English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 July 2007, 00:07   #21
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Of course there should really be a seperate chart for all various genre's as it's always going to be inacurate - for whatever reason somebody thinks could be argued.I would happily agree to Tetris being the best ever game created but it's so simple in design that anyone could argue Pinball being better because it's more advanced.
Old 05 July 2007, 00:17   #22
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I suppose it depends on what your rating the games in a chart for.If it's for overall greatness still to this day or just a very good game at the time.Myself i think a game needs to still hold up well for it to be considered - something like Defender,Pacman,Robotron etc are still fantastics games that should have made a list like this one.

Thinking about it ,it's quite impossible hehe.I love Crackdown for 360 and i'm glad it's in the top100 but there are other games too that deserve to be in front of it.I'm just happy the top ten has what i consider my most fave games ever.
Old 05 July 2007, 00:25   #23
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
So it's surprising that any Amiga games made their list.
No, they just got released on the Wii virtual console, they just got nintengood.

One interesting thing about list in general is the question if you should award the original game or the best game. What does Mario 64 or Legend of zelda do on a list that shares space with Half life 2 or Civ 4 when they choose civ 4 over civ 1? Even more so with the example if quake 3 vs quake, street figther the collection, MGS2 or even worse, pacman, tetris and other only ever original games.

As for the argument that consolegames > then computer (amiga) games the problem is the consistent rating of japanese game style over western. Baldurs gate 2 worse then Final fantasy? (where was baldurs gate btw?) For some fun, check the list for 2d vs 3d games, JRPG platformers?

Last edited by spiff; 05 July 2007 at 00:40.
Old 05 July 2007, 00:32   #24
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Adropac2, you've had some great things to say, you've pretty much summed up how I feel about a lot of these lists.

A game can be a good game, but to make a top 100 it really needs to stand out from the crowd. I know some games appear to be remakes/rehashes but when they offer the absolute best of their predecessors then they are very hard to ignore.

I think Flashback may make my top 100 though, even if it is only in the lower numbers (90s) but there are so many games and so many that leave such a scar...

I love these lists because they really get you thinking.

A lot of the games in EDGE's list I've never played, so unless you've played all of them you really, in all honesty, can't say that an Amiga game deserves to be in the list
Old 05 July 2007, 01:26   #25
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@KG

It is my belief that from this list, it is quite clear that the person compiling it was a complete dribble that was *sponsored* to put games in a specific order... like building blocks, which i am also sure the EDGE reviewer has issues arranging.

so the final *sponsered* top ten

tetris... ...
*shakes head... this was a gameboy fad... sad little people whom wernt cool enough or couldn`t afford an amiga....*

halo... ...
*after playing this on the PC it wouldn`t be in ANYONES lists period!*

half life 2... ...
* some one forgot to mention that this wasn`t a game it was a loading screen... after loading screen.... after loading screen...*

Zelda.... ...yeah... any of them...
*wtf... the reason of this games sucess is simple because it was the only adventure game on the N64.... please!!! it never made a non-nintendo platform release! (unfortunately like tetris)*

Super Mario 64 / World
?! there aint nothing super about these linear games
(the only cool mario game was mario cart!)

infact out of the top 10 list only one deserves tp be there... Final Fantasy 7

as much as I like Res4 (infact i am a zombie horror game whore!) its not as good as res 1,2 or 3 (its better than dead aim though) but it didint feel it offered anytihng new to be honnest. other than another letter in the alphabet to note a new virus... T - G and C i wonder what next.... hmmm A ?
any one here up on thier amino acids?

The only lists that count in the grand book of them all... is simply a retro time line.
Old 05 July 2007, 01:49   #26
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Adropac2, you've had some great things to say, you've pretty much summed up how I feel about a lot of these lists.

A game can be a good game, but to make a top 100 it really needs to stand out from the crowd. I know some games appear to be remakes/rehashes but when they offer the absolute best of their predecessors then they are very hard to ignore.

I think Flashback may make my top 100 though, even if it is only in the lower numbers (90s) but there are so many games and so many that leave such a scar...

I love these lists because they really get you thinking.

