English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 11 April 2007, 21:33   #1
MethodGit

Addams Family Graphics glitches

Hey there. Just thought I'd let you know that I seem unable to get a perfect version of Addams Family running through WHDLoad when using custom OSes like ClassicWB, AIAB etc. At first it was sound *and* graphics problems, but using the "uae-configuration" guide helped fix the sound at least (JIT was affecting it). But the gfx problem remains. Many sprites out-of-colour, Thing animation at startup looks glitchy. It doesn't make a difference if the cpu_speed flag is used (I'm mostly using cachesize).

I don't know if it's the slave, WHDLoad, WinUAE, or the OS I'm using, but I thought I'd report it here just in case. I'm using WinUAE 1.4.0 and WHDLoad 16.7.4217 btw.

Here's what I've found out just now (currently using ClassicWB P96 edition, latest version, using its default UAE setup):

When emulating a 68020 or 68040, the graphics are fine but the sound is fucked when JIT is enabled. Using uae-configuration however - while fixing the sound - screws the graphics up in turn. Curiously though, if I manually disable JIT through WinUAE's GUI - the graphics remain intact and good.

On a 68020+FPU, both graphics and sound are bad when JIT is on, and good when JIT is off. Same problem where uae-configuration doesn't ensure the graphics remain perfect, but turning off JIT through the GUI does. UPDATE: ok, erm, I don't seem to be getting the "both problems at once" thing with an FPU now. Is emulation this random?

So, erm, bottom line then: Addams Family's soundbank doesn't like JIT, FPU may or may not make a difference, uae-configuration isn't as flawless at doing things properly as WinUAE itself.

Maybe changing the slave to use Kick 1.3 emulation might work?
Old 11 April 2007, 22:22   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Use this settings as tooltypes and the game works fine with a 68020+FPU and JIT.

Quote:
ExecuteStartup=uae-configuration cpu_speed real immediate_blits true
ExecuteCleanup=uae-configuration cpu_speed max immediate_blits false
Old 12 April 2007, 00:38   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

First make sure that you copy 'uae-configuration' from WinUAE's Programs folder into C on system drive. (usually DH0)

Paul (RIP) did create a guide on how to solve those problems. (here)

Last edited by Anubis; 12 April 2007 at 00:48.
Old 12 April 2007, 20:53   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
this game makes use of encryption, and encryption doesn't like anything but
standard accurate config. I use a cycle exact accurate A1200 config with
68EC020 and my whdload version doesn't have any bugs ! the sound and graphics are plain good

Use a quickstart A1200 config, and you'll get what you want !
Old 15 April 2007, 01:49   #5
MethodGit

Well I thought I'd let you lot though that this config works reasonably well for the game when using AmigaSYS 3 (with R2 patch (and subsequent OS4 theme) and installed with Amiga Forever CD), with ASYS's default UAE configuration.

Code:
uae-configuration cachesize 0 immediate_blits true
(I'd much rather play games without a decrease in performance that usually happens if you slow the CPU down to A500 speed - it's not good for the flash OS either!)

Unfortunately, it appears that ASYS is completely unable to use ExecuteStartup/Cleanup commands in a tooltype for some reason (are they only supported by the newest WHDLoad, which this thing doesn't install by default (newest version that is)?), so I have to resort to manually doing it through a CLI shell instead (which btw, isn't properly setup in the system - it has a nice Shell icon in the System drawer, but it expects a file called "Shell" to exist, when there's "CLI" in the directory).

When playing, I did notice that some sound effects wouldn't play sometimes, so you hear noticeable blips during gameplay or just nothing at all. Is this normal?
Old 15 April 2007, 01:56   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I assume you've copied the uae-configuration file to the c: folder of your AmigaSYS setup, right?

Sounds very strange that the tooltypes didn't worked for you. I requested this feature for WHDLoad 16.5 or 16.6, works fine with my Plain OS3.9 & AmiKit setups. I noticed no graphic & sound glitches.

Anyway, my suggested tooltypes should work for you too.
Old 15 April 2007, 15:14   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
I assume you've copied the uae-configuration file to the c: folder of your AmigaSYS setup, right?
Yuppity.

Quote:
Sounds very strange that the tooltypes didn't worked for you. I requested this feature for WHDLoad 16.5 or 16.6, works fine with my Plain OS3.9 & AmiKit setups. I noticed no graphic & sound glitches.
Aaaaaah, maybe the version thingy could well be the problem! AmigaSYS includes WHDLoad 16.4 [build 3761] (according to the startup window). Maybe if I update it, it might just work.......
Old 15 April 2007, 17:04   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Aaaaaah, maybe the version thingy could well be the problem! AmigaSYS includes WHDLoad 16.4 [build 3761] (according to the startup window). Maybe if I update it, it might just work.......
Yep, it should be.
Old 16 April 2007, 08:52   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i got the glitches even with V16.7. It's programming related (encryption).

You must emulate under winuae 1.4.1 instead of winuae 1.4.0 at first, and use a cycle exact config.
Or it won't work with JIT, FPU, etc....