English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 June 2003, 17:33   #1
Maverick357

HD_floppys.adf are allways faulty ! Bug in WinUAE or what ?

I have a big problem with winUAE and the HD_Floppies !

First infos:
- I use the WinUAE 08.22.r4 and Workbench 3.1/3.9.
- Every drives (in the floppies tab menu) are on 3.5 hd
- i have try to change speed turbo/100%/200% without better result
- I have used 'standand' and 'custom' floppies without better result. With 'custom' floppy, ok to formatting (no problem to see) but while copying some files on it, the WHOLE PC is FREEZED.
Only option then... reset the pc !

- HD_Floppies.adf created with "adf directory" seem to be good without tracks errors.

Now what is the problem: !

After formatting a adf of hd-floppy, (everything seem to be ok during formatting !) i get allways the message from the workbench "track 1.xxx is not correct".
Same result on a "good" HD-floppy if i copy somes files on it inside the workbench/WinUAE, i get ALLWAYS tracks errors.
Sometimes the message happen during the copy of files, sometimes when i open the drawer after the copy is finished.

So what ? What is the problem with WinUAE ?

Is this A BIG BUGG of WinUAE ?
Is there any option to use/activate in Workbench/WinUAE ?

Do you have the same problem and/or do you have a solution ?

I really need the HD_Floppies.adf because the space disk is bigger (twice the size of a DD_Floppies.adf).

So, if you have the solution, please help me
Old 13 June 2003, 21:49   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Hmmm, I don't use UAE, but why not use the amiga side to handle the ADF's (the same as I do on a real amiga)?

Install this:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/pub/amine.../diskimage.lha

If you need a HD Dosdriver for it contact me...

I don't know if UAE supports PFS HD/DD Floppies but diskimage does...

A quick example using the Sonix adf (DD) that was posted on the zone a few days ago...

OFS: Used: 775,432 Free: 82,472 Total:857,904
FFS: Used: 752,640 Free:147,456 Total:900,096
PFS: Used: 677,376 Free:222,720 Total:900,096

All Disks have EXACTLY the same files on them and no compression was used, all files are in their original format.

iirc at one time I combined DiskSpare.Device (aminet) with PFS and jammed even more on a floppy
Old 14 June 2003, 10:36   #3
Maverick357

Hello,

Thanks for you reply

I used The WinUAE (the Amiga emulator) to create adf image of HD floppies (1760 Ko pf size) but after formating or after a write disk access, the disk whas corrupted.
I supposed tha the function of creating a adf image of a HD image whas bugged and try to create it with adf opus.

But WinUAE whas really bugged, not for creating the adf, but for all write access on HD adf (with version 08.22 R4, and with all version < 08.22 R7 of WinUAE).

Nothing whas said about this bug on the report bug news (on the download page of WinUAE) that HD floppies access have been fixed other else i had not posted this message !

When i speak about floppies, i speak about adf images of it equivalence in real floppies, but i don't precise it anytime that i write "floppies" for no making boring to read.

I know about the size of floppies and the real USABLE disk space between the different format/OS of workbench because i had long time ago (when i programmed on Amiga in assembly and C) all roms kernels books (the bible of hardware/software documentation of the amiga) and others technicals books.

The first format used on Amiga (OFS i think) whas not a FAT like the pc-disk but a sector (40 if i remember well) where the first block of the file whas referenced and the next block of the same file whas a adress of the next inside the previous block.

Anyway, i thank you for your help and reply

Hope that this nasty WinUAE bug will not coming back in futur release
Old 14 June 2003, 13:57   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Try this, it's an empty HD adf... just duplicate it before mounting it, if the adf creation in adf if bugged using this will be ok, if it also fails thenit's adf writing that is buggy

or just find a working hdf, duplicate it and format it under uae...
Attached Files
File Type: zip hdf_empty.zip (1.9 KB, 241 views)
Old 15 June 2003, 10:43   #5
Maverick357

You adf image whas perfect, and i have copied a lot of files on it for testing purpose and make a lot of disk operation on it without errors.

Everithing is ok now

Thank you a lot Severin
Old 16 June 2003, 06:18   #6
Chuckles
The Ancient One

This is just a thought, and it may not have anything to do with the problem you were having, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Since the Amiga originally only supported DD diskettes, the original disk formatting programs for the Amiga would not have been written to deal with the increased capacity of the HD diskettes, so I would expect that when HD drives became an option on the Amiga, revised versions of the formatting utilities would have had to have been produced. If that was the case, then if you were attempting to format a HD diskette with one of the older formatting utilities, I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't work properly. Like I said that might not have been the problem, but it's the first thing that occurred to me, and if that was the problem it wouldn't be a bug in WinUAE.
Old 16 June 2003, 14:11   #7
Maverick357

Hello Chuckles

No it is not a formatting version problem because i used allways the workbench same OS version.

With WinUAE 08.22.R7 no more faulty disk after formatting or write operation on the hd-adf.

With previous release of WinUAE (before 08.22.R7) there whas ALLWAYS faulty disk (like if the disk drive whas unreliable and damaged.

Now i have deleted all previous versions of WinUAE (zipped/install and run-time version) and use only the last version, i don't want loose all datas on my floppies everytime.

If you have a real Amiga with an faulty diskdrive, then you will not continue with it ?! You will change ut definitively !