Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 April 2009, 13:57   #21
MoogleLally
Raised on Superfrog.

Send a message via AIM to MoogleLally
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Nice piccies mate! How about some in daylight

I still say, you'll need to replace the caps or at least some of them. They will leak from the bottom and some you wont be able to check 'cause the cap is seated right on top of the leakage and can't been seen. Check around all caps to see if there is any surface damage to the mobo, a bit like an acid burn.

Good luck with the miggie mate, and I hope you have hours of immense fun with it, whether gaming or modding
But the daystar burns us! Hissss!

Okay, now when you say "caps"... what are we talkin' about?
Old 07 April 2009, 14:18   #22
DH
Global Moderator

Capacitors, the blue and brown things that usually stand up on the board with two legs

Like these

Old 07 April 2009, 14:38   #23
blade002
Zone Friend

Welcome Lauren Nice to have another female Amiga gamer in our midst, you will find as i am sure you already have many of the people here very helpful!
Old 07 April 2009, 16:08   #24
MoogleLally
Raised on Superfrog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Capacitors, the blue and brown things that usually stand up on the board with two legs
Ohhh. Okay, that makes the most sense, since they seem to be the most prevalent thing inside the case next to chips. heh. Now I know the slang!

Also, isn't there a battery I should look out for? I peeked around a bit last night but I must admit, I might not have been paying enough attention.
Old 07 April 2009, 16:11   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

IIRC the A500 itself has no battery. The battery is on the memory expansion, so you should have a look before you put it in
Old 07 April 2009, 16:35   #26
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
IIRC the A500 itself has no battery. The battery is on the memory expansion, so you should have a look before you put it in
Your memory serves you well.
Old 07 April 2009, 16:41   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Your memory serves you well.
Hey, that's what Doom3 told me when I entered IDDQD...
Thanks for confirming seuden
Old 07 April 2009, 17:03   #28
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoogleLally View Post
Ohhh. Okay, that makes the most sense, since they seem to be the most prevalent thing inside the case next to chips. heh. Now I know the slang!

Also, isn't there a battery I should look out for? I peeked around a bit last night but I must admit, I might not have been paying enough attention.
There'll be plenty more slang coming that you'll not be used to Sorry mate! I should of been more clear, not everyone knows some of these slang words that get used

And just what TCD says, the battery is on the memory expansion, you can remove it and bypass the circuit for it, as it's only there to keep the correct time and date, but for me it's worth replacing if it's gone pfzzzzzzt, especially if you intend adding that HDD from your father, who I'm sure will part with it to save an A500 in need
Old 07 April 2009, 18:22   #29
MoogleLally
Raised on Superfrog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh! Man, I'm learnin' stuff left and right. Thanks to EVERYONE for helping me out.

Now to try to make sense of this whole porting game files from PC to Amiga business. I tried reading the wiki on it, but it kinda launches straight into the technical terms and anagrams and the like... Not asking for anyone to hold my hand, I just need to slog through it.
Old 08 April 2009, 05:07   #30
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Welcome Lauren Nice to have another female Amiga gamer in our midst, you will find as i am sure you already have many of the people here very helpful!
ahh at least one guy seeing she is a girl. lol (no lucky guy here ). Isn't it Cyberdruid ?
Old 08 April 2009, 06:02   #31
MoogleLally
Raised on Superfrog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
ahh at least one guy seeing she is a girl. lol (no lucky guy here ). Isn't it Cyberdruid ?
heh, and here I thought the Lally part of my user name was a dead giveaway.
Old 08 April 2009, 07:45   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Isn't it Cyberdruid ?
Uhm, yeah... guess that's a valid point But you also know the confusion caused by lolafg

Welcome to EAB Lauren I'm sure you'll find the crazy bunch here quite helpful in terms of Amiga thingies Don't ask about real life... we certainly have no clue
Old 08 April 2009, 09:30   #33
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Yes we DO have a clue TCD!

Hi again guys, I'm actually back from Real Life, spending a one month trip there. It did change quite a bit since my last visit. Didn't take much pictures tho' sorry...

Welcome Lauren! Hope you'll enjoy your stay on, let's be honest- the greatest board of the Interwebz! You can blindly follow these guys' advices...they're the greatest rocket scientists/NASA engineers I've ever met

From my (very noobish) point of view, you are indeed lucky of finding an A500 in a great shape!

Pay us a visit in the Off-Topic section when you got some free time; it's full of , and , sometimes even , but in the end it's always full of and , right guys?