English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 November 2013, 22:39   #1
gjb1985

I want an amiga 1200. what should I get?

I looked around a bit and saw whdload and some videos of it. as I understand it I need flash card and something that makes it plugable inside my amiga 1200. where do I get these items? are they cheap? I have absolute no experience in this. and what amiga 1200 should I be getting?

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computer...reviousPage=lr

this one also seems to have the flashcard of 4 gigabyte. what kind of money would it all cost you think?
Old 08 November 2013, 00:12   #2
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
You can install WHDload onto a normal IDE hard drive (that is what I did). A Blizzard IV 68030/50 is the best accelerator for just playing old games (stick a 32MB 72 pin SIMM in it).
Old 08 November 2013, 00:35   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi!

I offer a Compact flash setup service, as long as you own an original workbench disk set I can do it for you, I have generic 4gb CF cards and IDE adapters/cables in stock, I charge £12 for the CF card complete with the adapter and cable and £10 for the installation + postage charges. Airmail in EU should be £3.50

If I can help just PM me

Or you can follow my YouTube guide and source the bits your self:

[ Show youtube player ]

To be honest you wont find the CF kit much if any cheaper elsewhere as I bought them in bulk from china hence why I can offer this price.

I only offer this price however when my setup service is taken.

Good luck with your project
Old 08 November 2013, 01:05   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nice offer you're giving Fitzsteve
Old 08 November 2013, 01:21   #5
Thorham
Computer Nerd

To gjb1985:

Have you tried on the Dutch board AmigaScene? http://www.amigascene.nl/
Old 08 November 2013, 11:20   #6
gjb1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi!

I offer a Compact flash setup service, as long as you own an original workbench disk set I can do it for you, I have generic 4gb CF cards and IDE adapters/cables in stock, I charge £12 for the CF card complete with the adapter and cable and £10 for the installation + postage charges. Airmail in EU should be £3.50

If I can help just PM me

Or you can follow my YouTube guide and source the bits your self:

[ Show youtube player ]

To be honest you wont find the CF kit much if any cheaper elsewhere as I bought them in bulk from china hence why I can offer this price.

I only offer this price however when my setup service is taken.

Good luck with your project
forgive me my noob knowledge here but does that mean if I buy your flashcard with attachment so I can put it in my amiga 1200(?) that I can play all the games pretty much without going to the hassle of installing all games myself via emu and then in amiga?

so all I need is just an amiga 1200. I also have questions what is the best video output is there vga or only rgb to rgb?
Old 08 November 2013, 11:49   #7
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi!

Indeed I do all in installation work for you, all you need to do is install the hardware into your A1200 and it's ready to go.

Most whdload games need extra memory to run and you will need to register whdload to play some games, the project is totally worth supporting :-)

The best output is rgb, either to an original Amiga monitor or crt TV via scart. Modern lcd tv's should work via scart and composite, again scart is better but they don't look as good as an old crt display.

Steve.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:50   #8
gjb1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
To gjb1985:

Have you tried on the Dutch board AmigaScene? http://www.amigascene.nl/
they don't sell any amiga 1200's as far as I see

Quote:
Hi!

Indeed I do all in installation work for you, all you need to do is install the hardware into your A1200 and it's ready to go.

Most whdload games need extra memory to run and you will need to register whdload to play some games, the project is totally worth supporting :-)

The best output is rgb, either to an original Amiga monitor or crt TV via scart. Modern lcd tv's should work via scart and composite, again scart is better but they don't look as good as an old crt display.

Steve.
ok. cool! so now all I need is to fund an amiga 1200 with at least some extra memory

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/computer...reviousPage=lr

this one is too slow right?

Last edited by prowler; 08 November 2013 at 23:13. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:14   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

You will be able to run some of the Games on a standard A1200, it's not the speed that is the issue it's the amount of ram needed to load up the game, from floppy disks this isn't an issue but whdload needs some extra resources.

The A1200 you linked is fine but you will need a trapdoor ram upgrade, 4mb is sufficient for most Games, 8mb is better (helps to pre-load larger games) and an accelerator with 16mb+ is optimal.

You can fine them used on eBay and Amibay and Amigakit/Vesalia stock the new ACA range of cards:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65087

As a guide, Fast Ram cards will cost between £40-£60, the ACA Cards you can find the prices on Amigakit/Vesalia's sites.

Budget accelerators tend to fetch £70+ and the Blizzards £130-£150, you'll find some eBay sellers chancing theirs at £200+ but they wont sell.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:24   #10
gjb1985

Quote:
You will be able to run some of the Games on a standard A1200, it's not the speed that is the issue it's the amount of ram needed to load up the game, from floppy disks this isn't an issue but whdload needs some extra resources.

The A1200 you linked is fine but you will need a trapdoor ram upgrade, 4mb is sufficient for most Games, 8mb is better (helps to pre-load larger games) and an accelerator with 16mb+ is optimal.

You can fine them used on eBay and Amibay and Amigakit/Vesalia stock the new ACA range of cards:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65087

As a guide, Fast Ram cards will cost between £40-£60, the ACA Cards you can find the prices on Amigakit/Vesalia's sites.

