English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 February 2015, 12:40   #1
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

240p test suite for Amiga?

I've noticed over the past few years a lot of people have been using Artemio's 240p test suite on a lot of consoles but I haven't seen anything similar for the Amiga?

The test itself is very useful for diagnosing video problems especially with the popularity of video scalers, The test is also useful for diagnosing CRT issues.

My question is, are there any similar test suites out there for the Amiga that are as thorough as Artemios?

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

I'm not sure if someone has ported his test suite and it just isn't listed for download but the source code appears to be available for each version.
Old 26 February 2015, 15:42   #2
Jope
-

Didn't Photon make a 288p test program some time back?

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=914581&postcount=49

No-one cares about 240p, we're not in NTSC hell.. ;-)
Old 26 February 2015, 18:26   #3
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I've noticed over the past few years a lot of people have been using Artemio's 240p test suite on a lot of consoles but I haven't seen anything similar for the Amiga?

The test itself is very useful for diagnosing video problems especially with the popularity of video scalers, The test is also useful for diagnosing CRT issues.

My question is, are there any similar test suites out there for the Amiga that are as thorough as Artemios?

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/240p_test_suite

I'm not sure if someone has ported his test suite and it just isn't listed for download but the source code appears to be available for each version.
Most of this pictures is not real test signals but rather pictures that looks like test signals. For real test signals they need to be bandlimited to avoid ringing/transient issues.
If You are interested i can prepare a real test signals for Amiga (of course they will be sometime limited as limited is HW capabilities).
I can produce signals same or better than Tektronix (but not only) reference sources.
Some of those signals are described in detailed way by ITU-R BT.801 but not all. Making such signals is one of my work activities.
Old 26 February 2015, 20:25   #4
Amiga1992

I don't think the program is made to actually test the screen, rather, to test how the particular machine looks with your particular screen, so they don't need to be "test signals" as you describe.

The test is made to check colors, flickering, frequency, ghosting, delay and things like that only.
Old 26 February 2015, 22:29   #5
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The test is made to check colors, flickering, frequency, ghosting, delay and things like that only.
I viewed a test like this for my laptop a year or so back. It was quite interesting, and whilst I learnt a few things about my laptops LCD screen nothing was wrong with it

Something similar for CRT monitors/TV's would be interesting to use.
Old 27 February 2015, 13:31   #6
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I don't think the program is made to actually test the screen, rather, to test how the particular machine looks with your particular screen, so they don't need to be "test signals" as you describe.

With even simple digital scope you can do lot of measurements previously available only for high end lab.