English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 November 2015, 02:17   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Power supply options A1200

What are some modern options for A1200 power supply replacements? I know you can hook up adapters to ATX PSU's but I don't want one sitting on my carpet. Does anyone make an enclosed / external unit to use with the adapter cables out there?
Old 14 November 2015, 02:30   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You must be very lucky, as the best Commodore enclosed Psu for Amiga ever made (1 unit) is available for sale right now:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...1200-psu-5v-6a

It uses internally an Ian Stedman's ATX adapter http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html (not for sale now) and the case is a new, (bought NOS) one for A1200's from Amiga Technologies: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68231.

The cable is shorter and thicker to avoid resistance.
The PSU is this http://www.o2xygen.com/photo/VLT6010...1001LF_001.pdf
and delivers 8A in the 5v line (more than Mechy's new PSU).

It can run a system with a BPPC/BVision/Idefix/Delfina/Clockport expander/Dvd drive/Subway and 5 fans...

If it weren't enough, the actuall seller is Stan. Everything he sells has been tried and inspected and his name is a warranty of quality.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 November 2015 at 14:27.
Old 14 November 2015, 05:16   #3
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
It uses internally an Ian Stedman's ATX adapter http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html (not for sale anymore)
New ones will be available soon. I Would recommend a solution using Stedy's picoPSU adapters and a picoPSU Power supply, both fitted internally on the Amiga.
Old 14 November 2015, 05:36   #4
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
New ones will be available soon. I Would recommend a solution using Stedy's picoPSU adapters and a picoPSU Power supply, both fitted internally on the Amiga.
He doesn't even say his specs, maybe it's an A1200 vanilla one, so I don't understand your advice/your post.

About Ian's products I hope so. These ATX adapters aren't available for long months... a year, more?
And now links have disappeared even. http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html . It was working a week ago -unavailable of course-, but you can check it by yourself.

Are you, Akira confident enough and will you be installing a pico PSU inside of one of your Amigas? I remember you recently posting you wanted an external psu.
Just out of curiosity, as it isn't easy, it takes room, you've got to desolder the psu plug in the Amiga and change it, but what's more, you don't need it with this fully prepared/fully tested PSU even if you've got a "monster" desktop Amiga where I tried this PSU after trying several ones along some years of research and buys.

Also, it is very hard to find an ATX psu actually mounted in an Amiga case like he says he wants -I don't remember any-, just like the one I'm selling.

Last edited by Retrofan; 14 November 2015 at 12:40.
Old 14 November 2015, 23:49   #5
Akira
Black Lives Matter

He says he has an A1200, what isn't clear about his post and my advice? If he has it towered or, as you say, "vanilla" (which I assume is desktop), my advice still applies: you can still install one internally. He never ever said he wanted an ATX PSU inside the machine. That would only fit a tower, if at all. picoPSUs are NOT ATX, they are mini ITX.

I have both my A1200 and my main A600 modified to use picoPSUs using Ian Stedman's adapters. Of course I am confident enough with this solution otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. The option you mentioned uses the same adapters, only inside an external box!

The facts are: It isn't hard to install (solder 4 wires), it doesn't take room (a little bit bigger than a CF IDE adapter with card), you DO NOT have to remove the older plug (I didn't in mine, I put the connector elsewhere) and I repeat, the solution you like so much is already based on Ian Stedman's adapters, so I don't see how this can be not realiable, unless you make the mistake to buy one of the fake picoPSUs because you're a cheapskate.

Where did you get the idea that this takes much space? I don't get it. This is my A600:

My only reasoning to look for some external supply at some point was that Stedy was out of stock and I had no power supplies. He said he sent new boards for production. One just has to wait patiently for more stock. I dread using bulky external power supplies. I'm still waiting for these adapters so I can convert two more A600s to internal picoPSU. There's absolutely nothing better IN MY OPINION.
Old 15 November 2015, 00:39   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've never said pico psus are a bad idea, I just tell that he asked for an enclosed external unit, so I was telling about the only one I know available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Does anyone make an enclosed / external unit to use with the adapter cables out there?
Yes, Pico psus are easy to install if you've got Ian's adapter, and you make another hole for the plug, but easier is just to plug mine that will work the same. Just my 2 cents.
Old 15 November 2015, 01:48   #7
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Dude:
Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603
What are some modern options for A1200 power supply replacements?
And that's exactly what I replied to.
Old 15 November 2015, 21:03   #8
illy5603

Thanks guys, I think my Amiga setup is listed in my signature. Far from vanilla, very hacked. I will post it here for those that have sigs turned off.

