English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 December 2013, 20:03   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Computer shows

What memories do you have of the early 1990's computer shows, such as the All -Formats at Earls Court in 1993?

Many fond memories of Earls Court in 93, when the venue admitted it least money having Genesis in Court 2 instead of giving it to Future. London Fire Brigade closed the doors midday, due to safety concerns with the huge number of people attending, the queues outside made TV news headlines.

There were three large shows in 93, one organised by Future at Earls Court, another at Olympia(?), and the third organised by EMAP in Birmingham. I spent all three helping out Nick at 16/32, mainly copying thousands of PD disks.

A the second show, 16/32 had what I remember the most successful days trading in their history, doing in excess of £10,000. Us helpers also had a decent day; thanks to a badly treated employee on the Silica Systems stand, I bought. 14MHz 68000 and an ICD FFV flicker fixer for £15, iirc. I also got a GVP G-Force 68030 card, supposedly 25mhz... Sooo surprised when I got home and found it was the 40MHz model with 4MB RAM . Don't ask the price

The birmingham show was certainly very different. I went up on the Friday night, was detained by BTP after an incident on the tube involving a man who declined to put out his cigarette. He wanted to press charges for assault until BTP pointed out that smoking was banned on the Underground, and insisting on charges was an admission that he had been smoking.

The show, for many exhibitors, was a disaster. Stand space was conditional to buying all console stock from Nintendo and Sega, which many duly did, at a reduced price. But during the day, when answering the question "how much for sonic?" - the show price was less than general retail - potential customers responded that it was "cheaper over there". 'Over there' was the Sega stand, and yep, they were selling stock cheaper than they had sold to exhibitors. Ditto Nintendo. Worse, attendance was lower as the NEC is not the easiest place to get to, even with a main line stop inbuilt. 28 companies went bankrupt that weekend.

Opposite us was a stand for Imports 2000, a flight steward from BA who imported board games from the US. His wife worked for Virign, and bought two cabin dolly friends with her... Well, was rude not to ask them out for a drink

Exhibitors party that night was a scream. EMAP put a few quid behind the bar, which the four of us at 16/32 put a hole in ordering a round apeice at a time. Doubles. You might remember Dominic Diamond, a TV presenter at the time. Adding insult to the injury of a very expensive day for the exhibitors, he made the announcement "we showed Future how to put a show on". To stunning silence.

Later, he wanted a drink. His entourage were trying to push everyone out the way "make way for mr diamond, mr diamond coming through". I wasn't moving from the bar, so ignored him. Until he tried to come between me and my pint. Now, you don't ever try to come between a squaddie and his beer, and Mr Diamond found himself on his arrse. That did provoke a laugh from the exhibitors who saw it

The the trolley dolled arrived.. Waay hay! Got on famously with one of them, very famously. Until we all trotted off the Bobby Browns, a night club. Where the doormen let everyone in but me... Git!! Maybe he just knew I was married and she wasn't my wife

Fond memories of the exhibitions at the time, especially the weekend one-day shows, where nick would drive up and down the country to attend; Glasgow barrow lands, edinburght, Bristol, Brighton, hard work for £25 cash in hand, but met many great folks.

Not too sure where the intervening 20 years have gone though!
Old 15 December 2013, 22:22   #2
Nobby_UK

We used to have several local Computer Shows on a Monthly basis
= Sports Centre, Uni Students Union + Race Course.

Started off with Cheap entry and lots of Stands
gradually more expensive and fewer stands
then fewer venues & less often

Now --- none at all