Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 March 2014, 02:52   #21
Amigan123

Maxell cd-r 80 700mb discs work fine on my cd32

Just burn them slow as possible
Old 05 March 2014, 11:52   #22
Riempie
Amiga freak

I have been testing with 2 CD32's (and 1 extra laser-unit) lately and cd-r's and I'm having different results with both machines with cd-r's as well as originals.

Kid Chaos (original) takes a lot longer to load on 1 CD32 vs the other. But after all, the game works fine on both CD32's.

I was told verbatim cd-r's were the best so I use these. I use Nero 6 in a VMware (windows XP) om my Windows 7 laptop. Nero 6 doesn't work on windows 7. My cd-burner only excepts 10x speed as the lowest...

I've burned Super Stardust, Pinball Illusions and Marvin's Marvellous Adventure.

These games only work when I turn both CD32's off and back on with the discs in them. A reset of the machine doesn't boot the games. Also it takes a while before the game loads and the spinning of the cd makes a different sound (hick-ups) compared to originals.

Pinball Illusions works fine on both machines although it also takes a little longer to load on one of the CD32 machines. Pinball Illusions doesn't have a heavy intro compared to Super Stardust.

Super Stardust has an intro where every cut-scene is loaded after each other. This works fine on one CD32, but on the CD32 which loads every game slow (even originals) it takes a long time before the first cut-scene is loaded. When the 1st cut-scene is finished it should instantly start the next cut-scene but on the slow CD32 it's takes a long time before the next cut-scene is loaded. During this load-time the sound of the previous cut-scene is hanging...

Conclusion: not every CD32 (or laser-unit) is the same. I cleaned the laser of the slow CD32 but it didn't help. I'm trying to find an other CD32 which doesn't have the slow-loading problems (because the other CD32 is for my brother ).

Messing with new cd-r's on a 20 year old machine takes a very long time and causes frustration
Old 05 March 2014, 14:24   #23
Amiga1992

Try cleanin the axle of the motor of the one that loads slow, Riempie. Give it a good nice clean and then lubricate it with very thin oil, those that are very runny, , almost like water.
Old 05 March 2014, 14:52   #24
TreacleWench
Amigaaaarrrrgghhh

My CD32 plays all the originals I have fine. I tried the 700MB Maxell CD-R's burnt in Nero 10 and they usually work.

The first burn of Heimdall 2 I did didn't work but I tried it again it worked fine. The 888 CD only occasionally loads and a custom WHDLoad disc I made myself loads only some games but with horrendous graphic/sound bugs. I will try burning these discs again.

The slowest I can burn is 10x but I have burned discs at 24x which have worked perfectly. Seems to be hit and miss really; If the first burn doesn't work, try another one.

By the way, the Maxell discs are a good price in Costco (UK) - £12.58 for 100!
Old 05 March 2014, 15:15   #25
Riempie
Amiga freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Try cleanin the axle of the motor of the one that loads slow, Riempie. Give it a good nice clean and then lubricate it with very thin oil, those that are very runny, , almost like water.
Thx for the tip! I'll see what I can do.

I replaced the top case (with complete cd-laser unit) with an other one, which resulted in the same slow loading issues. I thought this might be a motherboard-thing or maybe a problem of the cable connected to the motherboard? The clip of the cable is a little broken on one side but it seems to fit well...

Or does the axle of the motor only have someting to do with the power-cable inside?
Old 05 March 2014, 15:16   #26
Amiga1992

Hmmm I'm not really sure now that you get more technical... I know these things can get grubby and ruin performance. Like, it's a common problem in the Dreamcast too.

I never opened the CD32 so I have no idea how it works.
Old 06 March 2014, 12:26   #27
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
Thx for the tip! I'll see what I can do.

I replaced the top case (with complete cd-laser unit) with an other one, which resulted in the same slow loading issues. I thought this might be a motherboard-thing or maybe a problem of the cable connected to the motherboard? The clip of the cable is a little broken on one side but it seems to fit well...

Or does the axle of the motor only have someting to do with the power-cable inside?
If there was a problem with the cable, then it wouldn't work at all.
Does it play Audio cd's nice and quick?
Old 06 March 2014, 12:46   #28
Riempie
Amiga freak

Hi FOL,

If I remember well, audio cd's work fine.
Old 06 March 2014, 16:59   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Hi FOL,

If I remember well, audio cd's work fine.
Try tweaking the laser or replace it.
First thing to try would be cleaning the laser lens.
Old 06 April 2014, 21:52   #30
Riempie
Amiga freak

Got myself another cd32 which loads every new burned verbatim cd-r without problems. Burned with imgburn (10x)..

On the other 2 cd32's same issues as before.
Is replacing the lens an easy job? (No soldering I hope)..
What does tweaking the laser mean?

My brother also wants a cd32 that works well
Old 07 April 2014, 13:01   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Got myself another cd32 which loads every new burned verbatim cd-r without problems. Burned with imgburn (10x)..

On the other 2 cd32's same issues as before.
Is replacing the lens an easy job? (No soldering I hope)..
What does tweaking the laser mean?

My brother also wants a cd32 that works well
Its not to hard to replace. One clip and metal bar comes out, then laser is loose. You do however have to remove he shorting link (on laser) with soldering iron.

Tweaking = Turning the pot on laser (MARK POT FIRST, so you know where it was roughly).

Tried cleaning laser lens first?
Old 07 April 2014, 15:06   #32
Riempie
Amiga freak

Yes, I've cleaned the lens. No effect..
I'll have a look to see if I'll be able to tweak the laser...

Maybe I need someone else to have a look at this...
Old 14 July 2014, 11:03   #33
TreacleWench
Amigaaaarrrrgghhh

I finally got round to replacing the laser with a KSS-210B. I purchased the laser from a UK seller on eBay for £9.99 including postage and followed the guide located here. It was much easier than I thought it would be, only took about half an hour.

It now reads CD-Rs with no issues. The discs I burnt before that didn't work now work fine and even the discs that did work load much faster now. Original CD32 discs still work as well of course.

Amazingly I got this result with no adjustments to the pots on the laser or the controller board, I guess I was just lucky!

Highly recommended upgrade
Old 14 July 2014, 15:43   #34
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleWench View Post
Amazingly I got this result with no adjustments to the pots on the laser or the controller board, I guess I was just lucky!
Thats correct, the cd boards are all factory setup. So a replacement laser slots in without issue.

Only people who mess with the factory setup pots on the main cd board will have issues.
Old 10 September 2014, 22:19   #35
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Tried to use imgburn to burn cdr at x1 on my TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB07 drive. Imgburn states that the drive can only burn at speeds from x8 and up... Any ideas how to get a slower burn?

The discs that I have burnt all seem to run fine on WinUAE. On real HW they vary from nothing to black screen or very rarely loading to a title screen before freezing.
Old 10 September 2014, 22:21   #36
Amiga1992

It isn't necessary. I burn at 10X and they work fine.
Old 10 September 2014, 22:29   #37
DDNI
Targ Explorer

hmmm so I must have some HW issue on my CD32?
Old 10 September 2014, 22:30   #38
DDNI
Targ Explorer

it seems to read a burned music cd ok.
So far I have tried cheap Tesco CD-r and Sony Supremas CD-r