English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2003, 17:09   #21
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

The problem I have with THG is that they CLAIM to be independant, but use benchmarks which are known to favour Intel based mobo's/CPU's. Other sites often have a fairly obvious bias one way or the other.

Hey Burseg, the full story would fill a web site vanshardware.com I recomend getting it straight from the guy it happened too!

Oh and Unknown_K, Nvidia IS 3DFx - or at least 80% of their R & D team is...
Old 10 February 2003, 18:38   #22
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Judging by how slow 3dfx's r&d turned out I dont think Nvidia's R&D team can be mostly from 3dfx.. where did the guys who designed the geforces go?

Unlike alot of other cards (first TNT etc) 3dfx cards ran great out of the box with shipping drivers with no artifacts on the screen. If your using NVIDIA cards your always changing drivers to get best performance.
Old 12 February 2003, 13:00   #23
Syko

The original team is still (75%) with Nvidia. AFAIK very few of them have left since the GeForce 256 chip was first produced. The 3DFx h/w guys where hired with the demise of 3DFx. Don't know about the s/w guys from 3DFx though...

Unfortunately the s/w guys are under staffed compared to the h/w, and they have to produce a universal windows driver that will work with ALL Nvidia cards from the first TNT's to the latest GF4's; where as 3DFx produced specific DOS level drivers.
Old 12 February 2003, 13:56   #24
Unknown_K

I dont think the FX cards fall under the unified drivers, DX9 is a major step forward in 3d api I think.

Whatever you say about 3dfx their drivers didnt need updating that much (unlike Nvidia). Then again they were the #1 undisputed 3d card for quite a while.
Old 14 February 2003, 15:26   #25
Syko

Give you good odds the FX does use the unified drivers...

Part of the reason the 3DFx drivers were stable and reliable from the start, was GLide. When you chuck 40% of the OpenGL instructions (especialy the ones that cause most stability probs) life is a lot easier for the driver writers...
Old 14 February 2003, 16:23   #26
jmmijo

Yes Glide may have been a proprietary API but the games that utilized it ran very smoothly and looked great, lots of eye candy.

I do however think that DirectX and OpenGL have finally surpassed what Glide can do now, both in the visual and general API areas.
Old 14 February 2003, 16:37   #27
Syko

Quote:
Yes Glide may have been a proprietary API but the games that utilized it ran very smoothly and looked great, lots of eye candy.
Definately! and for the same reason Amiga games got so much performance - optimisation for one system (OK Ami stuff hit the metal as well :-P )
Old 14 February 2003, 18:53   #28
Unknown_K

Well programmers love to write code specific to the machine thier on and do all kinds of fancy tricks. So when you upgrade your hardware you find alot of those apps/games crash because of those tricks. I have seen installs for sound card drivers crash because of stupid things like hard coded input timers that expire too fast on newer machines. Or doing tricks outside of the published specs for CGA games that look all screwed up on ega or better monitors (ok thats the dos world).

I do remember companies like creative doing a glide wraparound for thier non 3dfx products so they could play glide specific games.

One good thing about directx is that ever company doesnt go their own way in hardware (like a specific bump mapping was designated as standard for 3d games, same with texture compression, T&L etc) this way a game designer just picks the feature set and the game runs on multiple cards (some slower then others but it runs).
Old 17 February 2003, 12:43   #29
Syko

While I hate and detest the way Microscum do business, DirectX has forced the 3D apps and games to match a "standard" and has made tech support a hell of a lot easier!

But when bugs do occurr Ms deny any responsibility, or make the patch hard to find - one I had found to fix DX games dropping back to desktop when DX is triggered (like Age of Empires), now cann't be found using the same search parameters that I used originally. This is deliberate obsfucation by Ms because it is 'fixed' in DX9. It's not the only patch this has happened to, but it's the one that's pissing me off a lot coz I need it!
Old 17 February 2003, 16:10   #30
jmmijo

Have you tried to FTP to Microsoft's Software Library folder? Not sure if it will be listed in there are not however
Old 20 February 2003, 15:44   #31
Syko

It'l probably be listed by the 'Q' number which, without the search system bringing up the relevant article, is not so easy to use.
Old 20 February 2003, 15:57   #32
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Syko
It'l probably be listed by the 'Q' number which, without the search system bringing up the relevant article, is not so easy to use.
True, but I beleive they have a huge files listing in there as well stating what each filename is and contains