English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 January 2017, 23:58   #561
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
so will the Gotek with HXC firmware work with this software for PC use?
That software only works with the standard Gotek software. I tried it and it is a mess.
Old 17 January 2017, 00:04   #562
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
That software only works with the standard Gotek software. I tried it and it is a mess.
According to the video the software I linked to was rather good. While the software that came with his gotek was really bad.

Anyway, when using a Gotek with HXC and PC floppy images I now know that you have to use indexed mode and number the files. But can you edit the images in any way? Like putting files on the images on your modern PC? I mean like showed in the video from my last post. I would assume there are other software to edit the floppy image files anyway, before you use them on your retro PC. Then I guess you have to manually give the image files numbers, like described for HXC indexed mode?
Old 17 January 2017, 00:14   #563
demolition
Unregistered User

It's a little cumbersome since indexed mode only works with HFE images. It would be easier if it could use IMG files directly.

Generally, indexed mode could use an update, like being able to have a list file on the drive so you could assign a name for each image instead of just a number. I tried putting a .txt on there with the names vs. numbers, but then it won't load anything at all. So some tool which could manage the names of all the images in indexed mode as well as easily change the order.
Old 17 January 2017, 00:21   #564
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It's a little cumbersome since indexed mode only works with HFE images. It would be easier if it could use IMG files directly.

Generally, indexed mode could use an update, like being able to have a list file on the drive so you could assign a name for each image instead of just a number. I tried putting a .txt on there with the names vs. numbers, but then it won't load anything at all. So some tool which could manage the names of all the images in indexed mode as well as easily change the order.
Ahh.. So you have to convert them to HFE aswell. Oh, well. At least it will work with PC floppy images even though it seems kind of cumbersome. I am tempted to buy myself a "clean" gotek with the original firmware for my upcoming retro PC build. I already have 5 Goteks with the HXC firmware but I don't think it's possible to go back to the original PC firmware.

Edit: With that said, on said retro PC which I'm planning on running MS DOS 6.22 and windows 95 with and IDE to compact flash card adapter for hard drive which will be mounted in a PCI slot tray in the back of the case it will be easy to access the CF card and plug it into a CF card to USB adapter for transfering files from modern PC. Also, as for PC floppy images I cannot see myself using more than maybe 10 + images. Some driver disks and maybe a few other images. Like MSDOS 6.22 when I install that. So one cannot compare the need VS an Amiga 500 with several thousands of floppy games and demos. A PC will not have the same floppy image usage.

Last edited by turrican9; 17 January 2017 at 00:32.
Old 17 January 2017, 00:32   #565
dJOS

Quote:
Ahh.. So you have to convert them to HFE aswell. Oh, well. At least it will work with PC floppy images even though it seems kind of cumbersome. I am tempted to buy myself a "clean" gotek with the original firmware for my upcoming retro PC build. I already have 5 Goteks with the HXC firmware but I don't think it's possible to go back to the original PC firmware.

Edit: With that said, on said retro PC which I'm planning on running MS DOS 6.22 and windows 95 with and IDE to compact flash card adapter for hard drive which will be mounted in a PCI slot tray in the case it will be easy to access the CF card and plug it into a CF card to USB adapter for transfering files from modern PC. Also, as for PC floppy images I cannot see myself using more than maybe 10 + images. Some driver disks and maybe a few other images. Like MSDOS 6.22 when I install that.
I've found IMG images convert quite well to HFE but IMZ images can be a bit flakey - I'm using a KCS Power PC board in one of my a500's with a RevC HxC Board and the combo works well.
Old 17 January 2017, 00:38   #566
dJOS

Feature Request*:

*It's a big one, so strap in....

I'd really love for a complete UI overhaul, I was mucking about with XTree Gold recently and it occurred to me that an 80 Column split screen view with SD Card on the Left and Floppy Queue on the Right (or even split top to bottom for improved file name visibility).

Across the Top or Bottom of the screen you could map out all the Function Keys for the various commands/functions and you could use the direction keys for navigating each panel with TAB to switch between panels.

IMHO it would make for a much more user friendly and simpler to manage HxC system.

Here's what XTG can look like so you get the idea:

and an older version:

Old 18 January 2017, 21:57   #567
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
According to the video the software I linked to was rather good. While the software that came with his gotek was really bad.

