English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 23 March 2018, 21:59   #1
Matt_H

Building CCS/New Horizons/WCI catalog

Hello all,

For those who haven't yet seen, the fine team at Amiga Source Code Preservation recently uploaded the code for many products from CCS/New Horizons/WCI. This includes various iterations of Quarterback, some early floppy filesystems for DOS/Mac disks, various other utilities, and DesignWorks, a structured drawing program. One program, Flow, is an interesting outlining tool (comparable to Outline View on modern-day MS Word) that does not appear to be preserved elsewhere (not in its latest version, at least).

My skills as a coder are near nonexistent, but I've been trying to get the various packages to build without success. From what I can tell, the original developers used a Lattice (SAS) 5.10 environment. I've set up such an environment on one of my systems, but all the builds fail when the compiler can't find typedefs.h. It looks like this was a post-installation addition to the original developers' compiler setup.

I think this file will have to be rebuilt from scratch. I've seen other iterations of typedefs.h in other projects, but they are all different. Is there a "typical" example to start from for Amiga/Lattice/SAS?

Or maybe this is something that someone who knows what they are doing can figure out in 5 minutes?
Old 26 March 2018, 17:09   #2
Gilloo

Location: Grenoble, Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France, Europe, Earth
typedefs.h contains things like the following:
typedef struct Node Node ;
typedef Node * NodePtr ;
and so on... for a lot of structures... (there is a trick with Point... and 4.1 includes)

done the stuff for DesignWorks 1.0 and SAS/C 6.0 with 4.1 includes (I'm mc68k only).
Don't use existing makefile or batch files, perhaps they are specific for the initial use.
After 3 hours of battle with errors, the executable was ready.
Impressive thing: there is no float at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29497644_10216024677188418_6028079325328166795_n.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	57508  
Old 26 March 2018, 19:19   #3
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

@Gilloo

Sweet!
Old 27 March 2018, 08:05   #4
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloo View Post
typedefs.h contains things like the following:
typedef struct Node Node ;
typedef Node * NodePtr ;
and so on... for a lot of structures... (there is a trick with Point... and 4.1 includes)

done the stuff for DesignWorks 1.0 and SAS/C 6.0 with 4.1 includes (I'm mc68k only).
Don't use existing makefile or batch files, perhaps they are specific for the initial use.
After 3 hours of battle with errors, the executable was ready.
Impressive thing: there is no float at all!
Cool! It would be great if you could upload your modifications and fixes, either here or as a pull request to the git repo. https://gitlab.com/amigasourcecodepreservation
Old 09 April 2018, 10:29   #5
Gilloo

Location: Grenoble, Isère, Rhône-Alpes, France, Europe, Earth
QuickWrite 1.1.1 in french (because I am)
missing files:
- typedefs.h (same for DesignWorks 1.0)
- hotlinks/hotlinks.h
- arexx glue (pfff... rewrite the two tiny InitPort() and FreePort() routines)
by default, it compiles the swedish version

DesignWorks is 4K size less with direct library calls and optimizations.
I doubt it was existing with Lattice C5.10...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quickwrite_french.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	57745  

Last edited by Gilloo; 09 April 2018 at 20:46.
Old 09 April 2018, 22:01   #6
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilloo View Post
QuickWrite 1.1.1 in french (because I am)
missing files:
- typedefs.h (same for DesignWorks 1.0)
- hotlinks/hotlinks.h
- arexx glue (pfff... rewrite the two tiny InitPort() and FreePort() routines)
by default, it compiles the swedish version

DesignWorks is 4K size less with direct library calls and optimizations.
I doubt it was existing with Lattice C5.10...
That is great Gilloo. I just checked my mail and saw the DW-changes were there, will dig into them when I get some free time and get them into the source code repo.

The Swedish version - hey I like that!
Old 19 July 2018, 17:51   #7
ioguie

Working to compile Flow

Woo! This is very exciting. I discovered Flow last year after seeing the version that was bundled with ProWrite. (Hmm: why was ProWrite not part of this source code release?) I love outline processors and have been wanting to learn more of Flow, so this is very cool.

Anyway, I am taking a different approach to the other poster in this thread, and am working within the build system left to us in the repo. Just changing LC to SC, and changing its flags, and changing Blink to Slink, and changing its flags, goes a long way.

I've rebuilt a good portion of the Typedefs.h file, which is so far pretty rudimentary and simple.

I'm getting stuck, though, because there is a TrackGadgets() function which I can't find in any of the source files. It takes a function pointer as one of its arguments. It doesn't seem to be an OS function either. Any ideas?
Old 20 July 2018, 02:19   #8
ascp
Pastafarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioguie View Post
Woo! This is very exciting. I discovered Flow last year after seeing the version that was bundled with ProWrite. (Hmm: why was ProWrite not part of this source code release?) I love outline processors and have been wanting to learn more of Flow, so this is very cool.

Anyway, I am taking a different approach to the other poster in this thread, and am working within the build system left to us in the repo. Just changing LC to SC, and changing its flags, and changing Blink to Slink, and changing its flags, goes a long way.

I've rebuilt a good portion of the Typedefs.h file, which is so far pretty rudimentary and simple.

I'm getting stuck, though, because there is a TrackGadgets() function which I can't find in any of the source files. It takes a function pointer as one of its arguments. It doesn't seem to be an OS function either. Any ideas?

The designworks and quarteback folders are building with sas/c now and if you peek at how they were done, it should be easy and quick to build Flow to. (get the code from the git-repos, the aminet versions haven't been updated).

ProWrite has another copyright owner, Woody of SoftWood, who owned Final Writer etc. I have been trying to reach out there, but failed, no reply, if anyone has his contact details it would be awesome, and maybe we could get ProWrite out too.
Old 12 November 2018, 19:42   #9
terminills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascp View Post
The designworks and quarteback folders are building with sas/c now and if you peek at how they were done, it should be easy and quick to build Flow to. (get the code from the git-repos, the aminet versions haven't been updated).

ProWrite has another copyright owner, Woody of SoftWood, who owned Final Writer etc. I have been trying to reach out there, but failed, no reply, if anyone has his contact details it would be awesome, and maybe we could get ProWrite out too.
Don't expect much as Woody hated prowrite and only bought it to kill it.