English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 July 2004, 11:24   #1
redblade
Zone Friend

Menace Amiga Format pages please

Hi.

If any one here has issues 8-13 of Menace (I think those are the issues) then can some one please scan the issues about assembler programming with the Menace source please.

Cheers. -Red
Old 20 July 2004, 12:39   #2
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Better yet, lets have the whole caboodle, scans, source etc in the Zone. I'd love to have that game re-made for something like Pocket PC ....
Old 21 July 2004, 03:33   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

I have the source code of the disks, which I can upload them in .lzx form. It's on my Amiga HD atm and am trying to track down a screen. Also am trying to AGA fix it, ie _LVOLoadView, _LVOWaitTOF. I should have a screen this weekend, unless some one outbids me. grrh.

although for some strange reason they have
$32 instead of $22, I forgot what it is called, either gb_ActiView, or hmm forgot the name of the other one gb_copinit ?!?!?

But I am having trouble with the Bullfrog Source, but that will be in another thread =].
Old 24 July 2004, 09:52   #4
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

AF Menace articles found

I have found some photocopies of the original articles, the quality isn't brilliant, but the majority of the text is clear. If you are still interested I will scan them in and up them.
Old 25 July 2004, 01:36   #5
redblade
Zone Friend

Yes please, photocopies will do for now =]
Old 25 July 2004, 09:42   #6
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

In the zone.
Old 25 July 2004, 21:30   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

I think I got the real mags, will take a look at it soon
Old 27 July 2004, 05:14   #8
Jim

God how I remember this series. This is what first got me into assembler on the Amiga, how great it was for him to show off his source/techniques for what isn't that bad a game.

If you compare it to the final-product that the Bullfrog tutorial produced (that was a nasty piece of shit) you can appreciate just how useful this was to the aspiring codemonkey.

Thanks for uploading the scans to remind me

Old 27 July 2004, 08:46   #9
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Remind me please someone if AF included the graphics so U could assemble the whole game? Might be useful to port Menace to other formats!
Old 27 July 2004, 11:29   #10
Jim

They did, but it's level 1 only I think. But it wouldn't be hard to rip the rest of the graphics from full game.

But I don't think this was in the spirit of the article, a good programmer like this releasing his code wasn't doing it for Menace clones/ports.

But I suppose with time it doesn't reall matter now?

Old 27 July 2004, 12:33   #11
redblade
Zone Friend

I quite like the structure of the bullfrog tutorial, because all I had to do was change main.s to get it running nicely under AGA, and then I could copy it to all the other months.

I did find the Menace code nice as it had a nice horizontal scrolling, It actually tried to allocate chip ram as well which I found nice. Would be nice to change the gfx to the Contra ones =].

But damn it had trouble using convert on the bullfrog tutorial to incorporate some test sprites into the game.
Old 02 August 2004, 15:55   #12
nzo
WHD/oldskool maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherek Carnelia
In the zone.
I was on holiday. Can somebody upload it again to the zone please?
And the sources from Redblade too!

Thanks in advance,
enzo
Old 03 August 2004, 02:20   #13
redblade
Zone Friend

Er I havn't uploaded my sources yet, they are still sitting on my AmigaHD and I don't have a monitor, I could use a TV screen, but I'd prefer to wait till I get a real screen.

All I did was change the menace code so that you didn't have to use Killaga before running it.

You'll be able to do that to if you get HowToCode.

just change one of the coper equates from $32 to $22.
Old 08 August 2004, 22:11   #14
Pyromania

I still need this, I missed it the first time it was posted.
Old 09 August 2004, 04:17   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

Pyro, check my FTP m8
Old 19 August 2004, 20:14   #16
terrence

Hi all, I'm currently remaking Menace for the old Atari. Can anyone post the files into the zone again. I've been looking for the Amiga sources for a while. I'm sure I've got the original cover floppies somewhere but I'll probably never find them. If anyone has the pages scanned also that would be great. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE>>bippym >> check my FTP m8

Would you mind letting me know your FTP details? It would be a great help for me to get any files related to Menace.

Old 19 August 2004, 20:32   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

bipsftp.myftp.org
port: 21
pass: REQ
username: REQ
Old 20 August 2004, 20:47   #18
terrence

Thanks for that. The articles are great, I remember them going out. Some very useful stuff there. ...

It would be helpful to use the graphic tiles which will be nicely arranged in the included files. Before I got this source, short of me filicking through a memory dump of the executable, I have now looked at the graphic files included with the source, it appears to be either RAW formatted or an IFF with the header removed? I've not looked at the files on my Amiga yet but on the PC, it appears to be in a format that I can't read? Does anyone know a quick way to convert the graphic files to a standard format? or what format the files are in.

The article does of course mention good old defacto DPaint being used as always but also that they used a small in-house conversion program. If it is indeed basically RAW data with no header I guess I will have to read this on the Amiga or Amiga emulator for ease of recognising.

Oh well, it's been a while... any help appreciated.

Old 21 August 2004, 01:06   #19
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs up Menace graphics converted to IFF

I've written a quick program to convert the foreground graphics - and here they are as an IFF file. There are 2 versions included, one is 256x256 pixels wide and the other is the more normal 320x256. Tile numbers start and 0 and go from left to right then down.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MenaceGraphics.zip (37.6 KB, 365 views)
Old 21 August 2004, 11:48   #20
terrence

CodeTapper > I've written a quick program to convert the foreground graphics - and here they are as an IFF file

That's great. Thanks. Out of interest, were they actually RAW data? What does your conversion prog do?