alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I'm guessing they are quite old now?
They date back to when the SS was made.

Quote:
I'm sure they don't make EMS carts with the comm link anymore so it could be one of the older "troublesome" revsions.
You can still buy them on the EMS website. "troublesome" revision? Please explain.

Quote:
Do you stilll have the Magic Card V2?It's a handy thing to use if you have an unmodded Saturn
Erm, since last week? Of course.

Quote:
The rest of those cards are probably not much use these days which is a shame.
Rubbish, they are RAM expansions which you need for some of the games + expand the save memory + a cheat system + allow you to play import games without modding.

Without one you cannot play:

http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php

Last edited by alexh; 20 September 2009 at 18:50.
Old 20 September 2009, 18:59   #162
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I meant they are useless as you can get newer and more compatible revisions! the old EMS carts had teething problems with the 1mb/4mb ram and needed a hardware modification for it to work correctly with games that needed the 4mb expansion... Some places still sell the old version with a comm port (with modification) but i'm not sure if the software is upto date? (most current is V2.02).

Why would anyone choose an old Datel over the newer and much better EMS cart??? My old Datel does not even allow imports to be played!

EDIT: EMS carts with comm port's are pre-2007 and are no longer manufactured so there must be some old stock floating about on the net ... also i cannot find the old comm cart on the EMS website, just the new 2.02 version.

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 20 September 2009 at 19:10.
Old 20 September 2009, 20:33   #163
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
I meant they are useless as you can get newer and more compatible revisions!
Erm, ok. First I've heard of this, pretty sure my carts worked with anything I threw at it, cept the ROM ones.

Quote:
the old EMS carts had teething problems with the 1mb/4mb ram and needed a hardware modification for it to work correctly with games that needed the 4mb expansion...
Ooooo, oooooh. Got any links to this?

Quote:
Some places still sell the old version with a comm port (with modification) but i'm not sure if the software is upto date? (most current is V2.02).
How can I tell which version I have? With a comms link card & a cart with comms port, I can update to anything... and on the EMS website are the files to update to V2.02

Quote:
Why would anyone choose an old Datel over the newer and much better EMS cart??? My old Datel does not even allow imports to be played!
Price, availability, ignorance? Pretty sure I didn't know about any incompatibility when I bought mine.

Quote:
i cannot find the old comm cart on the EMS website, just the new 2.02 version.
Later, only the PRO one has the COMMS port.

http://www.hkems.com/product/saturn/...ion_replay.htm
Old 20 September 2009, 20:50   #164
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

It's hard to find a link for an old action replay but they did have a memory problem... i know as i had one! try looking here: http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/EMS-ARP.html These people are selling the "re-wired" version with comm ports.

Your cart may work with the games you own but i am 100% certain it will not work with every game you throw at it! Not even the new one is that good! Also you probably bought yours when it first came out so the problems/incompatibilities would not have been found or mentioned until later after it was fully tried and tested

Stick your EMS cart in your saturn and it should display the version in the top-right of the screen. I have not really heard much about the action replay pro... does it have auto-switching 1mb/4mb expansion?

EDIT: here is another link regarding ARP details and faults etc.... http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/sat/satar.txt
Old 20 September 2009, 20:58   #165
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Thanks, very interesting

http://web.archive.org/web/200304202...3/jrnl0416.htm
Old 09 March 2010, 12:51   #166
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Only a question of time until I posted one of my typical questions... here we go...

OK - it is no secret that there are loads of back up Sega Saturn games on-line... most of them seem to be in similar formats when downloaded.

A. [iso+wav] [TOC Confirmed].rar
B. [iso+ape] [TOC Confirmed].rar
c. [iso+MP3] [TOC Confirmed].rar
D. Bin/Cue

I have got a couple and I have burnt them to CD using ImageBurn and also Magic ISO and they seem to burn OK - I cant test them till next week when my Saturn is returned with it's chip fitted.

I Just wondered if this was the best way of burning the games back to disk?
Am I overlooking something else that needs to be done here?

What does everyone else do... and do you get good results?

What does TOC Confirmed mean?

Thanks guys - you know I bow to your greater knowledge!
Old 09 March 2010, 13:00   #167
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I cant test them till next week when my Saturn is returned with it's chip fitted.
Who did you go with in the end? Are they doing your region & refresh rate switches?

Quote:
I Just wondered if this was the best way of burning the games back to disk?
What other way is there?

Quote:
What does everyone else do... and do you get good results?
Just load it into one of the top few CD/DVD writing tools such as Nero, DiskJuggler etc. I'm sure it doesn't really matter which and hit burn. Perhaps adjust the burn speed up or down for compatibility

Quote:
What does TOC Confirmed mean?
TOC or "Table of Contents" is another CUE file format originally from the linux burning tool http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/ so I assumed confirmed means that it works??
Old 09 March 2010, 13:43   #168
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
TOC or "Table of Contents" is another CUE file format originally from the linux burning tool http://projects.gnome.org/brasero/ so I assumed confirmed means that it works??

Thanks Alex...
I went to Console Passion and yes I am getting those dreaded LED's you love so much!!

I have been reading on-line that people have had mixed results when burning these Saturn back ups so I just wanted to see if there was some secret to it I was unaware of...
Old 09 March 2010, 14:05   #169
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The mixed results will stem from the usual 3 issues :

1) Saturn laser was never designed to read CD-R dye
2) Different CD-R dyes have different properties find one which works and stick with it.
3) Burning speed. The speed at which you burn can have a serious difference to the quality of the disk produced. Burn too slowly and modern media will just not like it at all producing lots of read errors. Burn too fast and the Saturn may not be able to read the disk.

It is all about experimenting until you get a media and a speed that your Saturn likes and then sticking with it.

I would recommend you start by using (non-fake) Taiyo Yuden. They are roughly 3x the price of other discs but if your Saturn likes them you'll have far fewer coasters in the long run.

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/cons...s/blank-cdr/1/
Old 27 March 2010, 16:26   #170
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Just a quick update here...

I have found that for me the best way of burning the Saturn back up's is to use Imgburn - I had to install the Radlight4 Ape filter (as a lot of the images contain ape files) from free codecs and make sure I burnt from the cue file - all seems ok for me if I burn this way.

I do get the odd image that wont burn the game music properly - these are normally the images that have mp3 files as part of the image - imgburn states during the burn process that the sound files contain silence... guess I cant have Imgburn mp3 codec set up correctly - not too sure to be honest...? generally there is an ape image alternative to download anyway.

I am using Verbatim CD's burning at 10x speed.

Thanks for the tips Alex - Now got some excellent Saturn games!