English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 April 2007, 23:19   #21
MethodGit

As soon as I get enough spare time I'll redraw my maps in a more neater form and send them along. I'm currently thinking whether it'd be easier to hand-draw them and scan them to the PC, or try to mouse-draw them in something like MS Paint or Paint Shop Pro.
Old 06 May 2007, 16:39   #22
cavedweller2000

Bravo MethodGit. It's good that someone has taken the time to explain a lot of things with this perplexing game. In my opinion, this is one of the scariest games i have ever played. I first played this when i was 6 or something, and now i'm 22, and the manta rays still freak me out everytime they suddenly appear lol.

On a seperate note, has anyone managed to successfully play this on WinUAE? Whenever i tried playing it, it froze every time it required a disk change. I also tried playing it on winfellow, but it has inferior sound and i was unable to save the game (which i'm sure we all agree is a necessity with this game).

The furthest I have got in this game is wandering aimlesssly around Midian. I never even got to the chasms. Will also be waiting for your map to midian. Kepp up the good work man!

Old 09 May 2007, 16:29   #23
Poor Student

Quest for the Time-Bird is now occupying me like Night Breed is occupying Method Git!
Old 07 September 2007, 02:10   #24
TheClues

Hello all,

MethodGit's rants about this game made me remember how much it used to p*ss me off when I was about 12 (they also made me laugh). The manta rays are probably the hardest test of hand / eye co-ordination I've ever had the sodding misfortune of bothering with. However, I decided to persevere with this bag of sh*t game and finally got it completed, about 16 years after I first played it. There is no solution / map that I can find on the internet, and I did think about putting one up on IGN or something similar, but I thought I'd see if anyone here is interested first. I did map out the Midian caves so if anyone is sado-masochistic enough to bother doing it themselves then post back to this and I'll try and get around to putting them up. For anyone that can't be arsed (and I suggest you shouldn't be) I've also whacked up the end game sequence on You Tube:

[ Show youtube player ]

It's an incredible feat of graphic and musical artistry that made it all worthwhile as you can see. After that it just goes back to the main title screen where it promises "Your life is about to change". They were right there, I turned it off and my life got significantly better.

I gained more satisfaction in remembering that Ocean went bankrupt, probably due to pushing this kind of toxic mind numbing filth on youngsters.

Strangely, I'd grown kind of fond of this abysmal bag of shab - I'll miss not having it to loathe.

Old 07 September 2007, 08:24   #25
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClues View Post
Hello all,

MethodGit's rants about this game made me remember how much it used to p*ss me off when I was about 12 (they also made me laugh). The manta rays are probably the hardest test of hand / eye co-ordination I've ever had the sodding misfortune of bothering with. However, I decided to persevere with this bag of sh*t game and finally got it completed, about 16 years after I first played it. There is no solution / map that I can find on the internet, and I did think about putting one up on IGN or something similar, but I thought I'd see if anyone here is interested first. I did map out the Midian caves so if anyone is sado-masochistic enough to bother doing it themselves then post back to this and I'll try and get around to putting them up. For anyone that can't be arsed (and I suggest you shouldn't be) I've also whacked up the end game sequence on You Tube:

[ Show youtube player ]

It's an incredible feat of graphic and musical artistry that made it all worthwhile as you can see. After that it just goes back to the main title screen where it promises "Your life is about to change". They were right there, I turned it off and my life got significantly better.

I gained more satisfaction in remembering that Ocean went bankrupt, probably due to pushing this kind of toxic mind numbing filth on youngsters.

Strangely, I'd grown kind of fond of this abysmal bag of shab - I'll miss not having it to loathe.
Alas, Ocean didn't go bankrupt, they merged with Infogrammes.
Old 19 October 2007, 00:31   #26
Bolch

I've just completed this game.

