English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 January 2009, 23:49   #1
Old Fool
Zone Friend

75 Ohm Antenna To Rgb Cable

I have two black antenna to RGB cables. Those came with the Amiga's 520 adaptor so you can attach Amiga to TV.

My question is can you use these wires with an stereo amplifier? Combining these two cables with a female RCA-plug I actually get a cable with both ends antenna connector. I just doubt could this kind of cable used as an ordinary antenna cable? Any ideas?
Old 30 January 2009, 00:02   #2
meega

Those black leads are not RGB cables, they are RF/UHF leads and they are not of particularly good quality. How do you intend connecting them to your stereo amplifier, quite what do you have in mind?
Old 30 January 2009, 00:12   #3
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by meega View Post
Those black leads are not RGB cables, they are RF/UHF leads and they are not of particularly good quality. How do you intend connecting them to your stereo amplifier, quite what do you have in mind?
OK, thanks for the correction. So this cable is way different than FM LW/MW cable?

Well, in my 1977 Pioneer stereo amplifier have the same kind of antenna hole that this cable fits. When connecting these two cables the other side fits also to my antenna hole in the wall. This maybe one hell of a stupid idea even to ask but it's always good to hear someone's opinions that knows things better!

Is the reason for the bad quality the fact that this cable is thinner than an ordinary antenna cable?
Old 30 January 2009, 00:30   #4
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

You have connected both RCA ends with a female RCA to female RCA adaptor?

If so, yes, of course this will work as an antenna cable if it fits your connectors.

Funny though, here in AU antenna cables usually have a male & female end...not the same on both ends.

PZ.
Old 30 January 2009, 00:36   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Funny though, here in AU antenna cables usually have a male & female end...not the same on both ends.

PZ.
That's the best way to have them. To get an extension lead is easy - you just buy another when they are configured like that!
Old 30 January 2009, 00:53   #6
meega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
OK, thanks for the correction. So this cable is way different than FM LW/MW cable?
No, not necessarily way different at all, it's a coax cable... but it's not brilliant for any purpose. It's just a cheapo lead to connect the low-grade UHF output of the A520 modulator to a TV set when you have no better way to see the picture.

Quote:
Well, in my 1977 Pioneer stereo amplifier have the same kind of antenna hole that this cable fits. When connecting these two cables the other side fits also to my antenna hole in the wall. This maybe one hell of a stupid idea even to ask but it's always good to hear someone's opinions that knows things better!
I'm 100% certain that it will work, but it won't offer the best quality. Almost any cheapish off-the-reel coax cable of medium grade from a hardware store and a pair of proper end-connectors will be better. It might be good enough for your needs, but not a lot of money spent on parts can buy much better than those leads.

Quote:
Is the reason for the bad quality the fact that this cable is thinner than an ordinary antenna cable?
No, the characteristic impedance is determined (almost exclusively) by the (relative) physical dimensions of the lead (and connectors) - thin can be as good as thick. It's just that the standard lead is a darn cheap one.

Old 30 January 2009, 13:33   #7
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Thank you for interesting answers, especially to Meega.

Now when I've sleep over the night this idea seems to be a bit silly. I'm pretty sure the sound quality is not as good as using a proper antenna cable. The biggest reason to my quest was that I haven't been able to find a black 75 ohm cable nowhere! They're all white available in the stores here...

Well I must buy a white sheep then!
Old 30 January 2009, 14:28   #8
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I'll bet you'd never even notice the difference...listening to a radio station.

PZ.