Indy Heat

Hi all,
Indy Heat was one of my Amiga favorite game
But only now i've realized how this game was ahead of its time
Why?The 4th cars had KERS
Old 08 June 2009, 17:40   #2
mailman
Zone Friend

Maybe I am the one who do not get it. Could you please elaborate on that? What is going on with that KERS?
Old 08 June 2009, 17:58   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
What is going on with that KERS?
KERS=Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_braking

Nice "find" Zambot.
Old 08 June 2009, 18:48   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Indy Heat is a quality game!

Really good in multiplayer, although it takes far too much planning to get all three player to the end (and any player who uses up a 'credit' by coming third early on tends to get far too much of an advantage!)

That;s something i'd like to try fixing with a whdload-slave tooltype some time!
Old 08 June 2009, 19:08   #5
skateblind
Village Idiot

Do it Horace!
Old 08 June 2009, 19:09   #6
fryguy

Can you use a 4playeradapter with Indy Heat?
Old 08 June 2009, 20:19   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
Can you use a 4playeradapter with Indy Heat?
no... the third player is on keyboard controls.

i guess thats -another- thing that could be added in the whd slave!

/me goes to look at the source, to see if he has the skills to implemement his own suggestions
Old 08 June 2009, 23:44   #8
fryguy

@Hungry Horace: It would be really nice to able to use joystick for all 3 players
Old 10 June 2009, 01:47   #9
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Really good in multiplayer, although it takes far too much planning to get all three player to the end (and any player who uses up a 'credit' by coming third early on tends to get far too much of an advantage!)

That;s something i'd like to try fixing with a whdload-slave tooltype some time!

i've managed to work out how to do this funnily enough, with a "3 player friendly patch" which removes the unfair $150,000 bonus but gives everybody 5 coins to play with.

It does still need tooltypeifying, and I might as well make it into a general coins/money trainer as well while i'm at it.

I havent worked out where the player 3 input routine is yet though, and that may take me some time, so dont hold your breath fryguy, although know that I am working on it!
Old 10 June 2009, 07:25   #10
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
i've managed to work out how to do this funnily enough, with a "3 player friendly patch" which removes the unfair $150,000 bonus but gives everybody 5 coins to play with.
Awesome, that would make it much more suitable for the lemon/eab comp, (its a fav of mine!!)

The only other issue is you only get a score (avg mph) if you complete all the tracks... (IIRC) any chance to make a screen to display avg mph and last track completed when someone bombs out???
Old 10 June 2009, 12:45   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I havent worked out where the player 3 input routine is yet though, and that may take me some time, so dont hold your breath fryguy, although know that I am working on it!
If player 3 is controlled with the keyboard only just look for the keyboard routine/interrupt ($68.w, $bfec01 etc) and look for the key codes Player 3 uses. Shouldn't be too hard to find then.
Old 10 June 2009, 18:53   #12
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Awesome, that would make it much more suitable for the lemon/eab comp, (its a fav of mine!!)

The only other issue is you only get a score (avg mph) if you complete all the tracks... (IIRC) any chance to make a screen to display avg mph and last track completed when someone bombs out???
I don't see how it would make the game better for the EAB/Lemon competition since it is a patch for when 3 people are playing on the same machine at the same time. By the sounds of it, 1 player mode will still be the same.
Old 10 June 2009, 19:35   #13
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
If player 3 is controlled with the keyboard only just look for the keyboard routine/interrupt ($68.w, $bfec01 etc) and look for the key codes Player 3 uses. Shouldn't be too hard to find then.

i thought this, then it occurred to me that i dont really understand how things work with regards to pressing multiple key-presses (e.g. left and accelerate together)... i've certainly found a keyboard routine, and i'm fishing around it looking for something that picks up the right values

Certainly the keyboard code does not look as friendly as the one in Cybernoid!

@ mihcael - I agree with skateblind on this. not sure how the function will help that much - although you're welcome to use it in a competition anyway! It will still affect 1 player mode (i.e, no unfair bonus for LOSERS!), but dont you lose your championship points when you use a credit up anyway? Surely you'd be rating your competition on bother championshop points -and- average speed?

There's no chance i'm adding an extra screen! (sorry, i'm not that good!) cant you just use the one that shows championship points thus far? (taking your screenshot when you fail by finishing third)
Old 10 June 2009, 19:49   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
i thought this, then it occurred to me that i dont really understand how things work with regards to pressing multiple key-presses (e.g. left and accelerate together)... i've certainly found a keyboard routine, and i'm fishing around it looking for something that picks up the right values
RKM

I think they are OR'd together.. Though this is from memory and I've not looked in like forever and never did anything much with it!
Old 10 June 2009, 21:17   #15
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
... It will still affect 1 player mode (i.e, no unfair bonus for LOSERS!), but dont you lose your championship points when you use a credit up anyway? Surely you'd be rating your competition on bother championshop points -and- average speed?

There's no chance i'm adding an extra screen! (sorry, i'm not that good!) cant you just use the one that shows championship points thus far? (taking your screenshot when you fail by finishing third)
no unfair bonus for LOSERS! Thats the point and why i think it will make a fairer comp.

I will have to play the game again, i didnt think there was any score unless you finished!
Old 10 June 2009, 21:36   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

dont press fire when the podium screen comes up. wait for the next one.

also, i cant find these bloody keycodes, in spite of finding the keyboard routine!