English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 03 February 2012, 22:22   #21
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Retro-Nerd: I just checked Mantis - you are right. There is one issue relating to the keyboard, all the other "bugs" are in fact alternate versions.
Old 03 February 2012, 22:27   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Looks like another serious problem too.

Quote:
And the 3rd is the bug in the game itself: in the 5th world, 2nd level is the place in the upper part of the level, where the main character is stuck every time he enters the area (although in the normal game it is normally acessible). It is under the inclined plane with railway rails. The only way how to get from this trap is to get killed and loose a life.
http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=1626
Old 03 February 2012, 22:55   #23
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
That's true, but it ends always like this.
Where can I read more, this is riveting.
Old 04 February 2012, 09:20   #24
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I asked if there was a bug in a highly technical patch would recode the entire thing and you said:

You can do future updates (slightly) faster with your own code, so by that logic you would recode every single slave.

Either you have at least 40 hours to waste on Unreal to re-create Harry's work, or you think you can do it faster. And by your next (illogical) statement suggests you can do it faster as you don't spend time understanding their work:

And here was me thinking that the source code for the WHDLoad installs is actually in English and contains normal 68k assembler commands that most programmers (except you it seems) can read.

Your flawed logic says that you'd spend so much time trying to understand existing source code that it's quicker to rewrite it.

If you like, I can comment the Putty source code for you since Mr Larmer has used confusing (to you) labels like Load, Decrunch etc...

It's a simple cost/benefit ratio. You consider it a good use of 7 hours to code a decrypter, Galahad decided a memory snapshot of the vital part was adequate.

Your slave would take longer to load since you have to decrypt it, so you would spend 7 hours to make a slower to load patch that behaves identically to mine. Really efficient use of time. What next, rewrite the entire games from scratch?

I've heard your idle threats before, this is nothing new from you.

Nobody has reported any problems with the Putty install not working. It runs fine on my computer. There are some alternate versions that can be adapted with the existing install, I've even uploaded the source code. This rubbish about "can't be updated" is just nonsense.
To all of this nonsense I say: Mind your own business and learn to read, apparently that is something you still are not able to do. Finish your patches that have been "in progress" for years instead of telling people what they should do and how they should do it. Also funny how you always find excuses when I point out flaws in your arguments.

Concerning Tearaway Thomas, you call me arrogant yet you are not able to do that patch yourself, instead you post nonsense that is not possible to code a decrypter for that game. And about your "your slave would take longer to load" excuse, hahaha, I guess you can hear me laughing in NZ. This is, even for you, absolutely ridiculous. And you want to tell me how I should do things? You really are a right laugh. Point is: you lack the skills to do any half-decent protections, period.

As for recoding old Mr. Larmer slaves, I highly respect Mr. Larmer, he was an incredibly skilled patcher and I would have loved to talk to him, too bad I never had the chance. Something I won't ever say about you!

And that's the last thing I'll post here concerning this since all of this is useless.
Old 04 February 2012, 23:51   #25
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
And about your "your slave would take longer to load" excuse, hahaha, I guess you can hear me laughing in NZ. This is, even for you, absolutely ridiculous.
Are you serious? Let's just look at what my code does:

lea Filename(pc),a0
bsr LoadFileDecrunch

And your code:

lea Filename(pc),a0
bsr LoadFileDecrunch
bsr Long_Slow_Decryption_StingRay_Is_The_Greatest_Cracker_Ever

Of course your routine is going to be slower, as you're calling a long decryption. I can only assume you are joking about your version not taking longer to load, otherwise you are seriously stupid.

Quote:
Point is: you lack the skills to do any half-decent protections, period.
And where exactly have I ever claimed to be the world's best cracker? I asked for Galahad help because I couldn't see a quick way to get the game installed and unlike you don't have 7+ hours to spend when Galahad froze the decrypted code so quickly. And remember this is without a cartridge and WinUAE wasn't at the point you could just dump memory like you can now.

