English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 August 2002, 02:40   #141
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg

At the university, in our department's lab, we have flash mx installed on every computer but it doesn't work on two computers at once because we're using a pirated serial number and flash can detect another .exe running on the network with the same serial#. So we disconnect the network cables, work with flash, save our work, reconnect the network and send the files to the server
Just disable the network connection fromthe OS instead of fussing around with the cables in the back of the computer all the time.
Old 31 August 2002, 03:30   #142
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

How much you guys wanna bet a year from now hopeless doofuses are going to be asking: "Is the AmigaOne out in stores yet?"?

Old 31 August 2002, 03:44   #143
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
How mony even know about it now.

think www.slashdot.com probably mentioned it so all the linux people know about it anyway.
Old 31 August 2002, 04:14   #144
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg

At the university, in our department's lab, we have flash mx installed on every computer but it doesn't work on two computers at once because we're using a pirated serial number and flash can detect another .exe running on the network with the same serial#. So we disconnect the network cables, work with flash, save our work, reconnect the network and send the files to the server
Bowahahaahha! I didnt check at my univ but a similar situation must be going on (except that they did the right thing and got a proper serial :P)
Samecrap happened with Flash 5, mind you... but only when you installed it. It never checked again.
Old 31 August 2002, 04:20   #145
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo

Just disable the network connection fromthe OS instead of fussing around with the cables in the back of the computer all the time.
After all these years without an Amiga. I would have thought that the best plan would not be a barebones PowerPC board with no upgrade path for the CPU. For Amigas having a processor upgrade path was always an option. Why fool with a proven technique that encourages 3rd party processor upgrades? Seems shortsighted.
Old 03 September 2002, 15:07   #146
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

AmigaOne, if that chimera ever rears its already passe' head, will be nigh worthless. Old software/games can't run on it, alienating the die hards that are Amiga Inc's ONLY customers let alone core. And tell me, who is going to buy a machine that has only 2 dozen or so Professionally designed programs being made for it? This alienates the newbies.
Lets get this clear. Amiga STINK is a poor ass bitch of computing.

Last edited by Fred the Fop; 03 September 2002 at 15:20.
Old 03 September 2002, 17:30   #147
IanS

The majority of, for example, Microsoft's business comes not from home users, but from business... Site licencing etc, for both apps and O/S sales. As pointed out, many home users don't buy software, they pirate it. Often from work. Who can blame them with todays inflated prices? The fact still remains that the majority of software sold or licenced is application software, mainly in the business sector. Home users tend to buy games, but then I would argue that the PCs popularity in the home stems originally from it's use as a business machine. Historically, people wanted to work on the same software they use at work, because they are familiar with it. Employers want people who are familiar with the "Industry standard" software, such as Windoze, Office etc... hence the shift from 'Computer Studies', to 'Information Technology' in acedemic circles in Britain and a lot of Europe. It's growth as a games machine has been, until fairly recently, a secondary factor. The last of the 'true' home computers, such as the Amiga and Atari machines died out because the PC was the industry standard. Bad marketing etc, etc. A great shame, but still true.
Old 04 September 2002, 17:06   #148
scifi
Resurrected...

@IanS

I totaly agree with you! Hardware without software support is a hopeless case. Take for example Acorn Archimedes.
This promissing piece of equipment was really put aside from the major software companies of this era because Commodore and Atari struggled to throw this new rival out of the market.

Unfortunately, Amiga carries the image of the 'ultimate' game machine in the minds of many people. Something that is not easily erased with new 'tricks'.

Akira, you're an exception and I'm really glad that there are still many Amiga users who see the Miggy as a professional tool. But they are not so many!

Bad marketing, reckless management of economics and massive doses of arrogance lead Commodore to bankruptcy.
New, promissing plans are all end up to failure because the market runs with the speed of light and what is 'hot' for today is 'crup' for tomorrow.

I know that Macs were in the verge of extinction, but Jobbs managed to pull an ace out of his sleeve and save Apple Computers. Many engineers and musicians and architects used Macs for their profession but they still use them because Apple is trying to give more and more handy tools to make their life easier.

OK, Power PCs are more powerfull than Pentiums but if software companies for any reason decide to support Intel chipsets, the ballance will lean for the supported.
Old 04 September 2002, 17:32   #149
IanS

Lost opportunities

Thanks SciFi

There's certainly been a lot of revolutionary hardware and software that have died a premature death. Not because of there being anything wrong with them, but just not getting enough software support. The BeBox/BeOS combination should have had more acclaim too.
Old 04 September 2002, 19:04   #150
IanS

There I was about to pontificate even more to the masses (ie you lot) about all those missed opportunities... when work drags me away. Lucky for you!

