English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 February 2020, 20:42   #21
Bren McGuire

Blaze is indeed an amazing proof of concept. Wish it had been finished.

As for the OP, buddy, lol, you seem to have lost your marbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Blaze is basically Sonic for Amiga - I think the source is even available it would be interesting if a different background could be added, I've haven't looked but the Map is probably not to hard to edit. But this thread Sonic didn't stop in the 16 bit era it continued well past it.

Blaze
[ Show youtube player ]
I think the Author said he redraws everything on screen like Toki Amiga, Blaze is 25fps but still amazing.
Old 14 February 2020, 21:10   #22
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The REAL reason sonic did not come out imo is NOT that is not possible, but both lack of manpower and fear of IP; Yup, even on OCS/ECS: just a Master System version port could come out (and people to complain is not "Amiga-ey" enough) and satisfy the requirement, and no, does not need to be 50FPS.

Ok, destructible environments could add some tech problems, i know but else nothing that a miggy cannot do with some adaptation - thinking at Mr.Nutz in example... (Techno City made my jaw drop at the time, at 42 minutes)

[ Show youtube player ]

"Remember when bashing metal was fun?"

Last edited by saimon69; 14 February 2020 at 21:33.
Old 14 February 2020, 21:54   #23
Retro1234
Boo

Kid Chaos took lots of time and effort and the team got little reward now imagein the the time and effort Sonic would take some things would be easier now but these conversions take time and effort.
Old 14 February 2020, 22:19   #24
van_dammesque

I'm glad zool was never the official Amiga icon, as the game was very very poor! I preferred Robocod!
Old 14 February 2020, 22:51   #25
dreadnought

For me a true Amiga Icon is Pinky from King Of Chicago. As for platformers I'll take Fire & Ice any day over Sonic. It won't beat it on tech level, but it's more charming (especially the little one) and I much prefer its relaxed gameplay over Sonic's headless chicken shenanigans.
Old 14 February 2020, 23:15   #26
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
I'm glad zool was never the official Amiga icon
For a long time I thought it was, I was pissed when I saw the game appear on other platforms. Mario and Sonic would NEVER let that happen to them!
Old 14 February 2020, 23:40   #27
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
I think most games were better on consoles (simulators, strategy and adventure games were The exception though)
Mega drive got a port of lhx attack chopper tho, if the had ported that to 68000 they could have went the extra step to Atari St/Amiga
Old 14 February 2020, 23:40   #28
Steve
You are Fake News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
The REAL reason sonic did not come out imo is NOT that is not possible, but both lack of manpower and fear of IP;
No the REAL reason it didn't come out on Amiga was because it was a SEGA product, with the SEGA mascot and they wanted it to be exclusively on SEGA hardware. Sonic was created with the sole purpose of selling more Megadrives around the world.
Old 15 February 2020, 00:07   #29
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No the REAL reason it didn't come out on Amiga was because it was a SEGA product, with the SEGA mascot and they wanted it to be exclusively on SEGA hardware. Sonic was created with the sole purpose of selling more Megadrives around the world.
Well, fear of IP mean that even later on people did not want to mess up to avoid a takedown; SEGA is usually lenient with coders and sonic community, i know but the risk is still there...
Old 15 February 2020, 03:20   #30
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Mega drive can only do platformers. Try getting a flight sim or settlers to run it. Amiga is the best all round games machine of the 16bit generation
Right... Obviously you've never played one of the many brilliant Megadrive shoot em ups.

This is the problem with the Amiga. The fact that most (not all) of its fans are convinced it's the best system in every single area, even when it's painfully obvious that even a NES has much better games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane
Could an A500 do Sonic? I believe it can.

Come off it. The Amiga couldn't even manage Gods at 50/60fps, the slowest moving platformer of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay
Your attempts at trolling really are laughable
There's a big difference in trolling and providing a factually accurate statement. If anyone's trolling, it's the OP. Saying how much better the Amiga is than the MD, despite admitting to never playing one.

