English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 September 2016, 14:35   #1
IvanEBC

Picasso96 on WinUAE AND real Amiga

Hi Guys

I have a CF card i move between my Real Amiga 4000/040 and WinUAE - depending on the day what i'm doing, i use the same image (on CF) and move from one device to another.
I recently saw Picasso96 running on WinUAE and thought - why the hell am i NOT using THAT! Awesome.

Problem is, my 4000 is stock on a 1084S, no extra graphics card, So question is this.

If i install this onto my CF card for winuae but them move that card to my real Amiga, will it simply fail to load workbench or... will it load and screw it up, or will it realise i don't have uaegfx and boot as per normal?

Thank you.
Old 04 September 2016, 15:27   #2
Jope
-

It should boot into a 4 colour workbench in this case, you can then adjust it with the screenmode preferences editor.
Old 04 September 2016, 15:36   #3
IvanEBC

Cause i move back and forth between them, i guess i'll need to adjust it back in winuae and back again in the Amiga ... sounds like a part time job.

Here's a tricky question.

Could i use the startup-sequence to maybe check for hardware or something.

You know like ...
IF exists = WINUAE
then use uaegfx config
otherwise use standard A4000 config.

I realise this is stupidly written, but you see what i'm trying to do here, just wondered if commands existed that could do this job.
Old 04 September 2016, 15:44   #4
thomas

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...CgxScrMode.lha

Select your A4000 mode in Prefs/ScreenMode and your P96 mode with SetCgxScrMode in Startup-Sequence just before IPrefs. Then the former is used if no gfx card is present and the latter if one is there.
Old 05 September 2016, 01:32   #5
IvanEBC

Off to work now but thank you Thomas, it doesn't yet make sense but hopefully will when i see it .. thank you.
Old 05 September 2016, 09:31   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

I used it on my A4000 a Boot Menu with the ability to choose the Startup-sequence I wanted, in this way you can have a startup, GFX, PAL, directly start games and many other options, see screenshots.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 31 May 2017 at 12:21.
Old 05 September 2016, 15:11   #7
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...CgxScrMode.lha

Select your A4000 mode in Prefs/ScreenMode and your P96 mode with SetCgxScrMode in Startup-Sequence just before IPrefs. Then the former is used if no gfx card is present and the latter if one is there.
Almost there, but not quite.

I setup picasso96 in winuae, looks good, got the setgfxscrmode 640 480 16 one line before iprefs as per your instructions and my best effort german translating

Boot winuae over and over and it worked flawless.
Image my cf card and put into A4000 and it almost works.

I get a startup error that Picasso96 can't find the uaegfx context or some such thing. But it continues to load so i'm thinking, this is good, but upon reaching workbench, i get an error that intuition is attempting to reset workbench. Now i know this error so i usually need to shutdown my iconified upon startup dopus and the screen resets, but its in 4 colours, if i check screenprefs, it has the correct settings already and i just have to click use and it looks fine, but doesn't survive the reboot.

I reckon if i killed off dopus so the screen "could" reset, it might solve itself though not what i'm quite wanting to do since it's the every single day tool.
Old 05 September 2016, 15:26   #8
IvanEBC

EXTRA: Yeah, killed dopus startup and the error about reset the workbench still appears but disappears by itself after 3-4 seconds, and the screenmode is coming up and staying where i set it... but no dopus -i upon startup.....

Have i done something wrong or just some side effect of this process and nothing i can do, i guess i can "leave out" the dopus icon and i can live with that, but not my 100% preference.

Thanks again to these awesome forum members for help, i didn't think this was even possible....
Old 05 September 2016, 20:16   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

I am not at home right now so I cant show you the exact setup, but for basicly the same purpose I use showboards (boardslib) and within the startup script I test for the UAE hardware manufacturer ID.

In my case I use this for running my DraCo HDD on WinUAE with P96 and the correct AHI settings when it detects it is booting from UAE and if not it just uses the usual DraCo + CGX and Toccata settings.
Old 06 September 2016, 06:13   #10
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
I am not at home right now so I cant show you the exact setup, but for basicly the same purpose I use showboards (boardslib) and within the startup script I test for the UAE hardware manufacturer ID.

In my case I use this for running my DraCo HDD on WinUAE with P96 and the correct AHI settings when it detects it is booting from UAE and if not it just uses the usual DraCo + CGX and Toccata settings.
Lots of new words in there for me, sounds like weeks of research.

The Dopus not auto booting i'm solving by setting up a dock, handy for other frequently used programs, i won't get you to waste your time .. even though it does sound intriguing.

Thank you.