I must admit I haven't used the "Savestate" option this often since Smash Tv. I have really no idea what the designers thought when they made this game (and I send my kind regards to the guy who came up with the "avoid the laser sight" and "get to the top of the chasm" subgames). The shame is, it SHOULD have been a good game, if they'd made it a little more playable and include a save option.
Old 15 November 2007, 20:59   #27
MethodGit

Did one of you guys happen to upload the ending onto this site recently by any chance?

Still, I'm more interested in how the befuzzle you managed to get to the end in the first place. Like I said before, I got stuck after a while with no clue as to what to do with my new-found powers and slav---I mean, rescued hostages. I'd quite like to know if there was a proper final boss and whether he/she/it was much cop at all in the long run.
Old 15 November 2007, 21:16   #28
Bolch

After you spoke with Baphomet, you have to gather the five Nightbreeds scattered around the levels. You can find them in dead ends where nothing has been before (I draw a map but I don't have a scanner so I cannot pinpoint their exact location here... There are three on the second level of Midian and two on the upper level.)

You get a sort of "final battle", since you have to cross a rope bridge to get to one of the Nightbreeds, and on the bridge you'll meet again with Mask. It's the same "avoid the knives" game as before... after a while, the bridge will supposedly collapse below him and he disappears. (You won't get any cutscene or picture to show what happens to him, so it's only a guess.)

After you have gathered all of the five Nightbreeds, you must go to the end of the corridor in the south-west corner of the upper level. (There's ABSOLUTELY no indication that you have to go there, mind you.) If you get to the end of the corridor - where nothing has happened before -, you'll suddenly get the end-sequence. Congratulations! You completed the game!

Sounds good, doesn't it?
Old 16 November 2007, 23:23   #29
MethodGit

Oh, so it basically degenerated into a "navigate round every nook and cranny of the catacombs again, including the places you assumed were pointless dead ends" mini-final-quest? Laaaaaaaaame.

I encountered Mask on the rope bridge before, but don't recall the bridge collapsing after dodging all his knives. I just assumed I'd encounter him again at a later point after that.

These important dead-ends don't include the ones where you had to go through more of those horrible, horrible Dodge-The-Laser-Sight games just to get to them, right? Please tell me it's not that cruel.
Old 16 November 2007, 23:44   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

You lot are mad!

I can't believe I WHDLoaded this mess, and that you are actually playing it.

20,000 Kudos points for tolerating it for so long.

Interactive my arse!
Old 16 November 2007, 23:59   #31
Bolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post

These important dead-ends don't include the ones where you had to go through more of those horrible, horrible Dodge-The-Laser-Sight games just to get to them, right? Please tell me it's not that cruel.
No, if I remember correctly, if you go to the five dead-ends AFTER you spoke with Baphomet, you'll only find the Nightbreeds instead of the laser sights...
Old 18 November 2007, 17:24   #32
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You lot are mad!

I can't believe I WHDLoaded this mess, and that you are actually playing it.

20,000 Kudos points for tolerating it for so long.

Interactive my arse!
Hahah! Say, did you ever manage to complete it yourself? Just wondering how far your WHDTesting on this mind-destroying dreck extended to.
Old 18 November 2007, 17:45   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Hahah! Say, did you ever manage to complete it yourself? Just wondering how far your WHDTesting on this mind-destroying dreck extended to.
I scanned through the code to fix the blit problems, I ripped it to files, and the copylock protection was a joke.

That was all I did with it, absolutely hopeless as a 'game'.
Old 23 November 2007, 03:22   #34
MethodGit

Sounded quite simple then!

I must add btw, that I had been playing this with floppies, because as mentioned before, the WHDLoad version kept crashing out on me at a certain point each time. That and I wanted to be able to utilise savestates without any additionial problems.
Old 23 November 2007, 09:18   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Sounded quite simple then!