I guarantee there are games and protections you can't defeat yourself just like me, so once again you're the arrogant one thinking you are gods gift to cracking.

Quote:
As for recoding old Mr. Larmer slaves, I highly respect Mr. Larmer, he was an incredibly skilled patcher and I would have loved to talk to him, too bad I never had the chance. Something I won't ever say about you!
You highly respect him - yeah right. You don't even want to look at or update his source but completely scrap it for another of your "it took me 5 mins to knock this patch up on the way to work" patches. I cringe at just what you will have missed in these patches when you churn them out in 5 mins.

Quote:
And that's the last thing I'll post here concerning this since all of this is useless.
Hoorah, I have the final say!

PS: I wonder if your hatred is because of those first really buggy WHDLoad patches you uploaded on EAB a few years ago that I informed you about?

PPS: How's your Winter Camp crack coming along btw, you know, the game I first cracked for WHDLoad 10+ years ago and Galahad finished his disk crack this year? I'm a bit surprised you couldn't knock that one up in your lunch break. I can send you my source if you need assistance.
Old 05 February 2012, 00:26   #26
Graham Humphrey

Stop this now. It does not matter. At all.
Old 07 February 2012, 05:10   #27
Belxjander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Harry spent over 40 hours coding his patch for Unreal. I suppose you could redo that work from scratch in about 5 mins flat?

I bet you could redo all the Readysoft games in practically no time at all.

I suppose the SWIV scorebar fix with interrupt trigger in the copperlist, modifications to the memory routine along with all the other fixes are another 5 minute job for you.

How about the mega protected Parasol Stars? Is that another one you'd redo because you can do updates faster?

Disassembling slaves to replicate their work is lame when the source is available. You are unbelievably arrogant thinking you can redo any install faster without source than with it.

How is that any different to Mr Larmer sending his source so that someone else can update his patch since he's not around anymore? You don't even feel the need to read his source, so why should anyone read yours?

The double standard (since you can't work it out yourself) is that you think your source is so useful for others yet Mr Larmer's isn't when they are both readily available.

Yes, you haven't changed your "throw the toys out of the cot" mentality when someone dares to disagree with you.
***sigh*** honestly... I don't particularly care either which way...
but when I see blatant disregard and fud...

Codetapper: for some people reading the original code and understanding it can take as long as simply writing out a new program.

The old code is not simply ignored, but put aside, the new program is written up and then feature compared for functional differences...

there are different ways and means for the same results...

Don't ever expect any two "coder"s to ever agree on the same thing,

if you want respect shown for Mr.Larmer for the original slave then ask for that... but do not dictate to anyone else what they *must* or *should* do

unless you will accept the same in reverse about other things?

Old 07 February 2012, 08:02   #28
modrobert
old bearded fool

I suggest a duel at dawn; Codetapper vs StingRay... but instead of firing bullets both rivals produce a new Putty.s slave for a chosen version and someone competent enough will judge who the winner is. All in honor of Mr Larmer.
Old 07 February 2012, 08:18   #29
Graham Humphrey

I thought this had finished? Please can nobody else get involved with this either, thanks.
Old 23 February 2012, 19:04   #30
haynor666
retro maniac

Ah, the mighty hand of censorship act on me and Galahad.

StingRay, You could clean up your box here on EAB, it's full
Old 24 December 2013, 20:23   #31
tomead
tomead

Now that putty squad has been released, thanks to Galahad, any chance for the install for putty to be looked at in the new year Still got several versions of the disks that dont work with the install, and other issues as mentioned above ?
Old 28 December 2013, 15:31   #32
Hewitson

My suggestion would be to use the preinstalled version available on whdownload. There's really no need to actually install WHDLoad games from disk or update slaves to support alternate versions when this site exists. Better to concentrate on games which do not have a slave.
Old 03 January 2014, 23:25   #33
haynor666
retro maniac

Unless there are better/bug fixed versions.