Amiga 1200, WB 3.1 running ClassicWB, Microbotics M1230 XA 68030/50 128 megs Ram, Indivision AGA, 4 Gig CF on IDEfix-97 / Express Combo with Doobrey CF patch, Amiga 500 PSU.

The reason I am inquiring is that I just received my motherboard back from a full recap service and it still doesn't work. It boots when first powered up but after about 20 seconds on workbench the screen freaks out and it will not reboot again. I have tried removing all of the add-on devices and it still only boots up for about 20 seconds and then I have to let it set for a while and it might boot again later for 20 more seconds. I am assuming the motherboard is shot but if it is just the PSU, that would save me a lot of money and effort.
Old 15 November 2015, 21:06   #9
illy5603

RE: pico PSU, nice, but I am looking for something to easily / cheaply troubleshoot an existing system. I am hoping that by this time next year the A1200 reloaded boards will be real and I will throw one of those into my Scoopex A1200 case from the kickstarter and be good to go.
Old 15 November 2015, 21:28   #10
Akira
Black Lives Matter

None of the new options are "cheap", so you might as well try to find a standard Amiga PSU to test out if your motherboard is screwed or not.
Old 15 November 2015, 21:47   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
And that's exactly what I replied to.
Yes, sorry Akira I understood he was asking for "modern options for A1200 power supply replacement" inside an "enclosed / external unit".

Quote:
... I have tried removing all of the add-on devices and it still only boots up for about 20 seconds and then I have to let it set for a while and it might boot again later for 20 more seconds. I am assuming the motherboard is shot but if it is just the PSU, that would save me a lot of money and effort.
Try another psu with that setup so you'll know if it's the mobo.

Anyway with all connected you surely need more than the stock A500 psu, so if you don't have another psu to try you can get another like mine or a pico psu or what you like as you'll need it later.

But two more things:
Quote:
RE: pico PSU, nice, but I am looking for something to easily / cheaply troubleshoot an existing system.
Here comes my solution (if you can't get another psu to try your vanilla system).

But:
Quote:
... I am hoping that by this time next year the A1200 reloaded boards will be real and I will throw one of those into my Scoopex A1200 case from the kickstarter and be good to go.
The new A1200 reloaded will use their owns psu's, just like the C64 reloaded, that's what I've heard. BTW I hope they will be able to support a lot of things attached.
Maybe I am wrong.

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 November 2015 at 22:32.
Old 16 November 2015, 21:37   #12
illy5603

Thanks retrofan. This power supply I currently have used to power this setup just fine for 3 years but that doesn't mean it is still working correctly. I will have access to some more power supplies on the 6th of December at our Amiga meeting. I guess I am lucky to live in the only city left in the USA with an active Amiga Users Group. I will report back, but right now it is really looking like motherboard.
Old 16 November 2015, 22:53   #13
emuola
Registered Whdload user

These are really state-of-the-art psu:s. Scroll down to see the AMiga models:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom%20ps.html

-Olli
Old 16 November 2015, 23:55   #14
Stedy

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post

About Ian's products I hope so. These ATX adapters aren't available for long months... a year, more?
And now links have disappeared even. http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/de...x_adaptor.html . It was working a week ago -unavailable of course-, but you can check it by yourself.
The order for the new batch of manufactured ATX adaptors got delayed but is now in progress, should have units available in December 2015, providing there are no shipping delays. Last units sold April 2015.

I don't know what section of my website you were trying to link to, the ATX adaptors and the Amiga PSU guide are detailed here, http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am...amiga_psu.html

I personally recommend the picoPSU as it's quiet (electrically and acoustically) and works with no load.

For a high power system, cut the Amiga power lead right down, 10-15 CM or wire directly to the motherboard. The original Amiga power lead is not great for high power systems due to the lead inductance and resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603
Thanks guys, I think my Amiga setup is listed in my signature. Far from vanilla, very hacked. I will post it here for those that have sigs turned off.

Amiga 1200, WB 3.1 running ClassicWB, Microbotics M1230 XA 68030/50 128 megs Ram, Indivision AGA, 4 Gig CF on IDEfix-97 / Express Combo with Doobrey CF patch, Amiga 500 PSU.

The reason I am inquiring is that I just received my motherboard back from a full recap service and it still doesn't work. It boots when first powered up but after about 20 seconds on workbench the screen freaks out and it will not reboot again. I have tried removing all of the add-on devices and it still only boots up for about 20 seconds and then I have to let it set for a while and it might boot again later for 20 more seconds. I am assuming the motherboard is shot but if it is just the PSU, that would save me a lot of money and effort.
Sounds like a power/reset problem. Do you have a multimeter and are you able to use it?

