English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 February 2024, 15:09   #1
Bren McGuire

Octamed 8 then what's the deal?

anyone have any more details about Octamed 8 besides the absolute nothing "revealed" by A-EON? it lists Amigakit as a developer since when is Amigakit a developer? who is actually working on this and what can we expect from it?
Old 07 February 2024, 15:42   #2
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
anyone have any more details about Octamed 8 besides the absolute nothing "revealed" by A-EON? it lists Amigakit as a developer since when is Amigakit a developer? who is actually working on this and what can we expect from it?
OctaMED V8 (A-EON Technology Ltd)
OctaMED V8 is a continuation of Teijo Kinnunen's famous music tracker program. The previous Amiga release of OctaMED, named Sound Studio, was released in 1996. OctaMED V8 resumes development, building upon the original source code. New features such as AHI and CAMD midi library support have been added in addition to bug fixes.

Plug an optional USB to Midi adapter into the A600GS and OctaMED can playback and edit Midi tunes.
link
Old 07 February 2024, 19:01   #3
amigakit.com

Quote:
it lists Amigakit as a developer since when is Amigakit a developer?
AmigaKit employee has been recently developing OctaMED 8 after A-EON Technology purchased all the Amiga rights and source code in 2015. It will be pre-installed on the A600GS along with other AmigaKit developments such as SystemV46, AmiBench and AK-Datatypes.

The official OctaMED Amiga Wiki is here: https://wiki.amiga.org/octamed

This will be updated in due course as more details are revealed by A-EON.

OctaMED Soundstudio has an internal source code version of 7.x. It was last worked on by the original author Teijo Kinnunen in 1996.

Apart from bug fixes, the updated version 8 will add long awaited major features such as AHI support and CAMD library support.
Old 07 February 2024, 19:39   #4
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Will Octamed be available as a stand alone purchase as well?
Old 08 February 2024, 05:05   #5
verm71

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Will Octamed be available as a stand alone purchase as well?
There was a thread here that definitely points to that, yes. I'll try t link it.

For now I think the exclusivity to the A600GS is a sales tactic for the system. Seems a little ambitious, and maybe opposite end first, but hey.

Last edited by verm71; 08 February 2024 at 05:15. Reason: accuracy
Old 08 February 2024, 23:15   #6
Bren McGuire

mate i literally said i had already read the absolute nothingness of that statement from A-EON maybe you didn't read before copypasting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
[INDENT][I]OctaMED V8 (A-EON Technology Ltd)
OctaMED V8 is a continuation of Teijo Kinnunen's famous music tracker program. The previous Amiga release of OctaMED, named Sound Studio, was released in 1996. OctaMED V8 resumes development, building upon the original source code. New features such as AHI and CAMD midi library support have been added in addition to bug fixes.
all sounds like a copyright refresh to me anyway who is this "employee" and what are they credentials to be working on music software?
Old 13 March 2024, 10:39   #7
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

Anyone has a contact for the developers? I have a few bugfix to suggest.
Old 17 March 2024, 11:39   #8
amigakit.com

Please send your bug fixes and feedback to support@amigakit.com

We will pass them on to our in house developer
Old 17 March 2024, 11:50   #9
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
mate i literally said i had already read the absolute nothingness of that statement from A-EON maybe you didn't read before copypasting

all sounds like a copyright refresh to me anyway who is this "employee" and what are they credentials to be working on music software?
Why do you need to know this probably commercially-sensitive information? The employee working on the update may or may not have worked on commercial Amiga software before, but some of the greatest Amiga games were made from scratch by first-time developers, updating an existing program isn't as big a job (providing the old OctaMED code was reasonably efficient and well-annotated).