Anyway, when using a Gotek with HXC and PC floppy images I now know that you have to use indexed mode and number the files. But can you edit the images in any way? Like putting files on the images on your modern PC? I mean like showed in the video from my last post. I would assume there are other software to edit the floppy image files anyway, before you use them on your retro PC. Then I guess you have to manually give the image files numbers, like described for HXC indexed mode?
Use the DOSDiskBrowser :

[ Show youtube player ]

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...iskBrowser.zip
Old 21 January 2017, 17:57   #568
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
Use the DOSDiskBrowser :

[ Show youtube player ]

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...iskBrowser.zip
Using your dos disk browser now. Working really well I must say. Testing with trying to get some games copied over to HFE images and then transfer them via Gotek drive over to an old 486 PC.
Old 24 January 2017, 22:55   #569
DerSheriff

Just a little question for you all:

When I flashed my gotek to Cortex via the ST FlashLoader Tool I needed to set the baud rate to 19200 or 38400 if I remember well. Otherwise, with higher rates, it failed detecting the device.

Is it possible to set the baud rate on HxC flash tool?

In case flashing goes wrong, what will happen?

Thank you
Old 25 January 2017, 06:23   #570
appiah4

The only disk copier I can use to rip floppies to adf seems to be xcopy tng 94. Xcopy 3.1 through 7.3 all give various erroes (read errors, write verify errors, soft reset, guru etc.) Is this normal
Old 30 January 2017, 12:19   #571
ch40s_engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerSheriff View Post
Just a little question for you all:

When I flashed my gotek to Cortex via the ST FlashLoader Tool I needed to set the baud rate to 19200 or 38400 if I remember well. Otherwise, with higher rates, it failed detecting the device.

Is it possible to set the baud rate on HxC flash tool?

In case flashing goes wrong, what will happen?

Thank you
Nothing will happen if the flashing goes wrong (you won't lose the license). i found Jeffs program to be more straightforward and i managed to get a connection much quicker eventhough you can't configure it that much.
Old 01 February 2017, 21:48   #572
attle

Having a bit of trouble with hxc + gotek.. I flashed with firmware 3.0.8.2a, and my A2000 boots into the menu software. But then it says something like:

Quote:
Error: Access HXCSDFE.CFG file failed! [1]
I tried also tried "Autoboot_mode" config files but same issue.
Old 03 February 2017, 04:11   #573
DerSheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
Nothing will happen if the flashing goes wrong (you won't lose the license). i found Jeffs program to be more straightforward and i managed to get a connection much quicker eventhough you can't configure it that much.
Thank you!
That thing makes me more relaxed about a possible wrong flash.
However, do you know if baud rate selection is available? I can flash the gotek only with low baud rates, and not with the default one (115200 if I recall correctly).

Then, another question for Jeff, or everybody else who knows:
Is there a way to connect a speaker (maybe via i2c pins, or something else) that is not the classic way of soldering the BC transistor to the step signal in the back of the gotek? I ask this because, doing this way, using the gotek externally, when I read a floppy from internal drive the gotek will sound too.
If not, no problem at all. I'll just undo that mod and revert it to silent mode Surely it's not an essential feature.

Sorry if I can't explain things very well, unfortunately I'm not native english speaker.

Next week I'll proceed contacting Jeff for flashing my gotek.

DerSheriff
Old 03 February 2017, 09:48   #574
idrougge

You can't choose baud rates.
Old 13 February 2017, 02:47   #575
DerSheriff

Thank you "idrougge". I'll try.
Jeff, how to contact you for upgrading my gotek to HxC firmware?

Thank you,
DerSheriff
Old 13 February 2017, 03:23   #576
thumptech

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by attle View Post
Having a bit of trouble with hxc + gotek.. I flashed with firmware 3.0.8.2a, and my A2000 boots into the menu software. But then it says something like:

I tried also tried "Autoboot_mode" config files but same issue.
I am also having the same problem. Have tried different USB keys, copying file immediately after format, downgrading firmware etc.'

I am using a A4000D with the CR motherboard. Gotek as DF0 and original HD floppy as DF1 after fixing the twist in the cable.

Old 13 February 2017, 15:02   #577
DerSheriff

Nevermind, I found that now on the HxC website you can buy the license directly. Bought 10 minutes ago
Old 08 March 2017, 22:32   #578
Jeff_HxC2001

Hi,

For the SD HxC and Gotek HxC owners :

New version of the manager : Speed up the sub-directory change/browsing.

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...AlphaTrial.zip

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...or_Manager.zip
Old 19 April 2017, 03:27   #579
boratintheuk

I was wondering how some of you built the serial cable or if you bought it finished. Just curious before I spend some money on a Gotek.

Old 19 April 2017, 03:43   #580
UberFreak

No need to build, it costs less than 2USD from China, including shipping.
Got my Gotek with USB/Serial cable for 22USD, shipped.