English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 13 September 2017, 18:56   #2061
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

It is very easy to notice that whole movie is Kate Beckinsale's show. At some point just gets annoying, but still... some CGI enhanced close up shots...

Have you seen Much Ado About Nothing?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 September 2017, 19:18   #2062
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Nope, not exactly my type of movie
Old 15 September 2017, 05:59   #2063
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

LoL

Had to watch it for English class back in college. Anyhow, that is where she started.

Watching 1st season of Big Bang Theory.

It is like geek test...

Last edited by Anubis; 15 September 2017 at 13:28.
Old 20 September 2017, 05:36   #2064
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
LoL

Had to watch it for English class back in college. Anyhow, that is where she started.

Watching 1st season of Big Bang Theory.

It is like geek test...
Yes I've seen this movie a few times, I noticed her in it but I really watched the movie for Emma Thompson
Old 03 October 2017, 00:29   #2065
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.

If ever there was a movie made for 13-year-olds, it's this one. It's clearly PG-13 as people have apparently zero blood flowing in them, it's just one big testosterone-driven crapfest and it has bombastic music that just doesn't fit the genre - at all. So its flashy and noisy - check. Made for teenagers, all it's missing is an awkward sex scene where you only see someone's back.

At it's heart it's a Guy Ritchie movie, a guy who's work I normally enjoy a lot. It has the really fast editing and a few of the really cool dialogue scenes that make Snatch, Sherlock Holmes and Rock 'N Rolla such classics. After the annoying CGI-spectacle-fest opening I was treated to some really good scenes which gave me hope. Alas, they went as quickly as they came and the movie switched to the usual 'guys running around fighting stuff and shouting at each other for extended periods of time' when there is no real story to tell. And there is no story to tell.

Probably the movie's biggest failing is that it had a huge budget which has been put to use on large CGI scenes, wide angle shots of the (gorgeous) surroundings and expensive actors. The actors are really great too and I would love to see them together in a better movie, but alas in this they're simply wasted. Their characters just are there to be there, they don't get any kind of development nor do you get to really know and like them. Just... bad storytelling across the board.

A really mediocre movie, unfortunately. But worth a watch on a rainy day I if you switch off your brain and just look at the really pretty moving pictures.

5/10
Old 03 October 2017, 23:05   #2066
volvo_0ne

Human Centipede 3..................

G A R B A G E!
Old 03 October 2017, 23:47   #2067
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Human Centipede 3..................

G A R B A G E!
That isn't fair, if you're going to toss this kind of tripe into the thread then all other movies are works of art by comparison.
Old 04 October 2017, 15:47   #2068
blade002
Zone Friend

The ONLY thing I am looking forward to is Blade Runner 2049.

The vast majority of new films are absolutely appalling, and what's with all this Batman Vs Superman Vs Iron Man Vs Thor Vs Catwoman Vs My Microwave Dinner Vs The End Result of my Dinner Vs Turd Man....etc

Pleeeeease!!! No more Car movies such as the Fast & Furious part 98, no more Comic Book crap...etc...
Old 04 October 2017, 20:19   #2069
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That isn't fair, if you're going to toss this kind of tripe into the thread then all other movies are works of art by comparison.
Not really, you see there wasn't many things I could say about the film on a "family" forum without upsetting someone.
Old 05 October 2017, 08:31   #2070
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
The ONLY thing I am looking forward to is Blade Runner 2049.

The vast majority of new films are absolutely appalling, and what's with all this Batman Vs Superman Vs Iron Man Vs Thor Vs Catwoman Vs My Microwave Dinner Vs The End Result of my Dinner Vs Turd Man....etc

Pleeeeease!!! No more Car movies such as the Fast & Furious part 98, no more Comic Book crap...etc...
I would pay to see your TURD vs. Anything really
Old 05 October 2017, 21:12   #2071
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Not really, you see there wasn't many things I could say about the film on a "family" forum without upsetting someone.
There must be a miscommunication somewhere because I don't understand where this response is coming from. The tripe I referred too was the "movie", not your opinion. Just to be sure we're on the same wavelength

In any case: looking forward to Turd Man VS Microwave Dinner!
Old 05 October 2017, 22:18   #2072
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Wait, he could not figure out what to except from title of the movie itself?!

Not watching much of TV... stuck at half of 1st season of BBT. Need to get it again. Some humor in there is just priceless...

I saw The Orville and enjoy it, for trash it represents...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 05 October 2017, 23:17   #2073
volvo_0ne

Quote:
There must be a miscommunication somewhere because I don't understand where this response is coming from. The tripe I referred too was the "movie", not your opinion. Just to be sure we're on the same wavelength

In any case: looking forward to Turd Man VS Microwave Dinner!
Yes, sorry for mentioning that movie, it is garbage and at least we agree
Old 15 October 2017, 17:45   #2074
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Blade Runner 2049.

Know one thing when seeing this movie: it is slow. Sloooooooooow.

And thank god for that, because if this movie was fast you'd miss all of it. It is slow building and slow moving on purpose because then you get to feast your eyes and ears on all the glory that this shoves into the individual holes that make up your body. My god this is a sensory overload, I was nailed into my seat.

Storywise it's a bit sluggish as a result, the focus is more on letting the world and the characters tell the story, quite classic movie making. And the world tells a bit of a frightening story as I can actually believe what the movie shows is a possible future we might be heading towards. One of the topics explored is that of relationships with computerized personalities; something that is already happening today. First in Japan but it has already spread to other parts of the world where mainly men are engaging into a serious emotional relationship with a computer program mimicking the "perfect girlfriend". The movie shows that development 30 years from now. The most frightening part of it: I found it quite tentalizing.

I can understand this movie "only" has an 8.5 on IMDB at the time of writing, it won't be everyone's cup of tea much like the first Blade Runner. Well it is not only my brand of tea but it was brewed to perfection in my opinion - except the end, it seemed a tad bit unfinished as not all plot points were unraveled entirely. It has clearly been left wide open for more Blade Runner spin-off movies, and I want it. I want it, I want it, I want it.

Verdict: 9.6. Best (Hollywood) movie of this decade. I hope this is going to set a trend for the next decade.
Old 16 October 2017, 01:43   #2075
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
I found it quite tentalizing.
Is that when you get tantalized by the thought of sleeping in a tent?

I've been a bit hesitant to go watch the new Bladerunner, I was worried it would be the usual Hollywood crap that they are continually churning out these days, all fart and no start. Might give it a chance when I go into town during the week.
Old 16 October 2017, 13:01   #2076
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Is that when you get tantalized by the thought of sleeping in a tent?
What a fail, I even Googled the correct way to spell that word and I still managed to do it wrong. Oh well, guess I'm not a replicant.

Be aware that my perfect 10 when it comes to movies is Once Upon a Time in the West; a movie that not many other people will rate that insanely high. There is something about (really) slow going movies which operate more on your emotions and senses that grips me.

It helps if such movies have staggeringly beautiful women, and it just so happens it is true for both Once upon a Time and Blade Runner 2049
Old 16 October 2017, 21:16   #2077
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Be aware that my perfect 10 when it comes to movies is Once Upon a Time in the West; a movie that not many other people will rate that insanely high.
I would rate Once Upon A Time in the West a 10 as well. Leone's magnum opus if you ask me. The opening scene with Harmonica shaking his head and saying 'You brought two too many' is cinematic gold, the tension is palpable.
AdSense AdSense