English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 September 2007, 23:58   #1
Pyromania

If M$ did all this to kill Quicktime, God only knows what they did to kill Amiga!

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...B0CA0C29C.html

I'm sure some backroom deals happened (are still happening?). Commodore died just before the release of Windows 95. The Amiga had the Video Toaster back then and was a huge threat to any company trying to sell computers for gaming/multimedia.
Old 22 September 2007, 00:28   #2
AlenK

The well documented incompetence of the upper management at Commodore was quite sufficient to kill the company. They didn't need any help from Microshaft (not saying they didn't get it, just that they didn't need it).

Old 22 September 2007, 00:34   #3
Pyromania

Maybe it was incompetence by design!

Old 22 September 2007, 00:36   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i always believe that microsoft did something to kill the amiga
Old 22 September 2007, 00:38   #5
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
i always believe that microsoft did something to kill the amiga
Like a well-marketed product with sufficient financial backing, something the Amiga didn't have?

I think Commodore did it themselves, although the whole Windows 95 thing was badly timed from the Amiga's point of view (I'm sure it made a difference) but basically if Commodore weren't so incompetent then it wouldn't have died.
Old 22 September 2007, 02:01   #6
blade002
Zone Friend

Im with Pyromania on this one. Whilst Commodore's management team was almost solely responsible for its demise, perhaps maybe that was due to some inside liaising with Microsoft with people such as Medhi Ali.

We all know how Microsoft operates, they must have had "some" involvement, because its in their nature to do so.
Old 22 September 2007, 02:25   #7
woody57

perhaps the senior management of comodore had a few Microsoft "sleepers" in there & win95 was the trigger to awaken their self destructive phase
Old 22 September 2007, 02:46   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Like a well-marketed product with sufficient financial backing, something the Amiga didn't have?

I think Commodore did it themselves, although the whole Windows 95 thing was badly timed from the Amiga's point of view (I'm sure it made a difference) but basically if Commodore weren't so incompetent then it wouldn't have died.
Here Here!!! !
Old 22 September 2007, 04:00   #9
Hobbe

I don't recall having caught a single TV add for Amiga back in those days whilst Windows 95's campaign was so massive I almost began believing Microsoft had written Start Me Up
Old 22 September 2007, 06:00   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

can this be merged with the 67 other "what killed amiga" threads?
Old 22 September 2007, 07:38   #11
oneshotdead

All great things die, and only the crap, the scum lives on.
Old 23 September 2007, 09:19   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
All great things die, and only the crap, the scum lives on.
You need a shot of anti-dramatic over-the-top statement serum ASAP.
Seriously, I don't think MS would have given a rat's ass about Amiga. MS is and was about business and home computing dominance. Amiga sold what, 1.5 million copmputers?? Amiga was more of a gaming/graphic platform. The Apple OS and Sun and UNIX systems (later Linux) is what MS was after. You guys with conspiratorial theories need to get real.
Old 23 September 2007, 10:06   #13
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
You need a shot of anti-dramatic over-the-top statement serum ASAP.
Seriously, I don't think MS would have given a rat's ass about Amiga. MS is and was about business and home computing dominance. Amiga sold what, 1.5 million copmputers?? Amiga was more of a gaming/graphic platform. The Apple OS and Sun and UNIX systems (later Linux) is what MS was after. You guys with conspiratorial theories need to get real.
I dont know Fred. I mean none of us worked for Commodore, none of worked for Microsoft during that period so none of us really know what the inside working of each company was at that time in relation to the Microsoft & Commodore issue. ( yeah i know Commodore fucked up mostly on their own )

If Microsoft was part of what happened, then maybe you would have look deeper than just competition, but maybe at what they stood to gain from its demise, and what they stood to gain could have been anything, and none of could even begin to fathom the business plan of Microsoft.

In a nutshell, its no good saying we are wrong, and its no good us saying we are right. Its like trying to dispute the existence of God. Shit i don't know if he is really there?, i don't believe there is, but i guess i will never know till i am dead, just as Bible basher will dispute he is real but with no real evidence.

No one knows, No one ever will know, and to say people are wrong is like saying that i am going to die in car accident exactly a year from now. You just don't know.

Hmmm, now i feel like eating some Duck ( And no, i don't mean that Fred !!. Get your mind out of the gutter, you dirty bitch )
Old 23 September 2007, 10:36   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Personally speaking, Microsoft have always been arrogant enough to not actually think that anyone is competition.

Microsoft are the magpies of the software industry, stealing the 'bright and shiny' things that other people do, and sticking it into their bloatware.

No doubt they would have looked at some of the things Amiga did well and incorporated it into their software, as they would have done with Apple, but as far as any conspiracy theories that Microsoft actually had a hand in destroying Commodore, I think thats a load of crap.

Commodore and the Amiga were a nothing to Microsoft, even with far inferior hardware, the PC was already dominating the hardware market.

I simply believe that Commodore were never 100% aware of what they had with Amiga and its future potential to expand and become more than the A1000 was in 1985.

The fact is, no matter how successful Commdore were or were not, the writing was on the wall for custom hardware by individual computer manufacturers. The PC norm of using 3rd party hardware was really starting to catch on, and today, even consoles today have more in common with PC's and their off the shelf hardware, than they do with the custom hardware of their predecessors.

Even if Commodore were successful in 1994-, to survive, they would have had to have gone the PC route. The PC was starting to dominate like nothing else, an unrelenting juggernaut. The Amiga would have become nothing more than a PC with an Amiga inspired bridgeboard to appease the diehards.

Commodore died because they didn't read the markets properly, didn't release AGA a lot sooner than they did. AGA Amigas should have been released in 1992, the height of Amiga ownership and software sales, this would have really prolonged the Amigas life, so that Commodore could have released the fabled AAA Amigas.

When the AGA Amigas were released, the PC was already ahead, Commodore lost the initiative, and never regained it.

From then on, Medhi Ali and co simply milked the company dry before it died, because now their premier product was behind, and they had nothing to compete with.
Old 23 September 2007, 10:57   #15
laser
Banned

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/sites.htm
Old 23 September 2007, 11:11   #16
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
didn't release AGA a lot sooner than they did. AGA Amigas should have been released in 1992,
I bought my A1200 in late 92, so they "were" released. Maybe that was a typo
Old 23 September 2007, 11:47   #17
Graham Humphrey

They should certainly have released them sooner though, they milked the success of the A500 for far too long.
Old 23 September 2007, 15:26   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I bought my A1200 in late 92, so they "were" released. Maybe that was a typo
Yeah sorry, that was a typo, 1990 I meant

This was the time of major Amiga ownership saturation, the still must have machine, the release of AGA Amigas at this time would have severely negated the impact of the Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo in the UK and Europe, because either would have struggled against such a machine.
Old 23 September 2007, 15:32   #19
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It has been said that pressure was applied against Gateway by Microsoft. Not sure about Commodore though...
Old 23 September 2007, 15:35   #20
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Yeah sorry, that was a typo, 1990 I meant

This was the time of major Amiga ownership saturation, the still must have machine, the release of AGA Amigas at this time would have severely negated the impact of the Sega Megadrive and Super Nintendo in the UK and Europe, because either would have struggled against such a machine.
You are 110% correct