English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 29 November 2018, 11:10   #2341
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Its alright, I just love to explain jokes

To answer your question: I like the latest Tomb Raider, but I just don't like Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft; she looks, speaks, screams and acts nothing like her. I mention "screams" specifically, she screams like a little girl and that really breaks the tough-girl character that the movie forces on her.

The movie itself only really starts to wake up after you had to sit through a really pointless motorcycle chase scene that does not seem to end and then a run-over-boats chase scene. But if you persist through that first half hour of stock action movie stuff... there is something of a modern day Tomb Raider movie in there.
Old 29 November 2018, 14:12   #2342
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Its alright, I just love to explain jokes

To answer your question: I like the latest Tomb Raider, but I just don't like Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft; she looks, speaks, screams and acts nothing like her. I mention "screams" specifically, she screams like a little girl and that really breaks the tough-girl character that the movie forces on her.

The movie itself only really starts to wake up after you had to sit through a really pointless motorcycle chase scene that does not seem to end and then a run-over-boats chase scene. But if you persist through that first half hour of stock action movie stuff... there is something of a modern day Tomb Raider movie in there.

I think that Alicia is growing up with this movie, fighting her insecurities that IMHO were main points of this movie. It is like 'origin' story about character, that should have work well well, but IMHO daddy issues is not what we were hopping to see.

Domestically movie did not make enough to cover cost of making, so not sure what kind of gap there will be for next movie, if there ever going to be one with this actors.

Last scene in movie purposely shows Lara we all were hopping to see in this movie.

What Women Want (2000)

Another movie from almost 20 years ago that just works well, interesting characters, story, some humor here and there and age old question - what women want?! I remember seeing it back when was released, but forgot much about it.

It seems that they are making new adaptation of this movie, but new version is about question that should have been much easier to answer: What Man Want (2019)

6 / 10

Got quite few movies in queue to watch.

Last edited by Anubis; 29 November 2018 at 14:20.
Old 29 November 2018, 14:33   #2343
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
[...] Tomb Raider (2018) [...] 7.5 / 10
Hum, this movie does not deserve such rating. Acting is not good. Scenario lack consistency.
It can be watched but it's not the kind of movie I'd like to watch again. If I were still a teenager, I would say: "at the end of the night (5 am), after a lot of beer and a plate of spaghetti... to fall asleep...."

Quote:
Agree

On another thread I mentioned a movie. Better to quote here maybe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
This last article reminds me a movie from 2009 : The Joneses.
Interesting one. Worth a watch if you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicist on IMDB.com
Storyline: "The Joneses", a social commentary on our consumerist society. Perfect couple Steve and Kate Jones, and their gorgeous teen-aged children Jenn and Mick, are the envy of their posh, suburban neighbourhood filled with McMansions and all the trappings of the upper middle class. Kate is the ultimate trend setter - beautiful, sexy, dressed head-to-toe in designer labels. Steve is the admired successful businessman who has it all: a gorgeous wife, big house and an endless supply of high-tech toys. Jenn and Mick rule their new school as they embody all that is hip and trendy - cool clothes, fast cars and the latest gadgets. But as the neighbours try to keep up with the Joneses, none are prepared for the truth about this all- too perfect family.

Last edited by malko; 29 November 2018 at 21:32.
Old 30 November 2018, 01:35   #2344
malko

Ok, let's go for what I have seen recently

Skyscraper (2018)

The plot: Dwayne "Rock" Johnson play the role of an ex-soldier, Will Sawyer, who lost his team during a rescue mission. Thanks to a mate of him, he is in Honk Kong with all his family to assess the highest building in the world (thanks CGI) .
During his working day he is aggressed and his family that should be somewhere else get stuck in the building that is "taken hostage" by mercenaries. The mercenaries want to destroy the skyscraper to force the owner to escape with something really important that they want to retrieve.
To help all this, given that Will is responsible for the building assessment, the police thinks he is responsible for the problems that arise in the building and wants to arrest him.
Will is outside, his family is inside and so begins the run to try to save his family from a burning skyscraper.

