English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 April 2024, 07:28   #1
vortex222

5.2 crash when switching screens with RTG and 386 bridgeboard.

So i am trying to re-create my old A2000 setup i used to have back in the day, (to some extent) and it works,... kind of. But I had massive graphical glitches on 5.1 and now on 5.2 it just outright crashes..
The setup is an A2000 with A2386 bridgeboard, and ISA VGA graphics and a Picasso IV RTG board. When trying to use End+F9 to swtich between screens on 5.1, the dos screen would experience the RTG screen corrupting into the display if i tried to move the mouse around... Now on 5.2 when I switch to the dos screen the entire winuae app just crashes and creates a dump.

I have included the dump file and config file.

I have only used windowed modes. I am hoping its just a wrong setting?
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_5.2.0_R_2024.04.19_22.17.18.dmp (112.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: uae a2k p96.uae (13.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 20 April 2024, 08:55   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Config looks fine but there is no need for cycle-exact settings unless you run programs that fail if CPU is too fast. Much quicker boot too when testing different settings. (cycle exact off, fastest possible on). JIT can cause side-effects when combined with accelerator board emulation, better keep it off until everything else works.

Also set ROM panel UAE boot ROM to 128k direct (F0 would conflict with A26x0 boot ROM). Not related to graphics problems but this config probably causes UAE ROM to "shadow" A26x0 ROM.

Does graphics work without glitches if you set RTG panel SVGA board to use monitor 2 (SVGA opens in separate window, no need for END+F9 switch).

I suspect screen size limits are not checked correctly in some situations when "switching" monitors in same window.
Old 20 April 2024, 10:14   #3
vortex222

Thankyou for the reply! it is much appreciated. As is the effort and time put into WinUAE!

The purpose to setting cycle exact was just to re-create the use and feel of my old bigbox. It isn't mandatory for me to set that, just nostalgia.

I have been trying to figure out how to set up multiple windows in WinUAE, i didn't realize the emulation itself needed to be not active to set those options (by restarting emulation), as they always appeared greyed out (bios option too). In that the emulation starts upon double clicking the config. lol I feel rather simple for not figuring that out before, but at least now I know.

That seemed to have solved some problems. The entire emulator is no longer crashing at just interacting with the dos window.

Now it has the fun issue of WinUAE not re-spawning the extra window, when I do a reset by right clicking the power indicator in the bottom bar. (so i wont do that!) But I will see how this goes now! Thanks again for the help!

edit, i suspect setting up multiple windows would have solve corruption issues on build 5.1 as well. I didn't experience any corruption on 5.2 but as soon as I would click into the window it would just crash rather than bleed the RTG frame through. Where as 5.1 wouldn't fully clear the window when end+f9 switching and would still show some elements of the RTG screen.
Old 20 April 2024, 10:56   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks. This helps debugging the problem.

btw, what is your WB PicassoIV resolution? Does the problem disappear (when using END+F9) if you have (much) larger WB resolution?

EDIT: Managed to duplicate it.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 20 April 2024 at 16:20.
Old 20 April 2024, 17:27   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does https://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z fix both problems?

END+F9 switch does not anymore output both board graphics at the same time and multi-window mode works correctly after hard reset.

Please confirm.
Old 20 April 2024, 21:09   #6
vortex222

Ok Excellent! I can confirm that extra RTG windows respawn on reset. And in single window setup, so far no crashing or corruption is happening when switching between screens. This holds rather I have scaling turned on or not! Excellent.

I also noticed i no longer need to let up the end button every time i switch a screen, that i can now just hold it down and keep pressing f9 to cycle around them. That is a welcome change!

Thankyou for your help! So far this seems to be working exactly as it should.

btw I had my picasso resolution set to 800x600 at 8bit color.
Old 21 April 2024, 15:21   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perfect. I guess most users (including me) used uaegfx + bridgeboard which didn't cause this problem.