English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 August 2008, 22:23   #61
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Well, when I select any of the quickstarts nothing seems to happen... not sure why.
Old 11 August 2008, 22:29   #62
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
Well, when I select any of the quickstarts nothing seems to happen... not sure why.
Hi Heavy Stylus,

might be a dumb question, but you do press the 'Set configuration' button in the lower left afterwards?
Old 11 August 2008, 22:36   #63
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Hmmm... SPTI and uaescsi.device are both greyed out... Could someone post me a working CD32 config file please?
Hmm... You sure you don't have some ancient version installed?
Old 11 August 2008, 22:56   #64
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
I know what your doing, as it does nothing, . Might be something toni could look into?

You have to select a different quickstart config, then click back to CD32, it will then pickup the changes, .
Old 12 August 2008, 00:41   #65
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Things that you should know :

1) Don't create a CD with AGA WHDLoad Games because it can't be run on a standard CD32.....( needs more than 2Mo to run ).Every tryes where bad, excepts modifying slave or original files....

2 ) My startup using RAD device is only needed when u use a Cd menu, so don't tryto modify that thing, that's unneeded

3) The best way is to do a simple startup with WHLOAD files like this :
CD CD32:GAMES/ALIENIII
CD32:C/WHDLOAD ALIENIII.SLAVE PRELOAD
For example with Alien3 whdload games, where CD32 is the volume name

4) About WinUAE, some games seems to work on it, but not on a real CD32, because WinUAE don't care about the CD-Rom driver Chip memory consumption.......

5) Using ISOCD from the Develloper KIT is the best things to have good ISOS

6) If you use CD32.tm, you just have AGA enabled at startup and mouse disabled....Use CDTV.TM instead ans do a SETPATCH

Hope that it helps......

From WinUAE , it would be easier to run AGA games indeed.....

Before starting WinUAE, mount your iso file with Daemon Tools Lite( download it if you haven't it) then run the WinUAE ans select CD32 config and press run , it works for me....

Don't hesitate to ask me about this because i can surely answer.....

Last edited by Rochabian; 12 August 2008 at 01:04.
Old 12 August 2008, 11:47   #66
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Thanks Rochabian, got a few questions for you in response to above:

1) No AGA games? What about PD/Shareware games that use the enhanced GFX chipset, such as Deluxe Galaga, Monsters of Terror, etc.? Surely I can still get these to work - if the WHDLoad version doesn't load then can't I just copy over the contents from an auto-booting floppy and create an ISO in ISOCD with that?

2) So using RAD doesn't save any additional memory then?

3) I'm using WHDLoadCD32 now (for legal reasons) - I'm pretty sure I've got this all optimized. However, is there a basic guide as to what the extra arguments mean? Preload (which I suspect loads the game to RAM before executing), etc.? I've not found the docs particularly helpful in that respect

4) This is exactly what I suspected! Thanks for the confirmation. Anyone know how much memory this uses?

5) I'm doing this already.

6) I've been using CDTV.TM, and using SETPATCH QUIET for games with AGA enhanced graphics.

Thanks for all your help! As stated above, when I've finally got the hang of this my intention is create a 'dummies-guide' so no-one gets stuck with this issue again

*Finally* - and I'm only asking because I lack a CD32 myself at the moment (returned to seller for an exchange), can someone *please* verify if the two ISO's above (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=443374&postcount=45) or (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=443606&postcount=47) actually work on a real, 2MB CD32? It will cost a couple of CDr's, but would really really be appreciated. If they don't, are they fixable?
Old 12 August 2008, 20:20   #67
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

RAD device is just needed if you loads some other progs before launching a game (for example menu), and then reboot using rad device
For one CD per game, you don't need it

You're right about AGA Games, with some reassign for multi disk games, some will work.

I don't think there are option for WHDLOADCD32 to preserve memory because this tool was already optimized for this use
Old 14 August 2008, 00:49   #68
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

I don't have tested your isos on my CD32 but it surely works because there is no AGA games, run them on WINUAE, it should work

But they are whdloaded
the best startup for me is for a standalone game on a CD:

cd "volumename": "name of the dir game"
"volumename":c/WHDLoadCD32 "nameofthegame.slave" preload

with WDLoadcd32 in c dir of course

that's all

Edit : An example from my compilation with alien3 whdloaded and volume name set to "CD32" :

CD CD32:GAMES/ALIENIII
CD32:C/WHDLOAD ALIENIII.SLAVE PRELOAD

PM me if you want, because i've spend a lot of time doing my last compilation and it's a great pleasure to share with others

If you have some CD32 compilations, try to look inside the *.start on it, you will learn some things....

Last edited by Rochabian; 14 August 2008 at 01:03.
Old 14 August 2008, 17:50   #69
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochabian View Post
But they are whdloaded
the best startup for me is for a standalone game on a CD:

cd "volumename": "name of the dir game"
"volumename":c/WHDLoadCD32 "nameofthegame.slave" preload
this is not optimal because WHDLoad will also PreLoad the slave which is unnecessary (except the slave itself defines a subdirectory)
I recommend to always use the Data option and put the game files in a directory without obsolete stuff (like slave, readme, *.info)
e.g.:

c:WHDLoadCD32 :slaves/nameofthegame.slave data=:data/nameofthegame PreLoad
Old 14 August 2008, 19:08   #70
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

WHDLoadCD32 :slaves/nameofthegame.slave data=:data/nameofthegame PreLoad

This is exactly what I am doing.

Sometimes I have to leave off the Preload bit though (if the game uses more than one disk, for example).