English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 August 2018, 19:50   #2501
PeterK

Thanks for the link to that tool. However, it doesn't depend on any ENVARC: or ENV: vars. It works without them. I've already disassembled the filetypes.module and may examine that on one of the next days, but not now.
Old 12 August 2018, 20:23   #2502
daxb

I hope you will have some fun with filetype.module.
Old 13 August 2018, 09:24   #2503
kolla
Banned

I installed the TC variant on my MIST, and it's great to be able to handle true colour icons even when not using RTG. Any good reason to use the 68020 version instead of the TC? Speed perhaps? I did not notice any speed drops by using TC
Old 13 August 2018, 10:25   #2504
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.493 (TC020)

Made another work around for broken OS4 ARGB icons from AfA_OS. This time the highest byte of the zlib-image size was trashed.

+++ Found the magic that lets the Icon Info window in DOpus4 suddenly display icons in TrueColor. What a surprise, it was hidden in my library, it's my gfx-patch which was only used for WB 3.0/3.1 and DOpus5 and is now enabled by TC020, too. Just one remark: the alpha channel may not look optimal in DOpus4, because it displays the icons with frames and in that case my gfx-patch clears the background simply by drawing a normal planar image first and then overwrites it with the TrueColor image. Thus, some parts of the planar image are still shining through the alpha blending at the border.

@kolla
Yes, on some systems TC020 might be a little bit slower, and it consumes more memory, of course, although the TrueColor images are stored compressed in memory, but it still means 5-20 kB more for each icon. And it's difficult now to convert them into the OS 3.5 format, which is always several times faster. So, the 68020 version is still the better choice for most older Amigas. TC020 is only for high-end systems and emulators with a fast CPU and lots of memory.
Old 13 August 2018, 11:08   #2505
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter, there is a way on AFA-OS to force the use of your icon.library with Dopus4?
Old 13 August 2018, 11:23   #2506
PeterK

No, I don't think that it's possible to use my library only for a certain program. You can only disable icon_lib.exe globally by removing it from AfA_OS_LIBS: or renaming it.
Old 13 August 2018, 11:26   #2507
AMIGASYSTEM

After a test and found the solution, it seems that on the AFA-OS the two icon.library can cohabit, now Dopus4 shows any PNG / OS4 icon in perfect way, see screenshot

In practice I added to the user-startp this:

If EXISTS Libs:icon.library
RemLib >NIL: icon.library
EndIf

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 August 2018 at 07:48.
Old 13 August 2018, 11:48   #2508
pcotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
After a test and found the solution, it seems that on the AFA-OS the two icon.library can cohabit, now Dopus4 shows any PNG / OS4 icon in perfect way, see screenshot

EndIf
Wow! thanks for the tip Amigasystem :-)
it seem to work fine on the AmikiTHLON
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_114249.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	965.8 KB
ID:	59252  
Old 13 August 2018, 12:07   #2509
PeterK

Quote:

EndIf
No, I'm pretty sure that you have removed or disabled AfA's icon_lib.exe now. You can see that in SysInspector's or Scout's library list by double-clicking on icon.library. If the LibID-string just says "DEAD CAT" then it's AfA's library v53.4, else it shows my library version string. With AfA's icon_lib.exe I only get these damaged 4-color images in DOpus4 Icon Info.

RemLib icon.library probably does the same as removing icon_lib.exe from AfA_OS_LIBS:

Last edited by PeterK; 13 August 2018 at 12:16.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:19   #2510
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No, I'm pretty sure that you have removed or disabled AfA's icon_lib.exe now. You can see that in Scout's library list by double-clicking on icon.library. If the LibID-string just says "DEAD CAT" then it's AfA's library v53.4, else it shows my library version string. With AfA's icon_lib.exe I only get these damaged 4-color images in DOpus4 Icon Info.
Ok I'll do this check
Quote:
RemLib icon.library probably does the same as removing icon_lib.exe from AfA_OS_LIBS:
I do not think the icons are perfect as before and I can see some icons that on OS 3.9 standard you see badly on Dops4 (with your library)

Before without that command with AFA-OS the OS4 Icons were visible

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 August 2018 at 08:46.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:28   #2511
PeterK

Quote:
I do not think the icons are perfect as before and I can see some icons that on OS 3.9 standard you see badly on Dopus4 (with your library)
Sorry, I don't understand, what looks badly with my library on DOpus4 ?

