English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 December 2001, 19:55   #1
DPainter

Should I buy this Amiga setup for $130?

I found a local guy offering 2 Amiga A500's, one with 1.3 roms and the other 2.4. Both with software, mice, and at least 2mb of RAM. He'll also throw in an external floppy drive and a box containing 50 or so original games and apps, with boxes and manuals. He says one of these A500s is really new. All for $130 or less, if I can talk him down more.

On the other hand. he also has an Amiga 3000 with 2 floppies/2.04 ROM,8mb fast/2mb chip and a 210mb SCSI drive for $150. The advantage here is the VGA output, so I won't need an Amiga monitor.
Old 10 December 2001, 20:02   #2
P-J

Well...

I'd say it's absolutely no contest.

The Amiga 3000 is a far superior machine, and has a much better upgrade path if you choose to take it.

If it were me, I'd take the 3000 ( and the games )
Old 10 December 2001, 22:54   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

And I can send you the money for the A500 stuff and you can send it to me, whilst you enjoy the more high-powered Amiga. Tell you what, you pick! You take one and I'll send you the dosh for the other (and for shipping!)
Old 10 December 2001, 23:36   #4
Amiga1992

The A3000 will provoke certain compatbility probs with ole games, since it has an 030 and Kickstart 2.0. One thing I dont know is if normal Amiga modes work on a VGA monitor. if they work, be ready for blocky-o-rama, since there are no scanlines in VGA monitors

I'd take the two A500s, more bang for the buck. if yuo want to use more serious shiznit, and perhaps plan on expanding the Amiga, take the 3000.

In the case you skip the 3000, can you please sell it to me?

Let's fight for it Twistin! Here! *bocko* take that!
Old 11 December 2001, 00:04   #5
DPainter

I dunno, but it seems that similar Amigas with monitors can be had on eBay for less than $130-$150.

I have to drive an hour one way just to meet this guy, so I'd better be sure about what I want. Maybe I can offer him $200 for everything? He might laugh at that until I slide two fresh $100 bills under his nose.

Twist, I'm leaning toward the Amiga 500s myself just for the sake of compatibility. RAM disks work fine for what I need to do.

It won't be easy sneaking three old computers past my wife, considering I've got one Amiga 1000 (taken apart now) on my floor, two TI-99/4As in my closet, and four old PC laptops strewn about the house.
Old 11 December 2001, 01:01   #6
P-J

Oy!

Just take the 3000 man, upgrade it, and make into a dream machine.

Why would you want both? Unless of course you buy them both and sell one onto Twistin' for a higher price 'coz he's a sucker.

...or just get a 1200 and wait for the AmigaOne. No comment plz Akira
Old 11 December 2001, 21:12   #7
RetroMan

I also would take the A3000 At least since I only paid $20 (US) for 2 x A500 here in germany, they are really cheap .... but that A3000 seems to be a good deal
Old 11 December 2001, 21:59   #8
DPainter

Most people say get the A3000, but on eBay I see them for much less than $150.

I'm just going to bring $200 and see if I can't talk him out of everything, including extra floppy drives.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
Old 12 December 2001, 18:25   #9
DPainter

Floppy disk Sale closed.

After a harrowing drive and search through the apartment slums of Long Beach, California, I found my man (after getting a gun waved at me when I went to the wrong apartment :eek ).

I went there intending to buy the Amiga 3000, but when I saw his boxes and boxes of copied Amiga disks, I couldn't resist. I made him an offer he couldn't refuse, and he sold me about 900 disks in ten plastic cases. I then gave him $60 for the newer Amiga 500 plus an external drive, plus an extra Kickstart 1.3 ROM chip.

I ran out of cash and couldn't afford any original games, of which the most notable were Creature, Altered Destiny and Adventure Construction Set.

