English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 January 2010, 19:56   #1
Heula

shortkey to set match Amiga 500 speed

Is there a way to set a shortkey to set the "match Amiga 500 speed" in CPU and FPU in the Winuae setttings when playing a game?

I have a Amikit setup with the fastest possible but maintain chipset timing setting and this way Amikit runs smooth and fast.
But there are a lot of games I like to play which run way better when the "match amiga 500 speed" setting is enabled.

Kick off 2 for example has major sound issues when amiga 500 speed isn't enabled. Panza kick boxing had blurry images etc.

With F12 the Winuae settings menu will popup and I really like when there would be such a key I have to hit to change this setting.

Possible or is there another way to this fast?
Old 04 January 2010, 20:09   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

For example create script that runs following command before the game:

uae-configuration cpu_speed real (and uae-configuration cpu_speed max to switch back to fastest possible)

Note there is no guarantee you get A500-like speed in non-A500 modes..

(do not ask about uae-configuration, search first! )
Old 04 January 2010, 20:28   #3
Heula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
For example create script that runs following command before the game:

uae-configuration cpu_speed real (and uae-configuration cpu_speed max to switch back to fastest possible)

Note there is no guarantee you get A500-like speed in non-A500 modes..

(do not ask about uae-configuration, search first! )
oke i found this post http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=628012&postcount=11 and it might do what I want?

Do I only have to place this text in the uae configuration file in the C directory of the Amikit folder?

ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cachesize 0 cycle_exact true
ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cycle_exact false cpu_speed max cachesize 8192

I'm not really a programmer type so this is really new to me.
Old 06 January 2010, 22:32   #4
Photon

He probably means some WinUAE-key-bindable function like "Warp Mode".

I.e. set a default perfect proper specific config, run it superfast, because he knows his utilities work with cycle exact off and immediate blitter and fast 68000 speed, and most games too. But for some games he needs to make the config "1:1 speed" again.

Could be a nifty function. Warp mode is good for booting "cycle exact a500s fast" but ofc it messes up things like keyboard-repeat (impossible to type) and probably clock display etc too

However, doing it with cycle-exact/imm blitter/inc cpuspeed allows you to have the exact config of the machine/setup you like or own, run at superspeed all the time and hit the "turbo off" key when some game won't work. I'd love a key like that!
Old 07 January 2010, 10:35   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can configure any config option change to key press/button press etc but it means using unintuitive input panel's highly unintuitive custom events..

I suggested uae-configuration because it is quite easy to make amigados script for each game that changes configuration settings before starting the game and sets them back after game ends.

Note that I assumed non-whdload games.. whdload games only need linked prefs change.

uae-configuration comes with winuae, not sure if it is included with any custom wb setup, put it in C:.
Old 07 January 2010, 12:58   #6
Photon

Ah. Very flexible and nice.

Not a solution for me tho. I'm mostly after max speed on a specific platform (without warpmode since that makes it impossible to type), and some kind of turbo off button when I run demos or my own code. Any possibility of binding "toggle immediate blitter, toggle cycle-exact, toggle cpu speed between default and max"?

Are there readmes where I can figure out the exact custom event string for that?
Old 15 February 2010, 23:26   #7
Photon

*bump*

Specifically looking to add 'uae-configuration warpmode=1' at start of s:startup-sequence and turn it off at the end of it.
Old 16 February 2010, 00:18   #8
Photon

By setting warpmode manually and typing uae-configuration switch list to a file and watching the changes, I thought that this would turn it on/off:

Code:
;warpmode ON
;uae-configuration cpu_speed=max cpu_cycle_exact=false blitter_cycle_exact=false cycle_exact=false gfx_framerate=10

;load workbench or whatever

;warpmode OFF
uae-configuration cpu_speed=real cpu_cycle_exact=true blitter_cycle_exact=true cycle_exact=true gfx_framerate=1
But no. Is there some activation "DO IT NAUW!" command I have to append, or did I miss a setting?
Old 16 February 2010, 06:37   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I suggested uae-configuration because it is quite easy to make amigados script for each game that changes configuration settings before starting the game and sets them back after game ends.
Nice idea, however:
what if you have a disk-based NDOS game with the OS instantly disabled/circumvented by the track loader??
That's where a hotkey is definitely the only way out, since there is no such thing like a "startup-sequence" available anywhere in these cases.
Old 16 February 2010, 08:16   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=426792&postcount=7