English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 May 2006, 22:37   #1
valen

Amiga 1000 in computer history museum, ca

I called into the Computer History Museum, in Mountain View, CA. Pretty much the heart of silicon valley, five miles from where the first Amigas were designed.

One of the first machines you see as you go in the door of the exhibit hall is an A1000, looking lonely and unused, in with all the old Apple, Atari and IBM hardware of the eighties and early nineties. The guys I went to the museum with joined me for beer afterwards, and we discussed stuff. I was shocked to realise none of them had *seen* an amiga before, never mind coded it. Back in Ireland, it seemed every kid my age either had one, or were wondering if they could sell a sibling's internal organs to get one.

It brought a tear to my eye, and I was wondering; what's the going rate for an A1000, or a A4000HD these days ? Are most of them long broken by now ? I'd love to get one & rekindle some memories. UAE just won't cut it.

john

Old 12 May 2006, 22:44   #2
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Check out ebay for some Amigas.

A500 usually sell for around £20
A600 about £30
A1200 about £50-£70
A2000 about £35-£40
A3000 upwards of £100 i think
A4000s can cost upwards of £100 depending on hardware

Not sure if you know about the new power pc Amigas that run at 800mhz? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amigaone
Old 12 May 2006, 22:56   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
About ye Valen! DDNI hailin from Belfast!
Old 12 May 2006, 23:11   #4
kriz

Welcome back! I am posting this on my Amiga 4000

Check ebay for Amigas.. And please ask if questions!
Old 12 May 2006, 23:51   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yeah, well I'm posting this from my A500. (so there )

I got my A1000 with memory expansion for free!

Quote:
I was shocked to realise none of them had *seen* an amiga before, never mind coded it.
Yes, I know what you mean. Of all the people I have met, only one or two actually knows what an Amiga is. The rest just give blank looks like confused sheep and ask if it runs Windows.
Old 13 May 2006, 01:02   #6
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

If you're after an A1000 they dont really tend to fetch a great deal on eBay.
Old 13 May 2006, 01:28   #7
Parsec

That museum sounds like a cool place. Pity the americans never properly appreciated the Amiga though.

I'm not sure machines go for quite as much as the prices above. I got my AT A1200 for only 35 quid and most unexpanded machines go for that or less.

A500's don't seem to fetch much either, 10-15 quid seems to be the going rate.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:13   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

In the UK car boot sales are your best bet, the ammount of parents I se selling a sons old amiga for next to nothing, last A500 I picked up cost me 5 quid with a shed load of disks and a nice Supra Turbo attached to it
I tend to pick up A1200s (usually with acellerators or expansions) for around the 10 quid mark!
Old 13 May 2006, 05:17   #9
demoniac

I have been wondering about that museum as I pass it 5 days a week. One of the Amiga designers, Ron Nicholson, is a occasional docent there. If you are still in MV area, I can probably give you an A1000. Not sure how you would ship it back home.
Old 13 May 2006, 13:34   #10
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

yea you cant hide anything like that in a suitcase, the second it went into the x ray machine you would be hauled away, your bag blown up in a controlled explosion and bam! you're in guantanamo bay!
Althought going down in history as "The Amiga Bomber" could be pretty cool
Old 13 May 2006, 14:14   #11
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
yea you cant hide anything like that in a suitcase, the second it went into the x ray machine you would be hauled away, your bag blown up in a controlled explosion and bam! you're in guantanamo bay!
Yeah, I went to the US with a bunch of handheld RF devices and barcode scanners in my bag (my company installed them) in 2000 and I guess in the x-ray looked suspicious. The security officer asked what was in the bag and I told him while I brought one out to show him. He freaked out and thought I was going to detonate or something then told me never to open a bag - "WE open the bags". I wonder what would have happened to me if this was AFTER 2001?

"We hope you enjoyed your flight on Guantanamo Airlines. Please notice that while the 'Fasten Seatbelts' sign is now off, you will be unable to unfasten them."
Old 13 May 2006, 14:50   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen
I was shocked to realise none of them had *seen* an amiga before, never mind coded it. Back in Ireland, it seemed every kid my age either had one, or were wondering if they could sell a sibling's internal organs to get one.
Yeah in Australia its pretty much the same thing. They all know what a Commodore 64 is, but none know what an Amiga is?

The next step for most people over here was to go to the PC after the C64 and not the Amiga which they had never heard of, but what i dont get is that the Amiga was Commodore's next big machine after the C64, and if you loved the C64 enough you would have known about the Amiga?.. but they never did???.. i dont know how it passed people by even though it was advertised on TV and that it was on display in the games section of most major outlets!.

It was even the major prize for some schools to win on kids games shows ???? How?, Why? did it not get noticed?. everyone else was forking out twice the amount for a CGA piece of crap that was the PC ????..

Very confused about that one
Old 14 May 2006, 09:14   #13
Jope
-

Here in the nordic countries, everyone knows what an Amiga is. :-)

The C-64 and later the Amiga had incredible market penetration here back when either of them mattered for the general populace.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:00   #14
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002
and if you loved the C64 enough you would have known about the Amiga?.. but they never did???.. i dont know how it passed people by even though it was advertised on TV and that it was on display in the games section of most major outlets!.
Commodore's marketing was horrible. Yeah, they advertised, but they didn't advertise enough. For example, the only magazine ads I saw for Amigas were in Amiga magazines, which kind of defeats the purpose. Sure, the 500 got some TV advertising, but not enough, as I don't ever remember actually seeing an Amiga commercial on TV in my area.
Old 17 May 2006, 07:48   #15
adolescent