English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 07 May 2008, 13:09   #1
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

intuition, kingcon in dopus4/os39 and screenborders

i use a small tool that displays random bootpics. however, after a few seconds i get that nasty ugly 'intuition is trying to reset the wb screen....', losing the bootpic. i want my miggy to display the bootpic till its ready booting os39 w/o this annoying message. it should go straight to os39 w/o the ugly screens in between. is there any way to work around this?

secondly, when i use opus4 under os39 it sometimes whines 'please insert volume kcon in any drive', this happens when i try to run programs from opus4 and on some other occasions like depacking archives. opus5 doesnt have this problem, but i have a slight problem with opus5, i like opus4 way better. opus4 works fine in os31. how should i solve this?

further, i got a microvitec 1438 which has those ugly borders in most screenmodes. i've tried moned, a lot of aminet monitor driver packages, but so far w/o succes. is there any way to solve this? i use super72 800x300 right now cos it doesnt have borders and a high refresh rate, but i'd rather use dblpal, multiscan or dblntsc. if i can only get rid of those borders.
Old 07 May 2008, 19:27   #2
Bloodwych

Are you using one of your own installs, or one of my ClassicWB packs with OS39?

I've never used boot pics with Workbench and it'll be hard to troubleshoot the issue without installing such a package myself. It sounds like Workbench is trying to change screenmodes before other boot programs have finished their tasks but someone who uses a boot loader might be able to help.

KCON: is an improved cli/shell interface I use in the ClassicWB packs for Workbench 3.0/3.1. It shouldn't be in any 3.9 version, as it has its own improved interface.

In the ClassicWB OS39 beta, I thought I'd removed all reference to KCON: and so it should not have the issue. Since I don't remember sending you a link to the new pack, you may have an old version.

If you've modified or copied over one of the 3.0/3.1 packs, then you'll need to enter the dopus config and remove any references to KCON: as an output window for the various functions and replace it with OS39's one (can't remember - is it VNC: ??)

As for the borders and the 1438 - no solution I'm afraid. I have this monitor and never found a way to rid myself of those silly borders. Why they released an Amiga monitor without horizontal control I will never know. It was probably because you'd have to continually change it when switching between Productivity and PAL/NTSC as it didn't have a digital memory for different screenmodes.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 07 May 2008 at 19:40.
Old 07 May 2008, 20:14   #3
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
Most likely reason for the intuition message is that something in your startup-sequence or user-startup has made output to the bootshell and iprefs is attempting to change the screenmode.
Best way to test this is to comment out (disable) the 'endcli >nil:' line with a semicolon ( ; endcli >nil: ), reboot and attempt to see what is cousing the bootshell to be opened.
After finding out where the problem lies you could use QUIET to suppress the culprit (if the tool in question supports this parameter) or redirect it's output to the NIL: device ( eg. run >nil: buggyprogram >nil: )

Another reason might be that something has put a lock() on the screen. Finding out what couses this will be trickier and no workarond may be available (except for not running whatever patch or tool that is doing this)
One could use SnoopDos found on Aminet to find the offender but you'd have to be somewhat familliar with it to manage to start minimized and toggle the options to make it check for screen locks.

Last edited by smoorke; 07 May 2008 at 20:27.
Old 08 May 2008, 19:29   #4
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoorke View Post
Most likely reason for the intuition message is that something in your startup-sequence or user-startup has made output to the bootshell and iprefs is attempting to change the screenmode.
Ah, thats the info i needed.
When i read this i immediately realised that blizkick was the problem, as i didnt have the QUIET switch @ the end.

Cool, 1 problem solved, few more to go
Old 08 May 2008, 19:44   #5
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Are you using one of your own installs, or one of my ClassicWB packs with OS39?
I use a bit of everything i suppose

Its OS39 found in cloanto amiga forever 6, w/ magicwb installed and stripped of newicons. it has references to kingcon in the user-startup, but when i strip those the problem persists.

i think my opus4 comes from classicwb tho. or maybe amisys3? i really can't remember, but it sure has *tons* of options.
Quote:
I've never used boot pics with Workbench
Its quite cool to have a sexy pic of a girl about to take her panties off w/ an "Amiga OS3.9 ...loading..." message
Quote:
KCON: is an improved cli/shell interface I use in the ClassicWB packs for Workbench 3.0/3.1. It shouldn't be in any 3.9 version, as it has its own improved interface.
Strange. The SU-header has references to Cloanto Amiga Forever OS39, dated 13.03.2004 version 46.1
Quote:
If you've modified or copied over one of the 3.0/3.1 packs, then you'll need to enter the dopus config and remove any references to KCON: as an output window for the various functions and replace it with OS39's one (can't remember - is it VNC: ??)
CTAF OS39 comes w/ opus5, but i really hate it.
So, the opus4 i got sure came from some os30/31 package. All i got to do is change all KCON:'s to VNC:'s?
Quote:
As for the borders and the 1438 - no solution I'm afraid.
I thought so.
I'll stick to super72 800x300 then
Old 08 May 2008, 19:56   #6
Bloodwych

It sounds like a Dopus config from my ClassicWB packs, as AmigaSYS uses a different file manager.

Yeah, just replace any references to KCON: to either VNC: (for the fancy shell output window) or CON: (for the standard one, if you haven't unmounted it in your startup sequence!).
Old 08 May 2008, 20:00   #7
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
replace it with OS39's one (can't remember - is it VNC: ??)
I've only found one KCON: in opus4 so far, in system/amigados.

I've replaced it w/ VNC and VCN, but now it wants volume VNC

Not even sure if this is what I'm supposed to do - just thought I should update the above msg w/ this.

CON: does work

Thank you all for your help. Amiga isnt just the best computer ever built - It also has the best users cheers!
Old 08 May 2008, 20:09   #8
Bloodwych

LOL! I might have the letters wrong. Can't check as I'm posting from a laptop and don't have WinUAE on here.

It's useful as it has a scroll bar on the right hand side so you can look back at all the output.
Old 08 May 2008, 20:40   #9
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

alright bloodwych, ill check back later
Old 11 May 2008, 17:33   #10
Bloodwych

It is VNC: - ViNCEd. It's the standard shell interface that comes with OS3.9.

It should be in your "devs/dosdrivers" drawer for auto-mount and the icon to launch a window manually is found either on AmiDock or in the System drawer.

If it won't use VNC: as an output window then it's not getting mounted on boot for some reason.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:00   #11
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

thank you for all your help bloodwych