AHI and CAMD midi library support are new features for a start.
Old 17 March 2024, 14:53   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Why do you need to know this probably commercially-sensitive information?
What? Knowing who the developer is is a "trade secret"??
Quote:
some of the greatest Amiga games were made from scratch by first-time developers, updating an existing program isn't as big a job (providing the old OctaMED code was reasonably efficient and well-annotated)
I also don't understand why you have to first off underplay how hard it can be to update a software, whether source is available or not, and second get so "offended" by someone asking logical questions. The "press release" has not divulged much information and besides the two things you mentioned, nobody else knows what this "update" is. Asking who the developer is is a completely innocent question and I don't see why it has to be a "secret".
Old 17 March 2024, 16:28   #11
mainactor

AFAIR about 30% of the original code was 68k assembler with some comments in finnish language. Ofcourse this belongs to player, mixer, screen handling stuff, the note editor and more. The GUI itself was done with some kind of internal scripting language. So long ago I had this ugly code in my hands...

Time to see the new Digibooster3 in the wild life... ;-)
Old 17 March 2024, 16:29   #12
mainactor

Regarding the developer I would say Andy Broad as always...
Old 17 March 2024, 17:03   #13
Rob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Please send your bug fixes and feedback to support@amigakit.com

We will pass them on to our in house developer

I assume this would be the other avenue for reporting bugs. Just created an account to what info was available. Octamed isn't currently shown in the projects list.

It would be handy to add the bugs that have already been squashed since your developer started working on 8.1, just to save people reporting bugs that have already been fixed

http://www.amiga.org/developer/bugre...ignup_page.php
Old 17 March 2024, 23:03   #14
qz3fwd

Mark my words it will remain exclusive to their new emulation hardware device to drive sales. Hopefully it will be offered stand-alone, but they have a couple other titles languishing in nothingness also for years now.
Old 18 March 2024, 03:59   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
they have a couple other titles languishing in nothingness also for years now.
Yes, like the OS3 Enhancer Software that was announced 7 years ago and never released. Consequently, I have a lot of doubts about their professionalism and competence.
Old 18 March 2024, 05:33   #16
DisasterIncarna

if they end up making new/enhanced software then thats only a good thing, but the impression i got from previous posts is that they might be looking to do the same as the Vampire and trying to make stuff where you "need" their hardware/software and wont work on emulation/FPGA's/OG Hardware, thats what i dont like.
Old 18 March 2024, 15:26   #17
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
if they end up making new/enhanced software then thats only a good thing, but the impression i got from previous posts is that they might be looking to do the same as the Vampire and trying to make stuff where you "need" their hardware/software and wont work on emulation/FPGA's/OG Hardware, thats what i dont like.
I doubt that many people buy a A600GS just to use Octamed. It is no music hardware solution. And regarding Vampire, I am currently not aware of new games that only run on Vampire. But I read a lot of discussions where people asked why buying the hardware if there is no special software that makes use for it. Software finally sells hardware. So you cannot blame them for doing it. But currently I do not know any exclusive software on it.
Old 18 March 2024, 23:12   #18
Bren McGuire

you mean version 4 or 5+? because 5+ and Sound Studio use standard Intuition interfaces and this one right here is supposed to be the continuation of Sound Studio

but yea we don't know anything and it all seems tied so far to a device that cannot sample audio and cannot control anything via MIDI like what is the point here of having CAMD support on the A600GS???

we know nothing and amigakit says nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainactor View Post
AFAIR about 30% of the original code was 68k assembler with some comments in finnish language.
Old 19 March 2024, 12:25   #19
mainactor

@BrenMcGuire: No, I mean Soundstudio, lots of ASM code. Even Intuition resp. Gadtools stuff is doable with this.
Old 22 March 2024, 06:57   #20
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
OctaMED V8 (A-EON Technology Ltd)

Plug an optional USB to Midi adapter into the A600GS and OctaMED can playback and edit Midi tunes.
link
For existing Octamed SoundStudio,

https://aminet.net/package/driver/audio/TheMaestrix

Maestrix emulates the Maestix MaestroPro API library for the AHI output target.