This is an action movie for sure. And I would say also (but not only) a good "Die Hard" remake !
Except for the parts :
- when Will has to access the control panel inside the propeller (in a real situation anyone would have been shredded);
- when he escape the propellers to go back inside the building (the writers really pushed the envelope there);
- when his wife goes to get the kid on this small piece of wood while Will is holding the bridge (ah ah ah).
the acting from all actors is right, and there is a good humour this and there.
I also enjoyed the wink to "Total recall" when, near the end, they fight against their reflections.

All in all, this film is a great way to have a good time. We're not smarter after that, but we're relaxed.
7/10
Old 30 November 2018, 12:41   #2345
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well, after Rampage I will believe that Skyscraper is dumb fun I'm just running the risk of being over-Dwayned.
Old 30 November 2018, 21:20   #2346
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

My kids like his movies. New Jumanji , Journey 2, Game Plan, Moana and Tooth Fairy, all good kidz movies.
Old 01 December 2018, 02:47   #2347
jmmijo

Quote:
My kids like his movies. New Jumanji , Journey 2, Game Plan, Moana and Tooth Fairy, all good kidz movies.
Wasn't he also in San Andreas ?
Old 03 December 2018, 15:35   #2348
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Wasn't he also in San Andreas ?
Is that kids movie as well??

He was in last F&F, performing Haka with kids - another little bit of that movie my kids like.

[ Show youtube player ]

They went step further of just performing Haka, they actually got Maori blessing for performance.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...121526205.html

I would agree, probably best part of the movie.

Last edited by Anubis; 03 December 2018 at 15:40.
Old 03 December 2018, 17:10   #2349
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Is that kids movie as well??
Its a disaster movie... so yes

What is a kids movie anyway, my parents let me watch the OG Robocop
Old 03 December 2018, 18:03   #2350
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Agree, he was in many disaster movies, such as F&F franchise, new Baywatch, Doom, Scorpion King etc.

Not sure, one of my kids avoids everything with violence, but she has no problem reading all those dystopian books?!

9 year old likes to watch everything, but then he gets scared.
Old 05 December 2018, 15:08   #2351
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Speaking of CGI fests, I put up Rampage expecting it to be a real dumpster fire - I was in the mood for a bad movie.

But it wasn't, as far as cliche CGI action vehicles with giant monsters goes, this is one of the better movies. I'm not going to say it is the best game adaptation as for that the source game is just too simplistic. But still... this IS a Rampage movie, no doubt about it. The three giant monsters are there, the retarded army is there, the giant buildings being demolished are there.

If you're looking for stupid fun, this is worth a watch.
Well said.

Only thing to add - this is what Kong and/or Godzilla movie should look like.

Charismatic actors, good humor and happy ending. (not - in Borat's voice )

Part that is easy to remember: S-H-H-I-I-I-I-T-T...
Old 07 December 2018, 00:32   #2352
malko

Quote:
[...] Next movie I saw was Foreigner (2017) - It is just unusual to see Jackie Chan in movie that is not comedy. Apart from that, this movie even quite predictable, is well made action/revenge flick, with its light on old conflict (IRA / Ireland), terrorism and political games. Movie also sheds light on bureaucracy and slow and ineffective justice.

What makes this movie more interesting, swearing in Irish dialect... worth watching. Pierce Brosnan aged well, and delivers good performance, just as you could excpect from seasoned actor. It is almost hard to recognize him, specially since just day later I saw another movie with him that I will cover next.

7.5 / 10
Did see it (in French of course ). A very good movie indeed!

In addition to what you said Anubis, despite his age (64) Jackie Chan is still in good shape for fighting .

Some parts are not enough described even if Quan is an elite ex-soldier (how did Quan get Liam's mobile phone number ?, How did Quan knew where was the Liam's country house ?).
Also disliked the "enormous" explosion of the laptop's battery and it's not clear why Quan's daughter died as the bomb targeted a financial institution (and she was in a shop...).
The political background is also well described.

