English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike Cloanto?
Dislike 72 48.00%
Like 78 52.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 March 2019, 14:25   #141
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Yet another one that equates "open source" with "free to copy for everyone"...
Once again you're drawing hasty conclusions just for the sake of sending a knock .
Are you going to answer to the initial question ?
Old 20 March 2019, 14:27   #142
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Well, I'm a strong H&P supporter too The improvements weren't really relevant to my use case, eg. I don't do any printing. It was never going to be a quick or easy job to turn 3.1 into something that surpasses 3.9 in every respect, but that point is coming, and 3.1.4 is an important step on that path.
Well, it's interesting that you don't seem to notice the obvious hypocrisy in your reply. You have been highly critical of Cloanto's 3.X (which include parts of OS 3.5 and 3.9). Rather than seeing it as an "Important Step On That Path" you prefer to call it "Crippleware" and you are quick to ignore the new "Incompatibilities" of 3.1.4.
Old 20 March 2019, 14:43   #143
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

OS3.X is well named; it is just a random hodge-podge of components from various ancient versions which causes issues for programs that want to actually take advantage of OS3.9 features. It is not a step on a path to anywhere as it has no developers; Cloanto does not even have source code for all of it.
Old 20 March 2019, 15:34   #144
TuKo
Apollo Team

Which issues/programs ? I've been pretty happy with 3.X and never encountered an issue with a program with it.
Old 20 March 2019, 15:39   #145
Dr_Procton

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I would like to know more about this. Toni getting a portion of the app purchases? That's great if it is so.
Michele Battilana is obviously a sponsor of Toni as AmigaForever is based around it. So it's for sure his support (on many forms) on winuae emulator's author. What is not know is that he's the major fund contributor of aros kickstart replacement (an open kickstart may be against his interest, but nonethless if you look for that aros bounty you'll find that he devolved lots of money on it)
Old 20 March 2019, 15:43   #146
Debvgger

I think it may be time to stop being so mad at everything. I bought and used 3.5, 3.9 and now the 3.1.4. I have the 2012 edition of both C64 forever and Amiga Forever with the DVD set, even though I prefer to use WinUAE directly.

I use the Amiga mainly for programming and I tend to favor 3.1 over 3.5 and 3.9. I think 3.1.4 is an amazing gift for the Amiga platform but everyone's entitled to use whatever they like.

About the company wars, to be honest, at this point there has been so much exposed about everyone's whereabouts that I don't see why anyone could have any doubts about who's on the right and who's not.

Old 20 March 2019, 19:23   #147
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
@Thomas Richter
it is easier on my configuration (1260ppc-bvision-256Mo)
What "is easier"? Sorry, but I really want to learn what the expectations are...
Old 20 March 2019, 19:25   #148
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Rather than seeing it as an "Important Step On That Path" you prefer to call it "Crippleware"
Not clear what is crippled about it, but there was really not much going on either.
Quote:
and you are quick to ignore the new "Incompatibilities" of 3.1.4.
As there are?
Old 20 March 2019, 19:47   #149
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
What "is easier"? Sorry, but I really want to learn what the expectations are...
Not "is easier" in the meaning "ist einfacher" but "easier on" which corresponds to German "belastet meine Hardware nicht so sehr".
Old 20 March 2019, 20:51   #150
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Not "is easier" in the meaning "ist einfacher" but "easier on" which corresponds to German "belastet meine Hardware nicht so sehr".
Then there is something completely upside down. 3.1.4 is, as far as the hardware requirements are concerned, certainly lighter (I believe this is a more appropriate word) than 3.9, mostly due to reaction, which is a rather heavy-weight component that is not included. Everything else is, code wise, pretty close to 3.9 anyhow.
Old 20 March 2019, 20:59   #151
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Not clear what is crippled about it, but there was really not much going on either.
3.X was probably described as "Crippled" because it could not fully support all of the features and functions of OS 3.9. But this also implies 3.1.4 is also "Crippled" so I will leave the matter between you and Minuous.