Any ideas about other platforms that 'SHOULD' have made a big impact on the computing world, but didn't? I don't mean individual programs, rather hardware and O/S setups.
Old 04 September 2002, 19:11   #151
scifi
Resurrected...

What about Atari Jaguar?

Born to make the big difference but was completely slaughtered by the software!
Old 04 September 2002, 19:16   #152
Unknown_K

I always thaught desqview would have caught on in the PC platform, and OS/2 should have been more popular then it was.

For the Mac A/UX was a great idea that was ahead of its time (unix with mac os kind of like OSX but much earlier).

guess GEM and GEOS for the PC also
Old 05 September 2002, 00:58   #153
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Steve Job's NEXT step OS, an amzing piece of engineering, has many elements incorporated in Mac OS X. I am gushing over the new Jagaur. If this OS does not make you want a MAC, no OS will.
Light years ahead of anything else.
As for BeOS [or was it OS/2?], was that not a IBM/MS project that MS killed to get the kernel, which it uses in NT, 2000 and XP?
Sci Fi, you speak brilliantly. Poor Jaguar, nobody coded for it. I think it was a bit to advanced for its time. And, it was ugly as sin. The tacky slash and bulky joypad, etc.
Old 05 September 2002, 03:06   #154
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Steve Job's NEXT step OS, an amzing piece of engineering...
Lets not forget the NeXt hardware. Optical drives, excellent networking and display postscript was a marvel. Too bad it never saw a PowerPC.
Old 05 September 2002, 03:19   #155
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well, Oscar, the hardware end I am not as familiar with, dude. I think I'll do a Google mission
Whioa, heck with that. I'm going to boot my iBook and use Sherlock. The newest edition is ...indescribable. You try it yet?
Old 05 September 2002, 03:28   #156
Unknown_K

The NEXT boxes didnt sell well because they were ALOT more expensive then the next best solution from what I remember. Would be nice to add one to my collection.
Old 05 September 2002, 04:50   #157
Oscar Castillo

The NeXT systems didn't sell wel to end users. But they were a hit with developers. It was far too much, too soon. Stuff we are seeing today in OS X, but slightly modified came from NeXT.
When Jobs left Apple he took the style and clearly the genius engineers with him. I mean these systems were beautiful and powerful!! Take your pick!!! I am a wealth of NeXT info and pictures, so if anyone want to see more including the actual NeXT Cube brochure in PDF let me know. It's too big to attach.
When I make more deskspace I'll set up my NeXT Cube and snap a pic of it.
Old 05 September 2002, 06:58   #158
Pyromania

Quote:

I love my 16 bit games. Amiga, Atari ST, Megadrive, SNES,etc.
My fave genre is flight sims. Thats why I bought my Atari St. For Falcon, Knits of the Sky, etc. Being a rabid Flight sim fan, I will inform you that Amiga/Atari St flight sims don't hold a candle to my PC flight sims. Not even close. Why? I explained this before. Realism. The intense physics models and damage models, speed and VERY bitchy control needed by the truest flight sims need the hardware of my P3 800 GeForce ti 4200. I despise Windows and guarantee, were it not for my beloved flight sims I would stick to my iBook.
What are your Fav. Flight Sims?
Old 05 September 2002, 07:06   #159
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hell yeah Pyro. I loved 'em since the 16 bit era. I never could find a good one in my Sega and Super Nintendos, so I bought my pal's Atari STE (he upped to a Amiga 1200) just to play Blue Max. I was so depressed Red Baron never made it to the ST. My faves on the PC are Il-2 Sturmovik, near perfect a game could be, and European Air War, great for customizing. Oh and Rown's last game, Battle of Britain.
Old 05 September 2002, 12:25   #160
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Hell yeah Pyro. I loved 'em since the 16 bit era. I never could find a good one in my Sega and Super Nintendos, so I bought my pal's Atari STE (he upped to a Amiga 1200) just to play Blue Max. I was so depressed Red Baron never made it to the ST. My faves on the PC are Il-2 Sturmovik, near perfect a game could be, and European Air War, great for customizing. Oh and Rown's last game, Battle of Britain.
Damn! I was thinking of Blue Max the other bay, but the C64 version. That was nice! Never played the Amiga version. You cannot forget F16-Falcon or F18A Hornet.