English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 January 2017, 05:44   #541
turrican9

Happy new year!

So here is the error message I get when typing 'HXCFEMNG.exe e:' (e: is my Gotek USB drive) from Command prompt in Windows 7 as admin. The program is in C:\HXC

Old 01 January 2017, 19:09   #542
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Happy new year!

So here is the error message I get when typing 'HXCFEMNG.exe e:' (e: is my Gotek USB drive) from Command prompt in Windows 7 as admin. The program is in C:\HXC
Interesting.
file managers updated :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...AlphaTrial.zip
Do you have the same error message or another one ?

Can you make a raw dump of your usb stick as-it-is and send me it ? (i can provide an ftp access).
Old 03 January 2017, 11:55   #543
Sorgelig

Jeff_HxC2001,
is there a reason why HFE v2 is not supported in your Gotek FW?
Or may be you've silently updated HFE and we don't know?
Old 06 January 2017, 17:46   #544
turrican9

So I am considering a dos/win95/98 retro gaming PC. So I heard these Goteks with HXC also has a PC firmware?
Old 06 January 2017, 18:03   #545
demolition
Unregistered User

It's the same firmware. The current revision supports HFE + ADF + ST + IMG and IMG is used for native PC floppy images. I am using a HxC Gotek in my retro PC and it works as it should.
Old 06 January 2017, 18:08   #546
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It's the same firmware. The current revision supports HFE + ADF + ST + IMG and IMG is used for native PC floppy images. I am using a HxC Gotek in my retro PC and it works as it should.
Nice to know. How does it work in a PC? Can you still boot into the image selector and stuff?
Old 06 January 2017, 18:11   #547
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Nice to know. How does it work in a PC? Can you still boot into the image selector and stuff?
There is no AUTOBOOT software made for PC, only Amstrad, Atari and Amiga. You have to either attach an LCD and browse the files that way or give all the images numbers and use indexed mode (which is what I do).
Old 11 January 2017, 13:35   #548
appiah4

Question re. using the Gotek HxC as df1:

Cortex firmware uses a SELECTOR image with a SELECTOR software that autoloads when booted in order to assign disks. This selector software can be invoked by booting into an AMIGA DOS Shell and running SELECTOR from df1: Therefore you do not need the GOTEK to be df0: to assign disks.

With the HxC, you copy the autoload config to the USB drive along with the AUTOBOOT.HFE.. This is all I know. My question is, can the AUTOBOOT.HFE and the executable within be invoked from an AMIGA DOS Shell in the same manner? Can the unit initialize like Cortex and assign disks in df1: configuration? Or does AUTOBOOT.HFE be the boot disk, making the unit only usable in Indexed mode in df1: configuration?
Old 11 January 2017, 14:49   #549
idrougge

I think HxC Selector only works in df0:.
Old 11 January 2017, 18:53   #550
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If thats indeed the case I hope the dev kindly notes this as a feature request.. I would buy more licenses for sure.
Old 11 January 2017, 22:07   #551
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post

Not true, it'll work on any drive designation.
Old 12 January 2017, 01:39   #552
idrougge

I stand corrected.
Old 12 January 2017, 15:36   #553
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
Question re. using the Gotek HxC as df1:

Cortex firmware uses a SELECTOR image with a SELECTOR software that autoloads when booted in order to assign disks. This selector software can be invoked by booting into an AMIGA DOS Shell and running SELECTOR from df1: Therefore you do not need the GOTEK to be df0: to assign disks.

With the HxC, you copy the autoload config to the USB drive along with the AUTOBOOT.HFE.. This is all I know. My question is, can the AUTOBOOT.HFE and the executable within be invoked from an AMIGA DOS Shell in the same manner? Can the unit initialize like Cortex and assign disks in df1: configuration? Or does AUTOBOOT.HFE be the boot disk, making the unit only usable in Indexed mode in df1: configuration?
I can confirm that the HxC Gotek does indeed run its selector from df1: when you boot from a workbench floppy in df0: and it works flawlessly. The firmware and supporting software is top notch and WELL worth your 10 EUR. Congratulations to JFDN..

Last edited by appiah4; 12 January 2017 at 17:11.
Old 12 January 2017, 17:25   #554
jediknight

i know this sounds crazy but wouldnt it be great if it supported hardrive files , i dont know if it does but if not it would be cool to boot a HDF file , like a usb hardrive lol , you can call me crazy but my amiga has no hardrive in it so would be good for me no matter how slow lol
Old 12 January 2017, 17:33   #555
UberFreak

I know it was attempted on the Atari ST (with a special driver) but it was too slow and buggy to be useful.
The floppy drive bus is very slow, so at best you'd get an HDD with the speed of a floppy
Old 12 January 2017, 20:19   #556
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
i know this sounds crazy but wouldnt it be great if it supported hardrive files , i dont know if it does but if not it would be cool to boot a HDF file , like a usb hardrive lol , you can call me crazy but my amiga has no hardrive in it so would be good for me no matter how slow lol
It doesn't support HDF files (the problem being that the image files would have to conform to some kind of floppy geometry I presume), but even if it did the transfer speed would be at floppy read/write max so it would be very, very slow. I think what you want is a parallel port to usb for reading usb sticks, and someone is indeed making these, but they don't work like hard disks and you can't mount hdf's from them I think..
Old 13 January 2017, 00:13   #557
jediknight

yes i need something for my 2000 maybe a kipper2k memory card with cf anyone got one is it good what speeds does the cf read at?
Old 13 January 2017, 00:19   #558
demolition
Unregistered User

Depends on the CPU. With a plain 68k, I think you get around 700kB/s.
Old 14 January 2017, 21:19   #559
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Interesting.
file managers updated :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...AlphaTrial.zip
Do you have the same error message or another one ?

Can you make a raw dump of your usb stick as-it-is and send me it ? (i can provide an ftp access).
For clarification's sake, is this update and autoloader software newer than the ones here: http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...tor/index.html

I'm confused because the changelog on those downloads is way from May 2016, but it has some of the stuff discussed in December like Auto-Eject on boot option in the manager.. Is 3.0.2.8a the latest firmware?
Old 16 January 2017, 23:55   #560
turrican9

so will the Gotek with HXC firmware work with this software for PC use? Or will it only work with the stock firmware? That software looks quite handy for retro PC use as demonstrated in this video [ Show youtube player ]