Quote:
Before without that command with AFA-OS the OS4 Icons were visible
Yes, your screenshot shows the bad results of AfA's icon_lib.exe, not of my library.

It seems you did not understand that my library is not used by AfA as long as there is an icon_lib.exe in AfA_OS_LIBS:.

You don't need the RemLib instruction, just remove or rename icon_lib.exe!

Last edited by PeterK; 13 August 2018 at 12:41.
Old 13 August 2018, 12:51   #2512
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand, what looks badly with my library on DOpus4 ?
Those created with [ Show youtube player ] procedure (but from the Workbench you can see well)

Quote:
Yes, your screenshot shows the bad results of AfA's icon.lib.exe, not of my library.
Yes

Quote:
It seems you did not understand that my library is not used by AfA as long as there is an icon_lib.exe in AfA_OS_LIBS:.
Yes, I know that, in fact, with that command in the user-startup it seems that AFA-OS uses your library, see screenshot

Quote:
You don't need the RemLib instruction, just remove or rename icon_lib.exe!
No AFA-OS this way does not start, probably because it initially looks for icon_lib.exe

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 August 2018 at 17:47.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:03   #2513
kolla
Banned

Quote:
@kolla
Yes, on some systems TC020 might be a little bit slower, and it consumes more memory, of course, although the TrueColor images are stored compressed in memory, but it still means 5-20 kB more for each icon. And it's difficult now to convert them into the OS 3.5 format, which is always several times faster. So, the 68020 version is still the better choice for most older Amigas. TC020 is only for high-end systems and emulators with a fast CPU and lots of memory.
OK, I was thinking of the situation where one might want to alter ToolTypes etc for icons that will be used on RTG, on a system that only has AGA/ECS, for example. It's not like I intend to have tons of true-colour icons on the AGA system, which would eat up memory They only show up on the system every now and then, and when that happens, it is convenient that they are not altered when I edit other metadata in them. For icons that I want permanently to exist on the AGA/ECS systems, I always use OS3.5 format, yes.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:25   #2514
PeterK

Quote:
No AFA-OS this way does not start, probably because it initially looks for icon_lib.exe
I never had a problem to start AfA without icon_lib.exe. Just tested it again, and it works with AfA 4.8. There must be something wrong with your AfA installation. Check the position of MoreLibSpace (1. line) and AfA_OS_Loader (somewhere after AddDatatypes but before IPrefs).

Your icon joining video is just confusing me more ... Where is the point ?

@kolla
Yes, it might be an advantage for AGA systems to be able to edit TrueColor icons without "destroying" them. On the other side, it get's difficult to convert icons with TC020. You can still do that with IconEdit, but that sometimes changes the width and height a bit. Not the best solution.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:27   #2515
kolla
Banned

Quote:
@kolla
Yes, it might be an advantage for AGA systems to be able to edit TrueColor icons without "destroying" them. On the other side, it get's difficult to convert icons with TC020. You can still do that with IconEdit, but that sometimes changes the width and height a bit. Not the best solution.
OK, I understand. I will simply have both available and swap between them from my reboot-menu.. it has been growing lately anyways
Old 13 August 2018, 13:37   #2516
PeterK

Maybe, I should write another little command "DropTrueColor" or "TrueColorOnOff" for temporary usage.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:43   #2517
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I never had a problem to start AfA without icon_lib.exe. Just tested it again, and it works with AfA 4.8. There must be something wrong with your AfA installation. Check the position of MoreLibSpace (1. line) and AfA_OS_Loader (somewhere after AddDatatypes but before IPrefs).
If you disable AFA-OS with the SX Mouse button, the system loads regularly, my AFA-OS has a customized Startup-sequence probably as you say you should do some corrective, but at the moment I find it much more functional,of course, always thanks to your great commitment.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:49   #2518
PeterK

Ok, if RemLib works better for you, leave it as it is now.
Old 13 August 2018, 13:58   #2519
AMIGASYSTEM

It is also because renaming the icon_lib.exe you have graphical problems with particular Skin windows, (tested on my other AFA-Standard), with RemLib everything is perfect

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 August 2018 at 17:47.
Old 13 August 2018, 14:09   #2520
kolla
Banned

Wow, AfA is such a mess, lol