting the possibilities. However, the X68000 porting experiment might prove that this isn't always true...

Porting games between MC68000 based systems mainly depends on how the graphics and sound routines can be replaced. This approach works well on the X68000 because the graphics system is quite simple. However, the Videl processor (16 bit colours and flexible graphic modes) on the Atari Falcon was really helpful for this task.
Old 30 September 2015, 23:35   #68
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Hi Sascha ! You did a great port of Cho Ren Sha !
I spent quite some time playing Cho Ren Sha on my Falcon during my summer holidays.

Anyway, there is a bug from time to time : an enemy ship that normally appears on the middle of the screen suddenly cross the screen from top to bottom at a lightning speed, it's so fast that it is impossible to dodge it so it results to an instant destruction of the player. And each time this bug appears, then when you exit the game, the screen becomes black. It's impossible to go back to the TOS. Did you ever experienced this bug ?
Old 01 October 2015, 17:15   #69
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
Hi Sascha ! You did a great port of Cho Ren Sha !
I spent quite some time playing Cho Ren Sha on my Falcon during my summer holidays.
Thanks!

Quote:
Anyway, there is a bug from time to time : an enemy ship that normally appears on the middle of the screen suddenly cross the screen from top to bottom at a lightning speed, it's so fast that it is impossible to dodge it so it results to an instant destruction of the player. And each time this bug appears, then when you exit the game, the screen becomes black. It's impossible to go back to the TOS. Did you ever experienced this bug ?
That's really strange. So the bug does not occur all the time? When exactly did that happen. Are there any special programs loaded before starting the game?
Old 02 October 2015, 06:33   #70
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
That's an *unaccelerated* Falcon I believe. IE DSP, blitter + 16 mhz CPU.
One can do pretty crazy things with a stock Falcon. Cf Douglas Little's ongoing work on the Quake2 engine: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...Ww_M5nMm10m0UM (watch the playlist in reverse to get a chronological evolution).

The true color mode and DSP can really make a difference if one is willing to spend the time needed to carefully parallelize work between the CPU and DSP.

I guess we were lucky that Atari messed up the Falcon's CPU bus.
Old 02 October 2015, 10:11   #71
frank_b

The X68000 games porting experiment

Did they? It is 16 bit but at 16 MHz. The data cache also works on chip ram access unlike Amigas. Remember the stock 1200 is 32 bit but chip ram is only 7 MHz. "Chip" memory access is faster on a Falcon. 16 bit memory access is faster than a 1200. Just add on accelerator fast ram to both.

Last edited by frank_b; 02 October 2015 at 12:29.
Old 02 October 2015, 11:51   #72
Leffmann

It's yet a bit worse on the Amiga, because even if the AGA chip bus runs at 7 MHz, it's effectively only 3.5 MHz for the CPU and the Blitter, just like on OCS and ECS. Only the bitplane DMA ever gets any performance benefit from the 7 MHz bus.
Old 02 October 2015, 12:25   #73
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
It's yet a bit worse on the Amiga, because even if the AGA chip bus runs at 7 MHz, it's effectively only 3.5 MHz for the CPU and the Blitter, just like on OCS and ECS. Only the bitplane DMA ever gets any performance benefit from the 7 MHz bus.
Indeed. The Falcon is quite a bit faster here. It's also much faster on VGA displays.
Old 02 October 2015, 12:47   #74
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I guess we were lucky that Atari messed up the Falcon's CPU bus.
Well, just consider this: if Atari would have added an 8 bit chunky pixel graphics mode, Cho Ren Sha 68k would've been more than twice as fast.
Old 02 October 2015, 15:20   #75
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
My, what a disaster.
Yeah, I guess the Falcon's bus is not that messed up in the end.
Old 02 October 2015, 16:40   #76
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
My, what a disaster.
Yeah, I guess the Falcon's bus is not that messed up in the end.
Easily solved with a fast ram expansion on both
Old 02 October 2015, 18:15   #77
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
That's really strange. So the bug does not occur all the time?
Yes, it only appears from time to time.

Quote:
When exactly did that happen. Are there any special programs loaded before starting the game?
No, there are no programs loaded before, I just start the Falcon and then load Cho Ren Sha. I use ICD though. Could it be related to ICD ?
Anyway this bug appears only once in a while, I would say 10%-15% of the time so it's not that annoying after all. But I was wondering if it was a known bug.
Old 02 October 2015, 18:19   #78
Jack Burton

Quote:
Does it means that the Amiga Blitter runs at 3.5 Mhz ? (I always thought it ran at 7 Mhz)
Old 02 October 2015, 18:36   #79
frank_b

Quote:
Does it means that the Amiga Blitter runs at 3.5 Mhz ? (I always thought it ran at 7 Mhz)
The blitter on the Amiga can use unused DMA slots.
Old 02 October 2015, 18:38   #80
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
No, there are no programs loaded before, I just start the Falcon and then load Cho Ren Sha. I use ICD though. Could it be related to ICD ?
Thanks for the reply. I am using HD Driver so this is indeed a difference but it shouldn't make a difference at all.
Quote:
Anyway this bug appears only once in a while, I would say 10%-15% of the time so it's not that annoying after all. But I was wondering if it was a known bug.
So far I've got no report on any bugs. Care to elaborate how I can reproduce the bug? E.g. how long do I have to play to observe it?