I must add btw, that I had been playing this with floppies, because as mentioned before, the WHDLoad version kept crashing out on me at a certain point each time. That and I wanted to be able to utilise savestates without any additionial problems.
I've never received a bug report for Nightbreed. I can't fix what I don't know about
Old 23 November 2007, 10:01   #36
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

You could force yourself to play it through
Old 23 November 2007, 10:31   #37
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
You could force yourself to play it through
That my friend is never going to happen
Old 26 November 2007, 00:21   #38
cavedweller2000

After 12 years of trying, I have finally completed this damn-near impossible game. I also had to draw myself a map to make sure i didn't get lost. (it was easier to draw it than i thought it would be).

I found out a few things the hard way, but I will share them with you guys so you don't give up on the game. I didn't realise (until i drew the map) that Levels 1 and 2 have the exact same mapping as levels 4 and 5. It makes sense when you think you go DOWN two levels, and then you go back UP two levels. But giving this game's weird gameplay, you can't take anything for granted!

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but each specific 'mini-game' is on the same screen everytime you enter midian. It is NOT randomised everytime. For instance, if you face a sniper at a certain screen, then that sniper will be there every single time without fail. (until you reach the bottom level and work your way back up, then they have all changed places).

I notice a few posts ago that MethodGit mentions the mantras fly completely randomly everytime. This is not true. They only differ their patterns once you:-
1. start the game again
2. go up or down a level
The only other time they differ is when you are holding either up or down on your keyboard/joystick before the mantra flies at you. Ie. if you expect it to fly towards your head so you hold the joystick down in anticipation, then it will fly towards your legs EVERYTIME!

NB.It goes without saying that each DIFFERENT mantra have different sequences. In this section I am referring to fight the mantra from the same screen of the map.

So here is my advice to you (if you are using an emulator...if you are using an Amiga then this won't help you). Grab a pen and paper, save just beforehand, and make a note of which way it flies the first time. If you dodge it, then great, quickly recover and make a note of the second wave and keep doing this until you have past it.

Everytime you die, restore the save state and press up or down as you have noted on your paper. Keep doing this until you have got past him.

If you die after you pass the mantra and you have to go back and fight it again cos you haven't saved, then the pattern is still the same! Provided that you start off on the same level as the mantra in question.

Believe me when i say this is tried and tested. Another thing you need to know even if you stay on the same level, and you run into the SAME mantra (ie restore your save to a point before you met it in that same screen), it might have more or less waves than you previously experienced. Ie, the first time you fight it, it might fly past you 7 times, and the next to you face it, it might fly past 4 times. Don't worry, the pattern is always the same.

Next up, the sniper. As long as you make notes of it's location, you can complete the game after having met the sniper 3 times. If you bump into it anymore, then forget about it, game over. It is almost impossible to dodge. (Most times it hits you without you being able to move.)

The policemen. (check out the one wearing the shades...he looks like a member of the Village People :-D). This doesn't really need an explanation. Obviously the more times you fight him, the more health he has. What works for me is to keep your finger on 'fire', and 9 times out of 10 you will beat him. Be sure to have the save state ready, just in case.

The mask. Easiest thing to do in this game. I came across this technique by accident, after being killed a lot of times. Move the screen into the bottom right hand corner, and he will hit you ONCE! Simple as! I have no idea what the significance of the rope being cut at the bottom is. But as one of you said, it probably signifies the bridge collapsing. (even though you're able to go over it as many times as you want...although it does explain his conveniant dissappearance thereonin!).

As a few of you said, yes, it was basically a case of searching every nook and cranny. And alas, it is my opinion that you will not beat this game without aid of a map, unless it is by pure luck or you have an amazing memory. I also believe that you cannot complete this with a standard Amiga, without being able to save.

I hope this is a help to anyone who reads it. And give me a shout if you would like a 'step-by-step' guide to beating this game. 157 not-so-easy steps, lol.

Also i will try get my maps scanned on here.

P.S. Please let me know if a part of this doesn't make sense and I will be happy to explain.

Last edited by cavedweller2000; 26 November 2007 at 00:31.