However, I found another guy selling originals and he lives in a similar area. Should I risk my life yet again in search of the lost treasures of Amiga? Here's his list of boxed originals, which he's offering for $75 for all:

Another World
Bat
Chamber of Sci-Fi Mutants
Defender II
Defender of the Crown
Full Metal Planet
Ishido
Neuromancer
Pioneer Plague
Pirates
Populous
Power Monger
Risk
Shogun
Space Station Oblivion
Spot
Starglider II
Sword of Aragon
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?
Wings of Fury
Zany Golf
Airborne Ranger
Archipelagos
Arkanoid
Balance of Power
Captain Blood
Carrier Command
Chessmaster 2000
Chronoquest III
Colonel's Bequest, The
Colony, The
Conquest of Camelot
Continuum
Defender of the Crown
Designasarius
Destroyer
Double Dragon
Fast Break
Fool's Errand, The
Future Wars
Gold Rush
Island of Hope, The
Lost Dutchman's Mind
Lost Patrol, The
Midwinter
Monopoly
Omni-Play Basketball
Pioneer Plague
Roadwar 2000
Roadwar Europa
Shadowgate
Space Quest II
Stock Market Game, The
Street Sports Basketball
Tetris
Their Finest Hour
Theme Park Mystery
Treasure Trap
Unreal
Wargame Construction Kit
Waterloo
Public Domain
Climate
Diskmaster 2
Workbench 1.32
X-Copy Professional
Textcraft Plus
Old 12 December 2001, 18:40   #10
Amiga1992

So you skipped the A3000? me wants!
Old 12 December 2001, 20:14   #11
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
So you skipped the A3000? me wants!
Try this A3000. A much better deal!
Old 12 December 2001, 21:42   #12
RetroMan

Hmmm, "Shipping in USA only" ..... so I would say that "excludes" Akira in a way
Old 12 December 2001, 22:49   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hehehe...gotta be careful in ol' Long Beach. That's Snoop territory, ya know. I remember that place before it became gangstaville. I risked life and limb once in Thousand Oaks just to get a bunch of DJ 12" singles for some stuff I was doing. And I used to work for a DJ pool that sent me to Compton 2-3 times a week, picking up and delivering music on Martin Luther King Blvd, Crenshaw, etc. Car-jackings with uzi's were all the rage in those days, but the secret was to drive a car there that was not worth the dramatic crime.

Anyway, I'd go for the commercial games. Dammit, how come I never found stuff like that when I was in CA! Although I bought a ton of old game systems for practically nothing, so I guess I can't bitch.

Can't wait to see what pirated goodies were in the booty!
Old 13 December 2001, 00:33   #14
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
Hehehe...gotta be careful in ol' Long Beach. That's Snoop territory, ya know. I remember that place before it became gangstaville. I risked life and limb once in Thousand Oaks just to get a bunch of DJ 12" singles for some stuff I was doing. And I used to work for a DJ pool that sent me to Compton 2-3 times a week, picking up and delivering music on Martin Luther King Blvd, Crenshaw, etc. Car-jackings with uzi's were all the rage in those days, but the secret was to drive a car there that was not worth the dramatic crime.

Anyway, I'd go for the commercial games. Dammit, how come I never found stuff like that when I was in CA! Although I bought a ton of old game systems for practically nothing, so I guess I can't bitch.

Can't wait to see what pirated goodies were in the booty!
Straight outa Compton,
a crazy Amiga freak...

It was really a funny sight when we hauled the ten boxes of disks and the Amiga 500 outside, then I ran to my cruddy 92' Honda and drove it up to the curb and we loaded everything quickly as if we were stealing someone's stereo collection.

On the island of Yap, they have a tradition of collecting giant stone money. The money is valued in part by how risky it was to get it. Now those boxes of Amiga disks have such a value, whatever they contain.

Some day I will stand with my boy and say, "Son, years ago I almost took a cap in my head for these disks. Hold on to them and make sure you keep them away from strong magnets."

(Boy this thread is heading way off topic...)
Old 14 December 2001, 18:53   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Hmmm, "Shipping in USA only" ..... so I would say that "excludes" Akira in a way
That could be arranged, I have a house and family in the US But I'm late