English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 23 March 2020, 23:03   #161
Master484

Quote:
Forget what I wrote. I should never have gotten mixed up into this discussion in the first place. Believe what you will.
And just to point this out: no matter my personal and more pessimistic views on this issue, I genuinely hope those pointing to lower numbers end up being correct.
Yeah, I too regret that I posted in this thread.

I saw your post and wrote a reply. But there's no point to continue.

This is such a sensitive topic, with people dying from the virus every day. And arguments around such a topic can quickly turn nasty.

So, time for me to go to bed. And tomorrow, I'll buy more toilet paper, just in case.
Old 23 March 2020, 23:08   #162
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master484 View Post
Yeah, I too regret that I posted in this thread.

I saw your post and wrote a reply. But there's no point to continue.

This is such a sensitive topic, with people dying from the virus every day. And arguments around such a topic can quickly turn nasty.

So, time for me to go to bed. And tomorrow, I'll buy more toilet paper, just in case.
I agree with all of this. Including the going to bed

Seems I managed to end my part in this before I got too far out of hand though, for which I am glad.
Old 23 March 2020, 23:52   #163
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
tomorrow, I'll buy more toilet paper, just in case.
Back on "topic", when creating shopping list, it might be a good idea to use concurrently online toilet paper calculator in a buy-what-you-need fashion :
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/
Avoid acting like this guy, spotted shamefully hoarding wine in Berlin last week-end :
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rket-trip.html

Last edited by SquawkBox; 24 March 2020 at 00:24.
Old 24 March 2020, 03:23   #164
LongLifeA1200

This will all be deleted in a year so don't worry.

Since we're back to topic...

Sellers on eBay and Amazon that were caught racketeering "panic-bought" items had their accounts suspended and were warned they would be banned if they tried something like that again.

Just a side note of other good news - in Italy a woman in her 90s recovered from the Corona virus.
Old 24 March 2020, 10:05   #165
sparhawk

Quote:
Yeah, thats true. It can get quickly out of hand. I also already considered stopping to participate in this argument.

Quote:
Old 24 March 2020, 10:27   #166
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Just a side note of other good news - in Italy a woman in her 90s recovered from the Corona virus.
I am not surprised. People in Mediterranean countries are brick walls. Sunlight + rich soil + a rich variety of nutrient rich vegetables + olive oil is the winning combination is my current hypothesis. Ever since I met the Spanish in-laws, I have added a good amount of olive oil to my daily diet.

The grandfather of my partner was Spanish and lived to the ripe old age of 99. At age 90 he thought he was going to die because he had explosive diarrhoea - he had never really had it before and thus did not know what was going on.

He had a bucketload of pills he needed to take daily though because he had developed many conditions which is not strange for someone that old. One day at around age 95 he got really sick. The reason? The pills were making him sick because he did not need them anymore, his conditions had cured themselves.

Someone in the Netherlands turns 70+ and has the same conditions - I give them 5 more years tops.
Old 24 March 2020, 21:27   #167
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

[ Show youtube player ]
Skip to 0:45
Old 25 March 2020, 03:08   #168
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Just as every struggle, this one brings heroes among people...

Don Giuseppe Berardelli

Quote:
An Italian priest who contracted the new coronavirus died after he gave up a ventilator so a younger patient could have one, local media reports say.

Don Giuseppe Berardelli, 72, was the archpriest of Casnigo, a town in northern Italy about 50 miles northeast of Milan.

According to Italian news site Prima Bergamo, Berardelli died sometime between March 15 and 16 and was being treated at a hospital in nearby Lovere, as his condition worsened.

A health care worker at the hospital told the Italian online news outlet Araberarathat Berardelli was given a ventilator but the priest refused it so someone who was younger than him could use it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/2906351001/
Old 25 March 2020, 21:27   #169
Zak
Zap´em

So I must face the truth that there will be no toilet paper / paper towels / paper tissues anymore for a long time, maybe years. By next week or maybe the week after, I am out of paper.

I really ask if anyone has a method that really works.

I could take a shower after bowel movement which would be a mess in the bath tub. I could use a washcloth, also very messy, and I don't know if the stains will ever wash out of it. Don't know what to do.
Old 25 March 2020, 22:06   #170
thellier

Verbascum plants can be uses as a soft toilet paper
https://www.hipcamp.com/journal/camp...se-in-a-pinch/
Old 25 March 2020, 22:36   #171
sparhawk

Good thing to read newspapers. It's much harder to wipe the ass using a tablet.
Old 25 March 2020, 22:49   #172
Zak
Zap´em

You are laughing now but it could hit you too in some weeks or maybe months.