A measurement of the +5V rail on the Amiga would be good to know, see my guide linked to earlier. 20 seconds is about the Amiga reset time, it could be when it exits reset, the power supply dips and a brownout occurs. The other option is U49, which provides the power up reset is defective.

Another PSU is definitely worth trying first.

Ian
Old 17 November 2015, 00:02   #15
Stedy

Quote:

Where did you get the idea that this takes much space? I don't get it. This is my A600:

My only reasoning to look for some external supply at some point was that Stedy was out of stock and I had no power supplies. He said he sent new boards for production. One just has to wait patiently for more stock. I dread using bulky external power supplies. I'm still waiting for these adapters so I can convert two more A600s to internal picoPSU. There's absolutely nothing better IN MY OPINION.
Nice to see how my products are used. New products will be soon. Dealing with contract manufacturers for small volumes has been a hassle.

Ian
Old 17 November 2015, 14:18   #16
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
These are really state-of-the-art psu:s. Scroll down to see the AMiga models:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom%20ps.html

-Olli
Aren't those just two commercially available power supplies put together in a single enclosure along with some cabling?

I mean, if I were to pay that much for something, I'd at least expect a custom solution like Stedy's.
Old 17 November 2015, 18:17   #17
Akira
Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedy View Post
Nice to see how my products are used. New products will be soon. Dealing with contract manufacturers for small volumes has been a hassle.
Yeah I read your blog post but am SUPER STOKED that we can order new units soon! This time I will order a few extra just in case, plan for the future!
Thanks so much for your awesome work and for chipping in on this thread, Stedy!
Old 18 November 2015, 01:02   #18
pyksy

Try Mean Well RT or RPT series

Quote:
What are some modern options for A1200 power supply replacements?
Mean Well manufactures switching power supplies with universal 110-230V/50-60Hz AC inputs and +5V/+12V/-12V DC outputs and they fit nicely in the original Amiga PSU housing.

I replaced mine with a Mean Well RPT-60B (60 Watts) and it cost me less than 30 EUR here in Finland. It is way smaller than the Commodore original and it leaves lots of room for a fuse and wiring.

(The green connectors are not original)

A friend of mine replaced his dead A500 power supply with a Mean Well RT-50B, and I hear it fit snugly in the PSU housing after some very minor filing.

Last edited by pyksy; 18 November 2015 at 13:07. Reason: universal AC input
Old 18 November 2015, 19:46   #19
mr.spiv

Quote:
What are some modern options for A1200 power supply replacements? I know you can hook up adapters to ATX PSU's but I don't want one sitting on my carpet. Does anyone make an enclosed / external unit to use with the adapter cables out there?
I did this kind of "dirty" PicoPSU hack into the existing Amiga PSU case:
http://www.deadcoderssociety.net/pics/psu.jpg

Has worked OK and did not require modifications to the Amiga itself. I did use Ian Stedman's picoPSU adapter (great stuff).
Old 02 May 2016, 22:15   #20
jarp

I just finished my modern Amiga PSU. Must say that re-capping (or even fixing) old ones makes zero sense unless you are doing it for sports. I re-capped mine at first but then decided to upgrade to new PSU.

So, new PSU in question is Meanwell RT-50B which fits into original Amiga PSU enclosure without cutting it at all unlike somebody said. It was RT-40B which required cutting but RT-50B is smaller and has better specs. It actually has 105C Rubycon caps inside, huh.

I had to make adapter plate out of plastic to make it fit without making additional holes to the Amiga PSU. Since RT-50B has all the connectors on one side I had to extend either mains or secondary wires. I decided to extend mains wires as it allowed me to fix "design flaw" - power switch being on the back of the PSU! I think results are great?

Only problem I encountered was fuse as RT-50B does not include one. There just was not enough room for wall mounted fuse so I had to hack together internal fuse like you can see from the pics. Need to find smaller fuse holder, now it's big and clunky. But

Edit: Now, one could actually make PCB specifically for RT-50B. It should fit into different kind of Amiga PSUs and it should have screw holes for attaching RT-50B and perhaps RT-60B. It should also have screw terminals for +5V and -+12V on both sides and traces on the bottom to route them across the PCB. Mains would be connected directly to the PSU to avoid having to route safety earth which is always a bit bad practice. It would make upgrading Amiga PSU literally plug and play. Anyone?-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-02 16.00.07.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	48356   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-02 20.41.02.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	48357   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-02 21.31.15-1.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	48358   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-02 21.31.59.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	48359  

Last edited by jarp; 02 May 2016 at 22:23.