English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 07 September 2012, 23:35   #1
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Box art cover author data

I suggest to add a field "box art cover author" (or so) for each game. There is a lot of information about these people in original manuals and I think it could be interesting.
Old 07 September 2012, 23:38   #2
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
yeah
http://chrisachilleos.co.uk/art-shop...roduct=9551739
Old 08 September 2012, 00:05   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Well, it is not always easy to find the relevant pieces of information.
For instance, on MobyGames, Pseudo_Intellectual, who is one of the people who are active on the matter, sometimes has to post for help to find the correct author based on small hints (like a signature). For example:
http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,8/dgm,158493/

However, I quite agree that it can be interesting. Especially to see listings of box arts made by the same person.
Even if there is only a minority of games for which the information is easily found, better have the info. specified for those and not for the others rather than having nothing specified.

One possible caveat will probably be when there are major hints indicating a covert art was done by X but without any 100% trustworthy elements.

And finally, there is the question of who will add the info. in HoL, since most of us are really lazy
Old 08 September 2012, 19:45   #4
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
And finally, there is the question of who will add the info. in HoL, since most of us are really lazy
I am not a HOL team member, but I would be happy if there would be a way how to have that section under my competence. At least until I am excited by the idea
Old 08 September 2012, 21:01   #5
mai

Actually the real problem is, who configures the HOL database to have additional columns for adding this info.
Old 08 September 2012, 22:00   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Actually the real problem is, who configures the HOL database to have additional columns for adding this info.
Unless I am mistaken, probably only RCK can do that. So it will take some time before it it done.
On the other hand, during that time, we can still collect the info and discuss related matters.

At worse, without changes, the information can be added as notes in the Information tab or as comments under the boxscan pictures.
On the other hand, if we want to have the possiblity to have listings about one author, we will need to either add this as a new category of Artists or create a new row for "Boxart artists".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I am not a HOL team member, but I would be happy if there would be a way how to have that section under my competence. At least until I am excited by the idea
Well, since most people involved in HoL are either busy with personal life, other projects, lazy (like me ) or have more or less disappeared, I guess that someone dealing with those would be welcome.

Judging from your forum posts you are thorough enough for the job.

Anyway, first things first, we need to have the opinion of some HOL core members on the idea and its potential implementation.
Old 08 September 2012, 22:38   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, probably only RCK can do that. So it will take some time before it it done.
On the other hand, during that time, we can still collect the info and discuss related matters.
1.) Indeed only RCK can implement it.
2.) Think about several months up to serveral years.

Quote:
At worse, without changes, the information can be added as notes in the Information tab or as comments under the boxscan pictures.
Actually not a bad idea at all for now. Of course it would be redundant once there will be an actual field (or type) in the database, but it would be a good way to have that information until it is implemented.
Old 09 September 2012, 16:43   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Actually not a bad idea at all for now. Of course it would be redundant once there will be an actual field (or type) in the database, but it would be a good way to have that information until it is implemented.
I think it needs a separate field for filtering, listing and searching.
Old 10 September 2012, 14:40   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

How about info what additional have CD32 version?
Old 10 September 2012, 15:01   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
How about info what additional have CD32 version?
Well since the CD32 versions have separate entries, we can easily add those as notes.

Two remarks though:

1) as with the thread dealing with what extra RAM can bring, it would need to be double checked each time. Preferably by two EAB members (or at least one EAB member and a reliable third-party source).

2) It will be difficult to define limits of what would deserve to be noted or not.

- Should we go into technical details?: CD32 add parallax scrolling in half-brite sine scroller with double buffering depth of field mirror fractal ray-traced graphics?

- Should we go into precise details? CD32 version has 20 seconds more of video playback. The first video has 3 seconds more. At frame 45 we see the hero has one more arm movement. At frame 80, there is a subliminal message to drink Lucozade etc....

- What about the sound tracks? Should we list how much they sound like the original (disk version)?

I fear that they might get some wikipedia-like fights about notability:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ngAsNotability

Well, you probably have guessed that I am more in the TVtropian state of mind, but I would understand people complaining of HOL entries bloated with useless info.

For instance, check that post I made about Super Stardust CD32 and the thruster trail:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=810798&postcount=19

I am sure some people would debate for hours if it is an interesting info to add or not. (ofc it is ultra-interesting, probably the main selling point of the CD32 version ).

Perhaps you have a different idea of the subject. Perhaps worth to start a new thread?
Old 10 September 2012, 15:26   #11
s2325
Zone Friend

I thought it was old idea but no one wanted to do it.
Old 10 September 2012, 16:02   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

I guess there were other priorities in the past (there are still a lot of things to improve but most games have a least a decent entry these days).

Well anyway, as long as HOL members have not given their opinions, there won't be any major change I suppose.

By the way, if things take a long time to happen (if RCK is difficult to contact or something else) perhaps there is still the possibility to use the wiki as a collaborative tool.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27515

It could serve as a repository to complement a dedicated thread (in case the thread starter disappears) until a decision for HOL is reached. Or to store minor details while HOL entries would hold the major elements only.