English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 March 2008, 22:53   #1
liam5000

Playing .ADF files directly on Amiga???

Hi Guys,

this is my very first thread on EAB so please be gentle with me!.....

I am returning to the Amiga after 15 years on a PC. I am 25 and I last used and cherished my A500+ when I was only 10 years old!!!!!

I have forgotten quite a lot but I am getting to grips with the Amiga and it's OS again, slowly but surely.

Anyway...to cut to the chase...I have about 1,000 floppies for my A500+.....yes,....1,000. these are taking up loads of space in my house and I need to get rid!!!!!

I want to store all 1000's floppies on all my PC's hard disk and eventually get rid of all the amiga floppy disks, in order to free some space in my house.

i understand that I can use ADFBlitzer on my Amiga A500+ to create .ADF's of each disk. I can then use my serial connection to transfer them to my PC''s hard disk, since the 50mb Amiga HD will insuffice.

what I want to know and be able to do is this........if i create a boat load of ADF's from my floppies and transfer them to my PC, can i then play them directly from the pc BUT ON MY AMIGA, over the serial link, WITHOUT having to create a floppy for each .ADf first??????

If this is possible, how can I do it? If it's not possible, what's the best way of "Archiving" my 1000 floppies to PC HD, and then playing them from the amiga, without having to create floppies first?????

I know that the easiest solution would be to use use WINUAE on the PC to emulate and play the .ADF's but I really want to sit down and play them on the A500+, purely for nostalgia!!!!! you know what I mean.....

any help would be really appreciated guys

Thanks.....Liam - Macclesfield, Cheshire.

Old 28 March 2008, 15:11   #2
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam5000 View Post
Hi Guys,

this is my very first thread on EAB so please be gentle with me!.....

I am returning to the Amiga after 15 years on a PC. I am 25 and I last used and cherished my A500+ when I was only 10 years old!!!!!

I have forgotten quite a lot but I am getting to grips with the Amiga and it's OS again, slowly but surely.

Anyway...to cut to the chase...I have about 1,000 floppies for my A500+.....yes,....1,000. these are taking up loads of space in my house and I need to get rid!!!!!

I want to store all 1000's floppies on all my PC's hard disk and eventually get rid of all the amiga floppy disks, in order to free some space in my house.

i understand that I can use ADFBlitzer on my Amiga A500+ to create .ADF's of each disk. I can then use my serial connection to transfer them to my PC''s hard disk, since the 50mb Amiga HD will insuffice.

what I want to know and be able to do is this........if i create a boat load of ADF's from my floppies and transfer them to my PC, can i then play them directly from the pc BUT ON MY AMIGA, over the serial link, WITHOUT having to create a floppy for each .ADf first??????

If this is possible, how can I do it? If it's not possible, what's the best way of "Archiving" my 1000 floppies to PC HD, and then playing them from the amiga, without having to create floppies first?????

I know that the easiest solution would be to use use WINUAE on the PC to emulate and play the .ADF's but I really want to sit down and play them on the A500+, purely for nostalgia!!!!! you know what I mean.....

any help would be really appreciated guys

Thanks.....Liam - Macclesfield, Cheshire.
You can't do what you want to do. If you don't want to play games from disk your only option is to get an amiga with a few megs of ram and use WHDLoad.
Old 28 March 2008, 17:18   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
No, but there are alternatives.

a) Use WHDload and store/play all the games from an Amiga hard drive.
b) Make your own homebrew Floppy disk server. This will require making your own PCB, soldering it up with the correct chips etc. and then removing the internal floppy drive and wiring it up in it's place. ADF images are sent from the PC via USB

Quote:
If it's not possible, what's the best way of "Archiving" my 1000 floppies to PC HD, and then playing them from the amiga, without having to create floppies first?????
1) Throw all your disks in the bin (or sell them on AmiBay)
2) Buy a GVP HD8+ hard drive
3) Register a copy of WHDload
4) Google for KGWHD
Old 28 March 2008, 17:36   #4
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Hmmm....

@ Liam5000

I would like first shout on the floppies when you have finished with them please.

Ta

Merlin
Old 28 March 2008, 19:03   #5
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

There's a cable that you can buy that allows you to connect your Amiga disk drive port to your computer and load disk images that way. I have yet to try mine out but I plan on trying it this summer
Old 28 March 2008, 20:03   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@Boing 1000

The floppy server software for the cable you are talking about only works for Win9x and it doesnt connect to the external "disk drive port", but inside where the internal disk drive would connect.
Old 28 March 2008, 22:13   #7
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

What about getting hold of an AdIDE adaptor for the 500+, stick a hard drive in it and transfer the files that way?

Merlin
Old 28 March 2008, 23:01   #8
Eclipse
Turpentine

I had about 250 floppy's and learned the hard way that very few if any still actually work.
People seem to be dumping old disks to adf which to be honest causes a headache when trying to turn the adf's back into disks.
Old 28 March 2008, 23:07   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
What about getting hold of an AdIDE adaptor for the 500+, stick a hard drive in it and transfer the files that way?
Always nice to have the extra RAM of the GVP HD8+ though