English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What console was closest to the Amiga? (Not counting CD32)
Genesis/MegaDrive 25 48.08%
SNES 5 9.62%
NEC Turbo Grafix/PC Engine 6 11.54%
Atari 5200 1 1.92%
Nintendo 64 0 0%
Atari Jaguar 2 3.85%
NES 0 0%
Pong 2 3.85%
Atari Lynx 10 19.23%
3DO 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 August 2008, 14:06   #41
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Poll added
Old 15 April 2009, 19:35   #42
Sensi
Unregistered User

Lets bring this thread and poll back to life.

Mega Drive/Genesis and not only for similarities but mainly for total stupidity of Amiga and Sega management.

Last edited by Sensi; 15 April 2009 at 22:48.
Old 15 April 2009, 22:28   #43
Predabot

I would easily say the Sega Genesis, but since that's the most obvious one that people are going to pick, I would say the PC Engine/Turbographx16 was the most similar console.

A lot of people have chosen the Lynx I see, eh? That console's a complete mystery to me, but if it's anything like the Jaguar, I'm sadly going to have to assume it's a piece of s**t. Sorry lads. But the Jaguar-review doesn't lie:

part1
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46723.html
part2
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47108.html

Truly an awful, awful console. A rushed-out piece of garbage that is simply mind-boggling. How on Earth could Atari fall so hard from grace?
Old 15 April 2009, 22:40   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Woah! Both Lynx and Jaguar were some nice consoles lad Well they lacked the games (and the Jaguar was over-advertised with '64 bit'), but some games are true classics : Tempest 2000, Alien vs. Predator and Defender 2000. What the Dreamcast is to some others, the Jaguar is for me, so better not rant about it
Old 15 April 2009, 22:43   #45
Amiga1992

The Atari Lynx is the portable Amiga of the late 80s.
Devkit made on Amiga, games looking and feeling like Amiga... no question about that, has to be the console that made me think of the Amiga the most.
Old 19 April 2009, 08:22   #46
pce_gamer

The only thing that the Megadrive and Neo Geo have in common with the Amiga is the processor. It ends there. And the Neo Geo video hardware is nothing like the Amiga or Megadrive (or any other console for that matter).
Old 19 April 2009, 12:45   #47
hitchhikr

Well, Megadrive's pads were compatible with the Amiga
Old 19 April 2009, 18:20   #48
Predabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Woah! Both Lynx and Jaguar were some nice consoles lad Well they lacked the games (and the Jaguar was over-advertised with '64 bit'), but some games are true classics : Tempest 2000, Alien vs. Predator and Defender 2000. What the Dreamcast is to some others, the Jaguar is for me, so better not rant about it
Really?? I'm a bit perplexed to meet a Jag-fan, I must say. But surely you can at least agree that the real 3D titles on the console where of a substandard quality? That 3D flying shooter "the nerd" tried is very daftly coded, it would seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Devkit made on Amiga, games looking and feeling like Amiga... no question about that, has to be the console that made me think of the Amiga the most.
Hmm, really? I'm surprised so few has voted for the 3DO myself. Since it was mentioned in that interview with one of the Amiga-creators, that when he worked on 3DO he approached it like the Amiga, but more complete. By adding things that they didn't have time or reason to, back in the Amiga days. ( like Memory protection.)

Last edited by Predabot; 19 April 2009 at 19:03.
Old 19 April 2009, 18:40   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Really?? I'm a bit perplexed to meet a Jag-fan, I must say. But surely you can at least agree that the real 3D titles on the console where of a substandard quality? That 3D flying shooter "the nerd" tried is very daftly coded, it would seem.
We talking about 1993/94 here and certainly the non-textured polygons aren't pretty, but it was quite nice to play 'real 3D' games at that time. On the other hand most of the 3D games sucked, because they weren't really interesting and quite boring to play The Jaguar was a dead born console and the (sort of) 1:1 Amiga conversions didn't help either. Still the hardware wasn't bad and some of the games are really worth playing
Old 19 April 2009, 22:16   #50
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

What 1:1 conversions were there?
Old 19 April 2009, 22:27   #51
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
What 1:1 conversions were there?
Cannon Fodder
Flashback
Pinball Fantasies
Sensible Soccer
Soccer Kid
Worms
Zool 2

and some others. Most of them were also available on 16 bit consoles, that's why I said 'sort of'.
Old 20 April 2009, 02:03   #52
hitchhikr

I don't know for the others games you mention but the Jaguar version of Zool 2 isn't a 1:1 conversion from the Amiga, it's more like a conversion from the PC version (with 256 colors gfx).
Old 20 April 2009, 08:53   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, you're right the '1:1' remark isn't accurate. I just wanted to say that some games on the Jaguar already were 2-3 years old and weren't modified in any major way. That didn't helped to sell the console
Old 20 April 2009, 10:00   #54
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pce_gamer View Post
The only thing that the Megadrive and Neo Geo have in common with the Amiga is the processor. It ends there. And the Neo Geo video hardware is nothing like the Amiga or Megadrive (or any other console for that matter).
Please develop your idea.

What i know is that the Neogeo 68000 NEVER touch the GFX tiles in any way. It's uses to make 68K ASM code 'hardware ports calls' so that the video chip 'moves' the wanted tiles !

a 68000 @ 12,5 mhz alone would never be able to move such GFX as in a game like metal slug for example. Everything is done in hardware.
Old 20 April 2009, 18:47   #55
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Neo Geo uses sprites to simulate a tilemap backround layer. I guess the machine loads pre-rendered graphics into the ram, the CPU looks indeed not fast enough to render games like Metal Slug in realtime.
Old 20 April 2009, 20:12   #56
hitchhikr

In consoles the CPUs is (or was) usually there to control games logic, communication with internal chipset and players input, the rest was entirely handled by specialized chipsets for speed considerations (and production cost), the neo geo had a graphic chip able to handle 380 sprites of 16x512 pixels & 3 playfields.

On computers like the Amiga (and even more on the Atari ST) the role of the CPU is more preponderant as the architectures of the machines are more complex by nature (since there's much more possibilities, more peripherals to control, etc.) so it was also used to clear screen or to calculate positions of bobs on screens and so on, all eating precious cpu cycles.

Also most consoles (and older computers like the MSX) had tiles based graphic chips meaning that once the tiles were loaded inside the graphic memory of the chip any could be displayed at will on the screen with usually something like 1 CPU instruction & the specialized hardware did the rest, it was fast for games as they were created back then but not really good to display pictures, complete set of OS windows, applications, etc.

So basically most of these consoles are fundamentally different from the Amiga in their approach because their primary purpose was different.
Old 20 April 2009, 23:13   #57
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Truly an awful, awful console. A rushed-out piece of garbage that is simply mind-boggling. How on Earth could Atari fall so hard from grace?
I would say only one thing. I think that part 2 of part 2 review is a pice of s****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Don't forget our beloved Raiden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yes, developed by RJ Mical himself. 4096 colors, 4 channel pcm music, about 1632 onscreen colors (16 per scan line, a kinda of HAM ), custom chips.

Its the closest to Amiga for good.
Old 21 April 2009, 21:48   #58
pce_gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Please develop your idea.

Huh? What idea?