Quote:
As there are
I assume you have not forgotten about kolla and his repeated complaints regarding the 3.1.4 Shell script handling problems. I also assume you have not forgotten about the 3.1.4 CPU command no longer supporting FASTROM (but of course, what you consider to be a new feature some users consider to be a compatibility problem).
Old 20 March 2019, 21:13   #152
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I assume you have not forgotten about kolla and his repeated complaints regarding the 3.1.4 Shell script handling problems. I also assume you have not forgotten about the 3.1.4 CPU command no longer supporting FASTROM (but of course, what you consider to be a new feature some users consider to be a compatibility problem).
And, once again, what has this to do with an "incompatibility"? The first is a bug, and exactly that, and in no means "incompatible". The second is by design, as the intended CPU command line parameter would not work on anything than a particular subset of 68030 based installations, so it was in general not advisable to use in first place.
Old 20 March 2019, 21:38   #153
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@SpeedGeek :

For the record (from the thread AmigaOS 3.1.4 withdrawn from market after Amiga)
Quote:
[...] Will this be fixed? Of course it will. There will be an update, tentatively scheduled for Q1 2019, but as always, it will be ready when it will be ready. According to my information, this will be a free update for 3.1.4 owners. [...]
Plus (from Hyperion support forum) : http://forum.hyperion-entertainment....hp?f=15&t=4250
Old 21 March 2019, 00:33   #154
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512k View Post
@cmsj You Said

I always though they were free loading off winuae got a link that says some money goes to toni?
http://www.amigapodcast.com/2016/04/...oni-wilen.html question 11.
Old 21 March 2019, 00:49   #155
Foebane
Banned

Sometimes, when I tried using Amiga Forever with the demos, there would be this excessive instability with the emulation, and even A500 demos would guru right in the middle. And higher end demos? Forget it! I was never sure what caused this, although I figured that it was either the Cloanto Kickstarts or the old version of WinUAE used by AF.

Did anyone else have issues like this?
Old 21 March 2019, 00:55   #156
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@TuKo:

See the attached screenshot; you will notice that they are all obsolete versions from OS3.5, so calling V45 functions will not work, the users will be stuck with the bugs that were fixed for OS3.9, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	af-gadgets.gif
Views:	104
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	62541  

Last edited by Minuous; 21 March 2019 at 01:01.
Old 21 March 2019, 03:15   #157
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
Doesn't specify whether that "support" comes with a "€" at the front of it.

Meanwhile, does anyone know if anybody at Cloanto backup-ed the Kickstart ROMs themselves for preservation and emulation? Or was that also the work of others?

No point in me asking if any of original engineers that made the Kickstart ROMs while at Commodore received any "royalty" so to speak from Cloanto. Safe to assume they do not and never will.
Old 21 March 2019, 03:18   #158
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Procton View Post
Michele Battilana is obviously a sponsor of Toni as AmigaForever is based around it. So it's for sure his support (on many forms) on winuae emulator's author. What is not know is that he's the major fund contributor of aros kickstart replacement (an open kickstart may be against his interest, but nonethless if you look for that aros bounty you'll find that he devolved lots of money on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post

Yes Toni says Cloanto supported him, and I think that's good. I mean if Toni is getting a fair deal out of it then I guess it's kind of silly to object to Cloanto profiting off of the work of others.

Quote:
11. Are you getting support from rest of Amiga companies (like Cloanto, Hyperion, A-EON or Elbox) to help develop better emulation? At the end everybody get a lot of from your work: like A.L.I.C.E project or Hyperion.

Cloanto has supported me and still does (Cloanto was one major reason for UAE expansion OS4 compatibility happening so quickly). Haven't heard anything from other companies. (Does not include A.L.I.C.E, because it is not a company )
I guess if someone wanted to look at this cynically, Cloanto pushed for OS4 support in UAE as that is the product of their competitor which they wanted to support. Hyperion might have made some classic edition sales out of it, it's possible.
Old 21 March 2019, 03:39   #159
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Yes Toni says Cloanto supported him, and I think that's good. I mean if Toni is getting a fair deal out of it then I guess it's kind of silly to object to Cloanto profiting off of the work of others.
Support how exactly? Sure wasn't with Euros. What's fair about it?

Silly to object someone selling free software? Since when?

What about the ROMs, did Cloanto make those?
Old 21 March 2019, 13:25   #160
SpeedGeek

Quote:
And, once again, what has this to do with an "incompatibility"? The first is a bug, and exactly that, and in no means "incompatible". The second is by design, as the intended CPU command line parameter would not work on anything than a particular subset of 68030 based installations, so it was in general not advisable to use in first place.
Now you are splitting hairs, incompatibility resulting from a bug or a removed function has the same end results. "Not Advisable" WTF? It was advised by Commodore in OS 2.0-3.1 and by H&P in OS 3.5-3.9.