Budget accelerators tend to fetch £70+ and the Blizzards £130-£150, you'll find some eBay sellers chancing theirs at £200+ but they wont sell.
I'm afraid I wouldn't dare install them. I don't know much about moddin g myself and I'm not particularly handy. I will look for a better amiga 1200 when they pop up and let you know. I saw videos of inserting the flash ram into amiga 1200 and that seemed easy enough, correct?

when I buy an amiga 1200 somewhere do I get the workbenches as well? or do I need to buy them seperately and where?
Old 08 November 2013, 12:37   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

It's very easy to install a CF HDD into an A1200, I prepared a set of instructions that I supply with my kits:

http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.u...tion_A1200.pdf

And installing the Ram/Accelerator is easy, you just open the trapdoor and it slides onto the edge connector, some of the larger cards can be tricky so you can open the A1200 to install like this:

[ Show youtube player ] (ideally you should be taking anti static precautions, normally I work on an anti static mat with wrist band (earthed)

The A1200 you liked is a fair price in today's market and would make a good base to upgrade, normally they will be supplied with Workbench Disks but you can also buy a set at Amigakit, Vesalia or eBay. I might even have a spare WB3.0 set I can include.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:53   #12
gjb1985

ok so ideally I would buy the ACA1220 ram expansion? and I'd be good to go? and installing that expansions is truly as simple as in your vid?

I need wb 3.1 not 3.0 true?
Old 08 November 2013, 12:58   #13
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb1985 View Post
ok so ideally I would buy the ACA1220 ram expansion? and I'd be good to go?

I need wb 3.1 not 3.0 true?
The ACA1220 would be perfect however some users find timing issues with some A1200 motherboards so your Motherboard might need fixes done, just bare this in mind since you already said you can't make any mods yourself.

You don't need 3.1 Roms, the ACA1220 has a Maprom fuction where you can load them in at boot or you can just run ACATune to add the extra Ram at startup.

I can set this up as part of my installation
Old 08 November 2013, 13:10   #14
gjb1985

Quote:
The ACA1220 would be perfect however some users find timing issues with some A1200 motherboards so your Motherboard might need fixes done, just bare this in mind since you already said you can't make any mods yourself.

You don't need 3.1 Roms, the ACA1220 has a Maprom fuction where you can load them in at boot or you can just run ACATune to add the extra Ram at startup.

I can set this up as part of my installation
ok I have no idea what the last part means but I'm glad you can help me with this

is it better then to take an 8 mb ram expansion instead of 16? or does that not matter with the motherboard?
Old 08 November 2013, 13:23   #15
crazyc

Being honest the answers depend partly on your budget.

The old Blizzard 1230 MKIV is a great card, I have never needed any timing fixes (someone correct me please if they are needed with Blizzards, but I havent seen anyone else need them) or to install any software (OK I use Blizkick but dont need to)- they just work - but they are quite expensive as Steve said. I have never had any ACA cards so cannot compare.
Have a read of http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=16681 if you havent already.

Installing any of the trapdoor cards for the first time is a little frightening, I will be honest - more frightening than the CF card. Once you get the hang of it its fine. Just make sure the metal shield is not touching the card.

Its all worth it though and Steve will set you up a good system if you go with him. As he said, its worth registering WHDLOAD.
Old 08 November 2013, 13:36   #16
gjb1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
Being honest the answers depend partly on your budget.

The old Blizzard 1230 MKIV is a great card, I have never needed any timing fixes (someone correct me please if they are needed with Blizzards, but I havent seen anyone else need them) or to install any software (OK I use Blizkick but dont need to)- they just work - but they are quite expensive as Steve said. I have never had any ACA cards so cannot compare.
Have a read of http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=16681 if you havent already.

Installing any of the trapdoor cards for the first time is a little frightening, I will be honest - more frightening than the CF card. Once you get the hang of it its fine. Just make sure the metal shield is not touching the card.

Its all worth it though and Steve will set you up a good system if you go with him. As he said, its worth registering WHDLOAD.
I;m basically a person who grew up with amiga 500-1200 as a kid and I want to play the games without switching disks and also want to play the aga games that I also grew up with. so I need an amiga 1200. if I install the ram upgrade will the amiga automatically recognize it?
Old 08 November 2013, 13:51   #17
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb1985 View Post
I;m basically a person who grew up with amiga 500-1200 as a kid and I want to play the games without switching disks and also want to play the aga games that I also grew up with. so I need an amiga 1200. if I install the ram upgrade will the amiga automatically recognize it?
With a Blizzard MkIV then yes I seem to remember its just plug and play. With the ACA cards I do not know as I haven't had one - you see comments about needing ACAtune (software) and sometimes timing fixes - Steve knows all about these cards.

Someone with more knowledge will comment shortly - I have moved on to a Blizzard 1260 which is massive overkill for what you want. But hey what's wrong with overkill? Am currently playing around with C64 games running on an emulator on my a1200.....
Old 08 November 2013, 15:06   #18
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Indeed trapdoor ram cards are plug and play, you will see the extra Ram in workbench, no drivers needed.