English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 January 2010, 00:48   #1
mrbob2

Is retro gaming becoming retro?

The reason i ask is because when i had an amiga, it could emulate a spectrum which at the time was a retro computer. Then i moved to the pc which could also emulate the spectrum, and (im still thankful to this day) our beloved amiga. The playstation came next and the pc could emulate that as the psone is now condidered retro.

However, we seem to have hit a brick wall with emulators as the ps2 (as far as im aware) is still impossible to emulate properly. I have managed to run timesplitters at full speed but gran turismo 4 is probably never going to happen. The psp is getting on a bit but unable to emulate on the pc at any playable speed.

So in a few years when the ps4 comes out, its very doubtful that people will even bother with a ps3 emulator. So does this mean that there will be no future retro gaming systems?

The only way to play ps3 GTAIV in on the original ps3 :-(
Old 17 January 2010, 00:53   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

PS3 is quite capable of PS2 emulation. (Earlier models have it built in, some have it software based) The reason your PC cant do it afaik is because Sony slap-down anyone attempting to make emulators for it, as no doubt they see it as a potential revenue stream for themselves.

Either that or you need a faster PC
Old 17 January 2010, 01:01   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
My old dog of a PC can emulate PS2 games (such as Grand Theft Auto 3) at around 15fps maybe even better now I have a better video card. So if you have a top end quad core processor, plenty of ram and a ATI 5870 or Nvidia GTX285 you must be able to get full speed PS2 emulation...

Edit...

Tell you what even on my old rig its not far off playable with my GTX260 2gig ram and 2.2ghz AMD X2 its running at 35fps with slow down to mid 20's so not really playable... But hey its progress... (Just tested GTA Vice City Stories with PCSX2)

Last edited by fitzsteve; 17 January 2010 at 01:15.
Old 17 January 2010, 23:56   #4
mrbob2

I have a Dell XPS420 Its 3gb, quad Q6600 cpu and 8800 gt card. It handles GTAIV and modern games with ease. Just never had much fun with ps2 emu. I think of the top of my head each game needs certain settings and ive not really fiddled as much as i can due to the psx2 emu being a beta. Ive thought recently about ps2 emu/playing the games again and to be honest, i dont really get nostalgic about the ps2 in the same way i did after 10 years since the amiga/speccy/ps1 had passed. I guess thats because the games i used to play on ps2, pro evo 6, race driver, silent hill 2 3 4, gta 3 and vice city were all ironically owned on the pc and were much better games for it. Better resolution etc. Maybe the ps2 isnt quite retro yet........
Old 18 January 2010, 00:08   #5
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

you are asking a lot more of any emulator to replicate the PS2 than was ever asked of any Spectrum emulator!! It shouldnt be that surprising to find that the latter took less time to deveop

i think the time between machine release and 100% emulation will continue to widen as the machines get more complex, but, ultimately, anything can/will be emulated.