Anyone who thinks the Amiga was better for gaming than any of the popular consoles of the time is kidding themselves. The games coming out of Europe and USA were absolute rubbish compared to the Japanese stuff.

Last edited by Hewitson; 15 February 2020 at 03:26.
Old 15 February 2020, 09:04   #31
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Just in case some of you weren't aware of Sonic character redesign after fans complained of its sheer ugliness during the screening sessions :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 February 2020, 10:24   #32
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post

There's a big difference in trolling and providing a factually accurate statement. If anyone's trolling, it's the OP. Saying how much better the Amiga is than the MD, despite admitting to never playing one.

Anyone who thinks the Amiga was better for gaming than any of the popular consoles of the time is kidding themselves. The games coming out of Europe and USA were absolute rubbish compared to the Japanese stuff.
Sorry your talking BS! Saying “the Amiga is shit for games” is neither a ‘fact’ or at all accurate, this is just BS trolling on an Amiga forum!

I think the Amiga is better for gaming than the Megadrive, but then define ‘better’? I swapped my Megadrive for my mates Amiga because i got fed up with the same game genres on consoles, that’s not saying those genres were crap, but if you want a machine that can do more genres, than the Amiga wipes the floor with the Megadrive.

Having better ‘technical’ games and having more ‘fun’ doesn’t always equate when playing games, and the latter would always come on top for me when deciding on a machine.
Old 15 February 2020, 10:25   #33
Retro1234
Boo

Obviously Amiga could do Sonic, Amiga has Sonic already Kid Chaos, Mr Nutz, and Blaze.

Yeah Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Worms etc were rubbish

Last edited by Retro1234; 15 February 2020 at 10:32.
Old 15 February 2020, 11:27   #34
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
even a NES has much better games.
The very best NES games (eg. Skate or Die) are similar to the C64 versions. The majority are inferior. So I don't see how the NES has better games than a C64 let alone an Amiga. I was given a mini-NES with over a hundred games and unfortunately not one of them is worth playing.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 February 2020 at 13:04.
Old 15 February 2020, 11:40   #35
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Just in case some of you weren't aware of Sonic character redesign after fans complained of its sheer ugliness during the screening sessions :

[ Show youtube player ]
I call RUBBISH on that, and say that the final big-eye design was established first. They just made the small-eye version and threw that out as a trailer as a publicity stunt to get more interest in the movie... and it worked.

Some YouTube people said the above about the Sonic movie, and I choose to believe them.

@Amigajay:

Hewitson is kind of a resident troll around here, making a lot of inflammatory comments in the past. And besides, he's a console nut, and I hate consoles. I had one once, couldn't wait to get back to my PC fast enough.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:27   #36
d4rk3lf

Sega have BLAST processing, and it's much faster then SNES or Amiga!

Joke aside, I owned both Amiga and Megadrive 2, and even I was into platformers, I played a little Sonic and Zool, and they were very similar to me in terms of speed and feeling. Now, I didn't bothered with technical stuff, and comparing these 2, it's just a feel of the average user.

I wish some of the Amiga games were on Sega, and vice versa. I with Sega had Ruff'n'Tiumble, and I wish Amiga had Comix Zone, for example.

But as Gordon made point, Amiga 500 is waaay better "all rounder", and it's definitely my favorite 16-bit machine of all times.
Old 15 February 2020, 12:43   #37
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I don't see how the NES has better games than a C64
I could mention a couple of games that fall into that category presumably :
Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Ninja Gaiden / Shadow Warriors
Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Commando
Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Strider
Old 15 February 2020, 13:03   #38
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I just tried Commando again on NES and it is just as flickery as on C64 but with worse sound and colours.
Old 15 February 2020, 13:19   #39
Foebane

I remember watching a video on how bloody awful the NES sound chip was.
Old 15 February 2020, 13:38   #40
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
I was given a mini-NES with over a hundred games and unfortunately not one of them is worth playing.
These kinda threads are crazy, but also very entertaining!