English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 November 2008, 09:23   #1
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Choplifter in M.A.M.E.

I've been using M.A.M.E. for quite a while now. Absolutely love playing the original arcade versions. One problem, though: I've never been able to get Choplifter working. Anybody had any success?
Old 09 November 2008, 10:03   #2
h0ffman

Funny you should mention that, i was playing it in CCS64 the other day and thought I'd have a go a the MAME version and couldnt get it working either.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:32   #3
Brutal DLX
DLX User

I know there's a bootleg version that allegedly works, but I've never had any luck getting it to run. From memory, it gets to the first screen of the game and freezes.

When I first got into MAME, I had a smiliar problem with Xevious. I ended up downloading an earlier version of MAME and it actually worked. I've tried the same thing with Choplifter, but no luck so far.

While I'm quite fond of the C64, I have to say that the C64 version of Choplifter isn't exactly brilliant. I've been so desperate to play the arcade version of the game, I've even resorted to running FreezeSMS and playing the old Sega version.
Old 09 November 2008, 10:54   #4
tomcat666
Retro Freak

The unprotected version works fine in the latest mame (it did for as long as I can remember that it is in mame)...
Old 09 November 2008, 11:38   #5
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Interesting... I probably should have pointed out that I use Extra MAME, which is a GUI wrapper for MAME. I'll try running the unprotected versions in MAME (without using Extra MAME) and see if they work...
Old 09 November 2008, 12:54   #6
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I am using the MameUI 64bit version. You do need to wait for quite some time before the game ends the checksum, but its not more than a minute or so...
Old 09 November 2008, 13:41   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal DLX View Post
I know there's a bootleg version that allegedly works, but I've never had any luck getting it to run. From memory, it gets to the first screen of the game and freezes.

When I first got into MAME, I had a smiliar problem with Xevious. I ended up downloading an earlier version of MAME and it actually worked. I've tried the same thing with Choplifter, but no luck so far.

While I'm quite fond of the C64, I have to say that the C64 version of Choplifter isn't exactly brilliant. I've been so desperate to play the arcade version of the game, I've even resorted to running FreezeSMS and playing the old Sega version.
The best version is reported to be Apple II version. Arcade version is too difficult.

The problem with MAME is that they're integrists when it comes to the ROMS. At some point your ROM is OK, and the next moment it does not work anymore because some hardcoded stuff has been removed and now is in the new romset that 2 or 3 people only own legally but are not able to dump them anyway So you have to juggle between 2 or 3 versions of MAME to play all your games, or try to get them from ROM world or ROM nation (both excellent ROM providers).

OT: The most ridiculous MAME affair is with Marble Madness II : Marble Man.
Only 3 people have working cabinets and the ROMs are nowhere to be found.
A MAME driver has allegedly been written but is not available. Do you think the guy who wrote the driver deleted the ROMs afterwards (because it's very unlikely that one of the owners has the skills to write a MAME driver, even if one of them is particularly good at electronics and could repair his board himself) ?
Such an hypocrisy... and this for a 1991 game noone could sell now...
Old 09 November 2008, 15:53   #8
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
I am using the MameUI 64bit version. You do need to wait for quite some time before the game ends the checksum, but its not more than a minute or so...
I just downloaded MameUI (32 bit version for me) and lo and behold, Choplifter runs without a problem. Awesome.
Old 09 November 2008, 15:56   #9
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
A MAME driver has allegedly been written but is not available. Do you think the guy who wrote the driver deleted the ROMs afterwards (because it's very unlikely that one of the owners has the skills to write a MAME driver, even if one of them is particularly good at electronics and could repair his board himself) ?
Unfortunetly 99% of the people are generally greedy. They figure (and they are probably right) that since there are only 3 cabinets around and no ROM dump exists it will make it worth MUCH more then if the ROM dump was available and everyone would be able to play the game on the computer...
It does suck though Because of greediness we will probably never see or play this game.
Old 09 November 2008, 16:00   #10
Brutal DLX
DLX User

Quote:
The best version is reported to be Apple II version. Arcade version is too difficult.
I'll see how I go with the arcade version. I'd be interested to have another look at the Apple II version anyway. We used to have Apple IIes at my high school back in the mid 1980s (in fact, we had more Apple IIes than pcs).

Quote:
The problem with MAME is that they're integrists when it comes to the ROMS. At some point your ROM is OK, and the next moment it does not work anymore because some hardcoded stuff has been removed and now is in the new romset that 2 or 3 people only own legally but are not able to dump them anyway So you have to juggle between 2 or 3 versions of MAME to play all your games, or try to get them from ROM world or ROM nation (both excellent ROM providers).

Yes, I remember reading about the "integrity" factor with MAME. I suppose for the majority of us end users, the ability to actually play an old game outweighs any ideas of "purity". I find the philosophy quite anal.

As for Marble Madness II, I didn't even know that existed!
Old 09 November 2008, 18:10   #11
adolescent