I really thought about using newspapers though, but my concern is the printer's ink. Will it do any harm?

Also hard to get by a Verbascum plant here downtown in the city.
Old 25 March 2020, 23:43   #173
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
there will be no toilet paper / paper towels / paper tissues anymore for a long time, maybe years.
Oh, come one why would it be a shortage going on for such long period of time ? What about this piece of advice which I gave earlier ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
In this situation, I would use instead paper towels (try your local office supplies store) which I would throw in small biodegradable plastic bag. Wrap up each bag when done and dispose of these bags in a larger bin bag.
Old 25 March 2020, 23:56   #174
Zak
Zap´em

I was at an office supply store weeks ago, they didn't have paper towels. And by now all stores except of grocery stores and drugstores are closed. The grocery stores and drugstores are sold out on paper ware the minute they offer it. You must have luck and be there in that minute. They don't tell when they get new supplies.

And we are only at the beginning of this. There will be no vaccine for at least one year. Hence my statement earlier.
Old 26 March 2020, 01:07   #175
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

My I suggest author Leo Tolstoy, each book 1000+ pages...

Just out of curiosity, what do you think people used 100-200 years ago? 500 years ago?

You know saying... wash your @ss?
Old 26 March 2020, 01:35   #176
SquawkBox

Maybe you could order a portable bidet as a temporary workaround. This one is designed by Box Clever, and is made of anodized aluminum :

https://www.fastcompany.com/90372154...-nano-of-butts

I would advise against wiping one's butt with newsprint on a regular basis, not because of the ink but because of the harshness of scrap paper and varying quantities of spores (mildew...). Instead, gather a few wilted leaves from a park nearby that were not stamped upon if you can. Personally, in such situation, I would simply use a washcloth soaked with warm water and a drop of liquid soap and then dry off with the cloth I value the less.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 March 2020 at 11:02.
Old 26 March 2020, 03:24   #177
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

It could be worse... you could for example live in India...

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/statu...11674525003779

Old 26 March 2020, 05:07   #178
SquawkBox

That one-man police squad pretending he's about to whip offenders with his rod depicts a rather ludicrous, if not hilarious scenery. Maybe, in a not so distant future, it will be a lot nastier, as it was shown in G. Lucas's THX 1138 dystopian feature.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 March 2020 at 07:52.
Old 26 March 2020, 08:47   #179
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
You are laughing now but it could hit you too in some weeks or maybe months.
Really? Even if that were the case, there something like water as well.

Quote:
I really thought about using newspapers though, but my concern is the printer's ink. Will it do any harm?
I prefer toiletpaper because it's softer but a newspaper also works. My father is now 83 and he was using newspaper all his live. He was used to it from WWII, where there was no such "luxury", and he still lives. He never bothered to buy toilet paper.

You could use suction towels as well, but that will make the wastewater treament plants VERY unhappy, so I would stay away from that.
Old 26 March 2020, 08:55   #180
SquawkBox

As it stands, you shouldn't worry too much about that slightly more perceptible "surviving of the fittest" dilemma. Try to cool down a little, stay in bed while enjoying the company of the Great Giana Sisters, have some healthy and occasional no so healthy meals and drinks. Also, think about the opportunity for change after the upcoming shitstorm has ended (we're talking 180° Change in how the World Leaders will be taking the matter in their hands, incremental adjustments won't do much good). It's all right if it's mostly the next generation that will benefit from it. They'll manage without us hopefully, like we shall manage if we happen to lose quite a few of our dear elderly folks, because of the coronavirus (it has already started to take its toll in nursing homes from various parts of France).

Ok, maybe it will be a hassle to get some actual toilet paper or other supplies for a while, but also, consider how wild animals engage in a struggle for survival every day of their short lives, thus being exposed to all sort of hurdles, such as seeing their offspring being eaten alive, trapped, injured and what not. They're in grave danger not just when they go in the wild to do some hunting, it's literally from the moment they wake up until dusk.

It will take a while before civilized world as we know it becomes a living hell a la Mad Max. Whatever happens during the next few months, there are people we will need to trust. That includes politicians (Ok, may be not ), scientists, even the Press as they all are equally exposed to getting the virus as us lot. If you're tested positive, don't assume you will not heal, don't get mad at the people you suspect having you contaminated (except if intentional, of course). Call your family physicist, follow his recommendations and go on with your life, only at a slower pace.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 March 2020 at 11:32.