Again thanks for the tip Anubis . 8/10.
Old 10 December 2018, 15:53   #2353
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ant-man and the Wasp. I love the first Ant-Man movie. Its zany, its original and its nice and stand-alone, not bogged down by the Infinity War storyline (yet).

Ant-Man and the Wasp is still mostly stand-alone although it is a direct follow up to Captain America: Civil War... and that's basically where it's charm ends. The one thing I'll give it is that it doesn't follow the usual antagonist VS protagonist trope; this movie doesn't really have a bad guy, at least not one that can pose any kind of threat. However, that is what Marvel does best. Put up a big colourful baddy to defeat, pick a superhero or a pack of superheros to go defeat it, write a story around it and be sure to plug in some references to other movies in the franchise, as well as some setups for future movies. So that makes Ant-Man and the Wasp pretty un-Marvel to say the least.

It basically revolves around Hank and Hope trying to bring back Janet, Hank's wife who in the first movie is presumed dead but at the end of it we learned that Hank suspects she may still be alive. The actual main story thread is about how they have a large string of bad luck due to different people interfering with their mission, which continuously forces them to steal stuff back in order to complete it. Obviously that requires repeated use of the shrink/grow tech which we already got to sample in Civil War. Its fun and really well-animated, but you see nothing new. Except for the Wasp, but anything new about her was already blown in the trailers.

Ant-Man and his gang of misfits is basically just there for comic relief and to be a punching bag. The focus is this time mostly on the Wasp, Ant-Man's female counterpart. A strong female lead portrayed perfectly by Evangeline Lilly and which would have done great in movies such as the Avengers or a Captain America movie. But in Ant-Man and the Wasp (or "the Wasp and Ant-Man" as it should have been called)? Not so much. I found the movie lacking spice, a little too serial for it's own good.

6/10 - MEH with a few fun highlights.
Old 10 December 2018, 16:32   #2354
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah Ant-man and the Wasp wasn't great... really getting bored of all these silly Marvel movies and spin-offs.

If you want to watch a shite movie; I recommend The Predator. What an absolute pile of poop; to be expected really

IMDB rating was generous though; I'd give it a 3 maximum...
Old 10 December 2018, 17:01   #2355
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Agree to disagree, the Predator is so wrong it's good. I had a blast with it. But then again I saw it on the biggest loudest screen possible and that tends to help explosive action movies a whole lot
Old 10 December 2018, 19:08   #2356
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Agree to disagree, the Predator is so wrong it's good. I had a blast with it.
You got one thing right; so wrong indeed.

Thankfully I didn't pay good money to see this in the cinema; otherwise I would have walked out halfway through and been very annoyed
Old 10 December 2018, 22:50   #2357
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Can't wait to see how bad it is...

Of course, I am waiting until it is on Netflix or some other streaming or premium channel, preferably one I already have.
Old 11 December 2018, 01:07   #2358
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Don't let me down Anubis. YOU! THE CHOSEN ONE! At least you! I have faith in you that you can let go of the golden McTiernan days of yore which is not ever coming back (along with the rest of the glorious 80's/early 90's) and see this movie for what it is. The best we're going to get in this day and age when it comes to classic franchises. Open your mind! Open your miiiiiind!

Ahem, I think I zoned out there a little for a moment. Now where was I? Oh yes. Apparently, Bumblebee against all odds turns out to be...a nice 80's Transformers throwback that has actually managed to get rave reviews across the board for a change. Bay drops it like it's hot and all of a sudden an actual movie rather than an explosion documentary comes out of the Transformers factory, who knew? Guess who's run run running to the cinema again pretty soon!
Old 11 December 2018, 14:18   #2359
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

While waiting for that train-wreck, watched Coen brother's classic - Big Lebowski (1998).

It is just hard to believe it has been 20 years since movie came out and is there much to say about 'dude' that has not been already known?!

From great selection of actors, good acting to just pure dumb fun... It is just interesting how everything fits together, specially since screenplay was written with Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, and Sam Elliott in mind. Not often you can see Julianne Moore naked in movie.

All you can say is: 'Shut the fuck up Donny!'

8.5/10