A lot of the games in EDGE's list I've never played, so unless you've played all of them you really, in all honesty, can't say that an Amiga game deserves to be in the list
This is about the only forum where you can say something like this without getting a load of abuse fired back. Then this is EAB.Your right about stuff like this making you think loads but it does seem quite impossible at end of it all to make an acurate top100.
Old 05 July 2007, 02:36   #27
StarEye
Zone Friend

Making a numbered list is just plain stupid. How on earth can you say, for example, Zelda OOT is a better game than Sensible Soccer? Where on earth is the connection?

I mean, we laugh when we hear a person say "hey, you should try FIFA" and then another person says "pah, Max Payne is much better!", don't we? Isn't this the same thing?

A numbered list implies that number 67 is worse than all of the 66 games before it. A numbered list of 100 is basically impossible to get accurate. I mean, can you honestly say that number 67 is better than 68?

Now, making a list is entirely possible, but it shouldn't be numbered 'cause it wouldn't even be remotely accurate, and if there are numbers, it should only be used to make the list easier for your eyes to read.

PS! Flashback, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions and Cannon Fodder surely belongs in that list!
Old 05 July 2007, 04:26   #28
laffer
Zone Friend

I think Gabriel Knight should have been on that list. And the sequel too possibly.
Old 05 July 2007, 09:03   #29
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Dune 2 should have been in the list for starting the RTS craze, Age Of Empires 2 being the best RTS I ever played.
Old 05 July 2007, 10:48   #30
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Dune 2 should have been in the list for starting the RTS craze, Age Of Empires 2 being the best RTS I ever played.
A list that awards the original game would be very different from a list that rewards the game that had the most impact. Dune 2 vs Command and conquer. I'd pick CnC any day. Cnc in turn really has nothing against CnC III or civ 4 other then being the game that everyone above 20 played.

Another problem is that the list is still focused on single player, arcade gamers, siblings, or probably todays younger CS / MMORPG generation will be even more annoyed at rating mario 64 higher then Counterstrike. To put it in context, 2p IK+ vs 1p IK+ or today 2p guitar hero. With a friend they easily beat every 1p game on the list for lastability and fun factor.
Old 05 July 2007, 12:58   #31
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
... Another problem is that the list is still focused on single player, arcade gamers, siblings, or probably todays younger CS / MMORPG generation will be even more annoyed at rating mario 64 higher then Counterstrike....

*here here* sir, very well said....
Old 05 July 2007, 17:04   #32
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think it is impossible to compile a definitive list.. So many youngsters haven't or wont play older games and are brainwashed with good gfx/sfx

A better list would be top 100 games per platform etc
Old 05 July 2007, 17:07   #33
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

That's true, games per platform would be good.

I think you'd struggle with the 32X though
Old 05 July 2007, 17:10   #34
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:

ok top 2 in that case ;P
Old 05 July 2007, 17:37   #35
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

Or with the SuperGrafx.

Quote:
Battle Ace (30.11.1989, Hudson Soft)
Madou King Grandzort (06.04.1990, NEC Avenue)
Daimakaimura (27.07.1990, NEC Avenue)
Aldynes (22.02.1991, Hudson Soft)
1941 Counter Attack (23.08.1991, Hudson Soft)
Old 05 July 2007, 17:47   #36
Graham Humphrey

But at least you can get a top five out of it
Old 05 July 2007, 18:32   #37
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Some games like Super Mario 64 ,Zelda OOC ,Zelda Past ,Nights and Radiant Silvergun,Gunstar Heroes dwarf others in the same genre so i guess i would say that's what it should be all about - games that do what they do better than anything else.There are more than enough fantastic games to make a chart like this but actually far less truly astonishing games.I don't honestly believe most people know what makes a game legend.There are various other reasons that can cloud a judgement regarding this.

Thing is i could argue with myself let alone anyone else what this chart should look like.Also nostalgia can get in the way sometimes or even that you just like a game a lot based on it's atmosphere say - i adore Purple Saturn day probably more than most i'd imagine and based on this i could claim that it would be criminal not to be here.Obviously it shouldn't be though.
Old 05 July 2007, 19:09   #38
Graham Humphrey

Mr Nail, meet Mr Head.

Top post.
Old 06 July 2007, 08:32   #39
manicx

This list leaves out some of the most important games ever. I stopped taking them seriously.
Old 06 July 2007, 10:18   #40
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

But important games may not be the best games in their opinion.

Wolfenstein 3D was a very important game, but I hate playing it now because it was never that good in the first place.